Old 07-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Tracer Brake question

Hello All,
I just purchased a new 2012 Tracer Exec 2900BHS today. I just returned home with it and we are really happy with it.

My question involves the braking. We had a 2009 Surveyor, and with the "perfect spot" on my brake controller was always in the middle of the adjuster. If turned up, it would lock the brakes up even on pavement.

On this TT, I have it turned all the way up (to the max) to get the "perfect spot." I seemes to stop the unit okay, but I am wishing I had more if needed. Is there an adjustment somewhere that I can move to give it some more range?

Thanks in advance.

smib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Tow vehicle, brake controller, factory harness or aftermarket, trailer weight of old trailer vx new trailer? Help us with all of these and we'll see if we can help you out.

2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Things you can do----------

SMIB, first jack up each wheel off the ground, adjust each wheel brake shoes for a good fit. (the installers just half a-- the stuff together).See if this improves your brakes. If not, like mine (it was in the shop four times for brake problems) you could have a bad electric magnet in one wheel. I could not lock up my brakes to test to see if my king pin was locked properly. You can also check when you are towing by feeling the brake drums to see if one is "COLD" (not working). That will give you an indication of each wheels brakes are working or not. My controller was like yours, highest setting. I even purchased a new controller (didn't change).
Each time it was in the shop, they would say fixed, brakes were working. Well, they were not fixed. My brakes will now throw you through the windshield. I'm towing a 31' fifth wheel. I can sit still, pull the manual lever over on the controller, I can not move the 5 ver, all four wheels are locked.

A shorted magnet in the right rear wheel was my problem.

This will give you a start to trouble shoot your problem.
Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Posts: 30 tracer 2910bhs has the same issue...looks like I'll be checking that after my new axles get put on. I have the Husky Quest brake controller and it is set at 65-70 for a decent brake, haven't been able to lock up trailer at all...
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote