Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #1

Trailer breaker fan keeps running

Hi guys, not sure how to explain this other than to try and keep it simple. I have a 19 foot Prime Time Avenger, 2013 model, I use it several times a year and keep good care of it, however I found an issue I cannot really isolate.

When I plug in the trailer at home, the little fan on the breaker panel under the fridge keeps running, does not stop. When I unplug it and let it sit shut down for a week or so, I have no power to run off the battery. Before I take it out hunting, and have no power, does anyone know what this could be? Or is that normal?

I have a Eu200i generator I always bring but this concerned me as I was cleaning it after my last trip out.
NorthernVandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernVandal View Post
Hi guys, not sure how to explain this other than to try and keep it simple. I have a 19 foot Prime Time Avenger, 2013 model, I use it several times a year and keep good care of it, however I found an issue I cannot really isolate.

When I plug in the trailer at home, the little fan on the breaker panel under the fridge keeps running, does not stop. When I unplug it and let it sit shut down for a week or so, I have no power to run off the battery. Before I take it out hunting, and have no power, does anyone know what this could be? Or is that normal?

I have a Eu200i generator I always bring but this concerned me as I was cleaning it after my last trip out.
OK, the little fan you hear is most likely to the converter, as they are many times placed right underneath the electrical distribution panel. Are the air louvers there, if so, then it's probably the converter.

OK, what the converter does is when you are plugged into 120 volt AC shore power, it converts the 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC... to power the 12 volt DC things (lights, fans, pumps, detectors, radio. thermostats, etc.). The converter also recharges the battery.

When you are not plugged into 120 volt shore power, the 12 volt stuff runs directly off the battery, and you could still use these things off battery power. You also have parasitic slow drains off of the battery from things like the detectors, radio lights, etc. These will deplete the battery. Many people either disconnect the negative wire on the battery or install a battery cut-off switch, to stop these parasitic battery drains from occuring when the trailer is setup for awhile with no shore power.

If the battery is depleted enough times (it can go bad), so when you plug the trailer into 120 volt shore power, the converter is working hard to try and recharge the battery (remember the converter is your battery charger). This is why you are hearing the converter fan running when you plug in, as the converter is trying to recharge the discharged battery and thus the cooling fan for the converter is coming on.

So, yes it sounds normal for you, but you may want to check the battery out if it's discharging from parasitic drains in a week. It may have gotten so low so many times that it's weak or bad now.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:36 AM   #3
Site Team

These are some good articles by Mark Polk, I refer people to many times that helps in the understanding.

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...d-amp-draw.asp

What You Need To Know About Your RV Batteries - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:43 AM   #4

This is great advice already. Thanks kindly for the help. I was wondering what the issue could be, or if it even was one. I never really travel that far from home and usually it's to bbq competitions or the river nearby, I was just concerned that hearing it running when I hadn't noticed it before could have been a problem. I kept trying to find something that was left on or draining power, but the battery negative makes sense when I am going to leave it for a while.

I have a couple more uses to get out of it before the winterizing and winter stowage, so I wanted to find out if my fridge was drawing power or something. You live and you learn as you do this more and this place has been quite helpful every time I came for assistance, thank you again.
NorthernVandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:49 AM   #5
Site Team

Check your battery fluid level!!!! My guess it's dry and probably toast.
Add distilled water and either charge it with a stand alone charger or
plug in your trailer and see what happens. If the battery is 4 years old or
more OR dry in any of the cells- it's a goner.....
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
This is great advice already. Thanks kindly for the help. I was wondering what the issue could be, or if it even was one. I never really travel that far from home and usually it's to bbq competitions or the river nearby, I was just concerned that hearing it running when I hadn't noticed it before could have been a problem. I kept trying to find something that was left on or draining power, but the battery negative makes sense when I am going to leave it for a while.

I have a couple more uses to get out of it before the winterizing and winter stowage, so I wanted to find out if my fridge was drawing power or something. You live and you learn as you do this more and this place has been quite helpful every time I came for assistance, thank you again.
You are quite welcome. I agree with KyDan, that you need to check the water levels in the battery. This is part of regular maintenance. Depending on the make/model of converter you have, also dictates what kind of battery charger you have. They can boil the batteries over time.

Disconnecting the negative wire is easy. Many people, though install a battery disconnect switch inline somewhere that they can turn instead of having to remove the battery tray cover repeatedly. It's just up to the individual to decide what works best for them.

Just always remember to make sure you reconnect the negative cable (or turn the disconnect switch correctly) before traveling, as the RV battery is where your trailer brakes get power from in case your emergency breakaway switch is activated, in the event of your trailer separating from your tow vehicle. God forbid.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:

The fan you are hearing is going to be the converter fan. It is a small fan to keep the converter cool. Some may sssuggest it is normal to be hearing it but that is not completely true.

