Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #1

Tracer window problem??

Hi,

I wanted to bounce this one off the forum for some advice.

We purchased our first brand new TT back in 2013 (2013 Primetime Tracer 2670BHS). We LOVE it. As I was washing the exterior, after the long cold winter up here in upstate NY, I noticed the exterior wall had a slight deformity between the upper and lower bunk windows. After some googling, I learned this is an effect water may have if it's getting into the trailer and causes the side to delaminate.

I took the unit to the dealer where I bought it, and of course, I received the usual "your factory warranty ran out, and your extended service contract doesn't cover leaks" before they even looked at it. That being said, they looked this thing up and down. They could not find any evidence of leaking on the exterior. He mentioned that if I had water getting into the TT, I would see what he called "pimpling" on the inside wall. I told him I have seen that, in fact it's always been there and I just assumed it was sawdust or other fragments that were on the wall when they applied the wall covering (You wouldn't expect a new brand travel trailer would leak unless you step in a puddle). This is pimpled area corresponds to the bulge on the outside.

Long story endless...he said he had no idea where the water was coming from. Roof looked good, and the seals around the windows were fine. He pointed out that the window frame had weep holes. Indeed the bottom bunk window had two weep holes, but as I looked at the top bunk window, right above the bulge, I noticed there were black rubber seals installed in these weep holes in the bottom of the window frame, preventing water from being able to drain properly. The service tech said he had never seen that before, he took photos and one of these rubber seals and was going to give it to his warranty people to send to PrimeTime.

My question to the forum is who is responsible for removing these seals? I am sure they are supplied with the windows when PT installs them, but shouldn't they be removed prior to shipping to the dealer? If it sits on the dealer lot out in the elements, obviously water could be trapped in this window frame before the unit is ever bought causing damage, as in my case. Alternatively, is this the responsibility of the dealer? I'm afraid now that I have significant damage to my TT that will negatively affect trade-in or resale value. The damage is more evident now than when I purchased it new because these plugs were left in it, and now my warranty is expired. Who should be held responsible?

Thoughts?
Kapazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #2

where in upstate NY?

did you happen to buy this unit at alpin haus? i purchased a 2014 tracer 2670 in amsterdam alpin haus two years ago... i will have a look at mine next weekend to see if mine has these rubber plugs also... i am not sure what pimpling looks like.
yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #3

Yes it was Alpin Haus. Still waiting for their response. I contacted PrimeTime on my own and they requested photos. I sent them and they sent back some incoherent e-mail that was missing words and had several misspellings saying in the end "We regret this is a repair in which PrimeTime cannot participate". I, in turn, responded blowing holes in all their reasoning.

Guess this is going to be a battle that I am more than ready for.

I've attached a picture of the pimpling. Hope this helps you out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image003.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	76957  
Old 05-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #4

is this just under one window? are these "pimples" hard? might be something other then water perhaps? im not sure if mine has those or not... take a picture if you can of the outside deformity that you see? if you can..thanks.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:22 PM   #5

Here's the other photos...one shows the bulge on the outside. The other shows how the weep holes in the window frame were plugged. (They uploaded upside down)

To answer your question, yes the bumps are hard, which is why I didn't think it was a result of leaking. These were present when I took delivery, all inside underneath this particular window, but as the weep hole plugs were left in, or more to the truth, not noticed, the bulge developed. This is the only place where these bumps appear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	76973   Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	76974  
Old 05-14-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

your 2670bhs looks different then mine

mine has the bunks to the left of the unit as you walk in the door... and the right side of the unit is the main bed... You said this is a 2670? and wow, i see that delamination. doesnt look to bad though... i wonder if you can just unplug the window and have this fixed? i wouldnt let it ruin your summer...way too short up this way to have summer ruined....
As far as those plugs, i know i had one of those plugs on the slide window, i never checked the rest of them... looks like we should all be checking these now...either way, i would hope primetime or alpin haus would cover this..
Old 05-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #7

Well, some good news for once...After getting no where with PrimeTime Mfg. directly (who claimed this was caused by lack of maintenance on my part), I had my dealer go to Forest River on my behalf. They determined this was due to lack of adhesion from the factory and the weep holes being blocked by the rubber plugs contributed. Forest River is paying for $1500 for repairs to the outside , but denied repairing the pimpling. I'll take that deal I suppose. Better than nothing. Estimate for the repair is right around that amount. Thank you to Forest River and Alpin Haus for coming through. Please pass your customer service values down to Prime Time!
Old 06-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #8

Here we go again...

Well, took the RV to the repair facility for the appointment. Body shop manager took one look at the camper and told me his estimate was too low (he was sent pictures). We then called the "stealership" together, and they told me all Forest River was willing to give was $1500. The rest was up to me to pony up. The body shop manager said there is no way to repair this without replacing the whole sidewall...$$$$$$$. Holy Crap!!!...now what?
Old 07-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #9

I am looking to by 2015 Tracer 235Air and the first thing the dealer had told me that Prime Time has a lifetime Warranty (not sure what that lifetime actually covers)
lennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyl View Post
I am looking to by 2015 Tracer 235Air and the first thing the dealer had told me that Prime Time has a lifetime Warranty (not sure what that lifetime actually covers)

Run from that dealer!!! Never heard of THAT! Sounds like he'll tell you anything to get the sale. Prime Time units are awsome but, no "lifetime warranty".
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #11

Prime Time offers a two year on their Sanibel units

I believe the rest of their line is only one year and the second year from Forest River is NOT available on Prime Time units either....👎

NEVER heard of a lifetime warranty on any RV ever...!!!!
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #12

sorry, asked the dealer again about it and it is the dealer that is giving lifetime warranty
Alpin Haus
lennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #13

Noticed two more "lumps" on the rear of the trailer. Definitely looks like fasteners of some sort working their way out right where the rear storage bulkhead attaches to the rear wall. One is directly below the other about three inches apart. Contacted dealer about this and it appears there is no way this can be caused by water or leaking windows. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1438040497.450945.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	84337

Now I've been told by the dealer that PrimeTime/ Forest River WILL pay to repair both defects. Not sure yet if a body shop is doing this work or if it's going to be the dealer. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:55 PM   #14
Site Team

Think you are talking about warranty forever ( RV Warranty Foreverâ„¢ - Home) . This is more of a money making gimmick than anything. You need to have your RV inspected by an RV service center ( they push theirs) every year for a few hundred bucks. In return some of the stuff on the unit is covered. If you miss one year, the warranty is void. You are usually better off taking the money spent on the annual inspection and putting it in the bank to cover repairs. Standard warranties are 1 or 2 years. Be very suspicious of anything else, even the extended ones for thousands of dollars. Remember you bought your RV to use and have fun. That can't happen if it is sitting on a dealers lot waiting for them to get to it to make repairs.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapazoo View Post
Noticed two more "lumps" on the rear of the trailer. Definitely looks like fasteners of some sort working their way out right where the rear storage bulkhead attaches to the rear wall. One is directly below the other about three inches apart. Contacted dealer about this and it appears there is no way this can be caused by water or leaking windows. Attachment 84337

Now I've been told by the dealer that PrimeTime/ Forest River WILL pay to repair both defects. Not sure yet if a body shop is doing this work or if it's going to be the dealer. I'll keep you all posted.
Before having that repaired, I would ask how/what they plan to do. You may actually be better off just living with those spots as the repair may be worse than the bumps.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote