Old 10-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
You are quite welcome. I agree with KyDan, that you need to check the water levels in the battery. This is part of regular maintenance. Depending on the make/model of converter you have, also dictates what kind of battery charger you have. They can boil the batteries over time.

Disconnecting the negative wire is easy. Many people, though install a battery disconnect switch inline somewhere that they can turn instead of having to remove the battery tray cover repeatedly. It's just up to the individual to decide what works best for them.

Just always remember to make sure you reconnect the negative cable (or turn the disconnect switch correctly) before traveling, as the RV battery is where your trailer brakes get power from in case your emergency breakaway switch is activated, in the event of your trailer separating from your tow vehicle. God forbid.

Also, if your battery is dead when you first hook up to your TV, the charge line from your trailer plug will start to charge your TT battery but, not as fast as a regular standalone charger or the converter in the TT once plugged into shore power. So........if the TT should break away from the truck, there most likely will NOT be enough charge in the TT battery to activate the trailer brakes properly if at all.

P.S. I used to take the positive cable off while in storage and took the battery off the TT and kept it at home connected to a "battery tender" during the winter.

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
Is your refrigerator on a slide out? If so, there is an automatic cooling fan in a lot of trailers for refrigerators on slide outs.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
True, but I think that fan is outside the trailer.

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
[/B]

Also, if your battery is dead when you first hook up to your TV, the charge line from your trailer plug will start to charge your TT battery but, not as fast as a regular standalone charger or the converter in the TT once plugged into shore power. So........if the TT should break away from the truck, there most likely will NOT be enough charge in the TT battery to activate the trailer brakes properly if at all.

P.S. I used to take the positive cable off while in storage and took the battery off the TT and kept it at home connected to a "battery tender" during the winter.
Good advice on making sure the battery is charged before traveling.

You can disconnect either battery cable. However, It's always a safety issue and best practice on a negative ground system, to remove the negative cable first when removing a battery and connecting last when installing a battery. This way there is no danger of arcing across your wrench or rings on your finger as many people do if they touch something metal with the wrench/wratchet when removing the positive cable...if the negative cable is still connected. If you always remove the negative cable first or only, then you will not be in any danger if the wrench/ratchet comes into contact with some other metal while removing the positive terminal. Many a person has also burned themselves with their wedding bands this way too.

That's why I ALWAYS recommend just removing the negative cable in these situations and leave the positive alone.

An internet search should confirm this, if anyone doesn't want to accept my statement at face value.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, fan, trailer