The more load the converter has passing thru it the warmer it becomes till it reaches a point that it needs the fan to come on and cool it down. Under normal conditions it will cycle on and off but if it comes on as soon as you plug into shorepower there is a heavy load from something.

I am assuming you are not running any lights or such when you unplut the trailer. There are loads such as your co2 detector and fridge that will put a continuous load on your battery but should not kill it in a week, if your battery is in good condition. If the battery is going bad, and I think it is, then the charging circuit may come on and get warm enough to cause the fan to run as you describe.

How old is your battery? Make sure it is not going dry and need water. It may be time for a new battery. If you do a lot of dry camping you might want to consider two batteries.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #8

I have a smaller trailer, too. My experience is more like what Jim describes.

When it has been plugged into shore power, and I initially enter the TT - it is quiet.
I turn on one came-with-the-trailer light (the D.C. ones) - still quiet.
I turn on another one - the fan starts running.

So, if the fan is running when you have been hooked up for a bit (so the battery has been topped off) and nothing appears to be on, that is a good indication to start investigations.

-Laura 2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH & 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi
actadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by actadh View Post
I have a smaller trailer, too. My experience is more like what Jim describes.

When it has been plugged into shore power, and I initially enter the TT - it is quiet.
I turn on one came-with-the-trailer light (the D.C. ones) - still quiet.
I turn on another one - the fan starts running.

So, if the fan is running when you have been hooked up for a bit (so the battery has been topped off) and nothing appears to be on, that is a good indication to start investigations.
Sounds like battery. After the trailer has been off of shorepower for an hour or so check the battery voltage. 12.75 would be a fully charged battery. Turn the converter back on and check again, should be around 13.7 volts. This would be an average when the converter is running a trickle charge, a charge to maintain a full charge on the battery.

The reason for waiting an hour or so is to let the battery settle down. 12.75 VDC is full (lets say 12.68 to 12.75), if it is down to say 12.3 VDC then it is time to think about getting a new battery. This is assuming your battery cells are full, but guessing you do keep an eye on that.

Jim

NOTE: Lights in a trailer can put a fair load on a battery. Many don't realize that those 12 volt lights draw about 2 amps each. They can draw a trailer battery down pretty quick. This is why I replaced most of mine with led bulbs. An led bulb draws about 1/10th the power, a BIG difference for the same amount of light!
Old 10-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #10

Trailer breaker fan keeps running

Is your refrigerator on a slide out? If so, there is an automatic cooling fan in a lot of trailers for refrigerators on slide outs.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
You are quite welcome. I agree with KyDan, that you need to check the water levels in the battery. This is part of regular maintenance. Depending on the make/model of converter you have, also dictates what kind of battery charger you have. They can boil the batteries over time.

Disconnecting the negative wire is easy. Many people, though install a battery disconnect switch inline somewhere that they can turn instead of having to remove the battery tray cover repeatedly. It's just up to the individual to decide what works best for them.

Just always remember to make sure you reconnect the negative cable (or turn the disconnect switch correctly) before traveling, as the RV battery is where your trailer brakes get power from in case your emergency breakaway switch is activated, in the event of your trailer separating from your tow vehicle. God forbid.

Also, if your battery is dead when you first hook up to your TV, the charge line from your trailer plug will start to charge your TT battery but, not as fast as a regular standalone charger or the converter in the TT once plugged into shore power. So........if the TT should break away from the truck, there most likely will NOT be enough charge in the TT battery to activate the trailer brakes properly if at all.

P.S. I used to take the positive cable off while in storage and took the battery off the TT and kept it at home connected to a "battery tender" during the winter.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
Is your refrigerator on a slide out? If so, there is an automatic cooling fan in a lot of trailers for refrigerators on slide outs.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
True, but I think that fan is outside the trailer.

Jim
Old 10-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
[/B]

Also, if your battery is dead when you first hook up to your TV, the charge line from your trailer plug will start to charge your TT battery but, not as fast as a regular standalone charger or the converter in the TT once plugged into shore power. So........if the TT should break away from the truck, there most likely will NOT be enough charge in the TT battery to activate the trailer brakes properly if at all.

P.S. I used to take the positive cable off while in storage and took the battery off the TT and kept it at home connected to a "battery tender" during the winter.
Good advice on making sure the battery is charged before traveling.

You can disconnect either battery cable. However, It's always a safety issue and best practice on a negative ground system, to remove the negative cable first when removing a battery and connecting last when installing a battery. This way there is no danger of arcing across your wrench or rings on your finger as many people do if they touch something metal with the wrench/wratchet when removing the positive cable...if the negative cable is still connected. If you always remove the negative cable first or only, then you will not be in any danger if the wrench/ratchet comes into contact with some other metal while removing the positive terminal. Many a person has also burned themselves with their wedding bands this way too.

That's why I ALWAYS recommend just removing the negative cable in these situations and leave the positive alone.

An internet search should confirm this, if anyone doesn't want to accept my statement at face value.

Tags
breaker, fan, trailer