Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

Tracer 2670..where to install a hardwired surge protector

I have a 2014 tracer 2670. My family and I have decided to go seasonal at a local jellystone park this summer in the Adirondacks of NYS. This is only my second season with a camper so im still a newbie.. I know I just got tired last summer of constantly towing the camper on a late Friday night only to packup and leave on a sunday, so we decided to go seasonal this summer and see if we like it...
Too my question, this year I want to purchase a surge protector as I believe Im gonna leave the power on all summer long even during the week when im not at the campground as I want to leave the fridge hooked up. After research I have decided im gonna get the progressive industries protection. I am still debating on the portable unit vs the hardwired unit. they are both roughly $250.00. I am not the most handy person in the world and if I pay someone to do it, its gonna probably cost me another couple hundred in labor to install the hardwired one which is why right now im leaning towards the portable one.
If I decide to go with the hardwired one where is the best place on the Tracer to hook it up? I found a video online that shows someone hooking it up right where the main shore power cord comes in. they removed that main junction box where that big shore power cord is and just hooked up that shore cord to the progressive unit instead. If I were to tackle this myself is that where one should hook this up? or is there a better place? If so, where do I get to this shore power cord from inside the camper? I wont pretend to be an electrician, but it really doesn't look all that hard to wire if im just swapping the junction box..seems like all I need to do Is remove the junction box and just hook up the positive, negatives and ground wires and that's it..seems simple... am I wrong? anyways im so sorry about this long post..does anyone have any other suggestions where I should install the unit on the tracer or is that the perfect spot? once again, in the 2670 where is this junction box where the surge cord hooks too?
btw, im still leaning towards the portable one(I know im taking chance of it being stolen, but cheaper then hiring someone to hook it up if I cant do myself)...
yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #2

The nice things about the hard wired unit are it's out of site (hidden from view) and you get the read out panel to monitor functions from inside your camper. That said I went with the portable unit because I wanted it away from my camper just in case. I've seen a coupe of pics of surge protectors that got zapped while doing what they're supposed to do and the plastic box was melted. I'm on a seasonal site and built a box out of PT wood. I secure the unit to the power pedestal with a bike cable lock that runs thru holes in the box. You can see the combination tumbler to the right of the unit in the lower pic. BTW I did cut a few holes on the top of the box sides for any heat to escape and put some window screening over those holes to keep insects out. I do remove both the unit and box when we close up for the season.

Click image for larger version

Name:	36.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	47868

Click image for larger version

Name:	37.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	47869
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Site Team

The cord comes in from the outside and stores on the floor under the cabinet / linen closet to the right of the bathroom. I know this because my thin wood face plate fell out on mine. Could that be a good spot ??

Or you could get one to install on the power unit itself.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote