Old 10-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Trailer brake?

we just brought home our 3150BHD and need help on what does the proper setting on the electric brake feel like ? should I set it to lock up tires then back it down till it wont lock up? i have no idea . please help and thanks in advance for all your help and support

Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
On my trailer, I can't get the wheels to lock, except in gravel. I go by feel. I like to feel the trailer pulling some when I stop. In town, I will use a lower setting to keep the trailer brakes from jerking, and on the open road I will use a higher setting for a possible speed stop.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
I also like to set my brakes so that I can just feel them trying to stop the truck. I do this with a 6400# work/cargo trailer and my 30 ft. RV. One thing I was taught years ago was to use wet grass to set the trailer brakes, although this is not always available. Just set the brakes to slide the tire coming off of a 30 mph run, then on pavement they will work, not slide.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
We're all different. My setting is use the same amount of pedal pressure and the same amount of distance as if the trailer wasn't there. I don't like to feel the trailers doing all the stopping work. Also, the truck has anti lock brakes, the trailer does not, so I had rather them not lock up. A sliding tire will not stop as short. Just my opinion.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
X2 with what Windrider said
IMHO you should not feel the trailer push or pull you when you apply the brakes - it does depend on if you have a RAMP or INERTIA controller to some degree though some info at
Trailer Brake Controller Information | & Inertia Vs. Proportional Brake Controllers |
PT Avenger 33BHS-TE
GMC 2500HD SLE 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0 with 4.10's
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote