Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
WJC

Tracer trouble!!!

I was Cleaning my Tracer 3000 bhs and noticed the tires were rubbing on the under belly of the trailer, one tire wore through the black protective barrier and into the flooring, and the other three are making contact, but have not worn through yet! The trailer was purchased in Nov. and used only once. It seems the trailer is to heavy for the suspension! Initially we had the trailer in for leaking slides, they put bigger seals and fixed that problem. This was the trailer they discontinued! Reason we bought a new trailer was our last one was a lemon that we had for five long years, I hope we didn't do it again!!!
WJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #2

If you have rubber axles, make sure they haven't slipped on the mounts and rotated, which can drop the trailer onto the tires.. FR doesn't attach them properly.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
Commercial Member

WJC - Please contact our customer service manager, Brandon York, ASAP so we can get you some help. His # is 574-862-3033.

Sorry about the issue and we will work hard to get you fixed and camping soon.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #4

RV Guy, since you work for FR, can you tell me why the factory mounts the rubber axles with bolts in slotted holes? My rear axle slipped and rotated, which resulted in the rear tires being about a half inch higher than the front. That puts more load on the front axle and tires. Since they are light axles to begin with, I don't view that as an acceptable situation.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Hi, Crocus - Forest River is a big company with lots of divsions that each run pretty autonomously, so I can't speak for Forest River. However, at Prime Time we do not use any Rubber Axles nor does what you're describing sound like the way we mount our steel axles. I think you might be referring to Torsion Axles that some divisions use but I'm not sure.

I also can't speak with any authority on the "half inch higher" situation.

If you'd like to submit a picture on the forum that would help explain what you are talking about I'd be happy to take a look.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

PTM
Old 03-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #6

Yes, torsion axles. Sorry for the wrong term.
And you are correct, the regular spring axles are mounted completely differently, no chance for them to slip.
The funny thing with the torsion axles is that there are holes in the axle flanges to bolt them securely into the trailer frame, but FR simply didn't bother. All I had to do was drill holes through the frame and put the bolts in. I guess that is too much work for them?

I sure hope Prime Time does a better job.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
Commercial Member

I hope Prime Time does an awesome job .

If you'd like, I can find a customer service number for you at the division that built your product.

PTM
Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #8

That would be greatly appreciated, as I do need some things replaced on warranty.
Don't get me wrong, we love our Flagstaff camper, but just wish there wouldn't be quite so many little issues right away.
Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
Commercial Member

I'll post an answer tomorrow.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Crocus - I just sent you a Private Message with the contact info. Hope this helps.

PTM
Old 03-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
WJC

Well I called Brandon York primetime customer service manager, and he told me to stop bothering him only kidding ! he ask me to send some pictures via E-mail, I did and he replied he will send the parts to dealer to add another 1" clearance to the suspension system, not to worry. Well I'm still impressed with there customer service, they got right back right back to me and everything is set up for Monday!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
Commercial Member

"Stop bothering him" = RV GUY heart attack!

Glad to hear we got you going in the right direction.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

PTM
Old 03-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #13

WJC

Does your trailer have the Equa-Flex suspension? (see pic below)
Just wondering if it's something I should be looking out for. I have at least 3½" clearence at each wheel.

grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
WJC

hI
No I do not have the equa-flex suspension system, it wasn't offered to us, we bought off a lot! I think your fine with 31/2" clearance. My trailer was about 2'', talking to Brandon he going to raise the trailer about 1" making the clearance about 3"!

Click image for larger version

Name:	S7300018.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	4709
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S7300023.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	4708  
Old 03-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJC View Post
hI
No I do not have the equa-flex suspension system, it wasn't offered to us, we bought off a lot! I think your fine with 31/2" clearance. My trailer was about 2'', talking to Brandon he going to raise the trailer about 1" making the clearance about 3"!
Thanks, I appreciate the info.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote