Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #21

Yeah I am also 50% or lower of my towing capacity with my truck. The main issue with my 1500 is watching truck payload. A wife, 2 kids and a dog doesn't leave much left for payload. Maybe I should start leaving the wife behind.
sugarjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #22

Trailer issues feedback

Leave the DW and kids take the dog...lol

I no longer will have that issue, divorced, kids are 22 and 20 doing their own thing, I have a GF she lets me run the show and have a 36# dog so I am good. When camping with friends they always pack their stuff tight and heavy then ask me to take their overflow so that usually gets my 5.5 bed full...lol

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #23

Quote:
I also noticed my axle stickers while I was under my Tracer Air 250 were 2800#... Margin =200#. Anyone else find this to be an extremely small margin?

One of the reasons I chose the Tracer 3150 vs. Lacrosse is because they both use the same axles but the Tracer is 1000 lbs. lighter... I also chose a (used) Tracer Premiere vs. new Tracer Air because IMO Primetime cheapened the quality to reduce the weight & price. Also,
IMO now that RV sales are up the quality is down...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #24

My 2012 f150 Lariat supercrew 5.0 With 6.5ft bed and 4x4 is only rated to tow 7900 pounds with wd hitch according to my trailer hitch sticker. Assuming I'm loaded to gvwr, I'm 1800 pounds below my max tow rating which is at the upper limit of my towing comfort level with this truck.

On a side note, I was upset when I was looking for used trucks that none seemed to be available with max tow packages. The dealers said this was a special order package, which is why there were not many available on the used market. Most would order the 3.31 geared ecoboost trucks so they could claim good mpg when selling them. They would then have the audacity to say it would pull 11k pounds just like in the truck commercials. People not in the know buy it and go on their merry way, not realizing they were snookered by the dealer and actually drive off the lot with way less tow capacity than they think.

And trailer salesman are worse, they will put a wd hitch on any truck and claim you can pull anything with any pickup. They tried to sell me a 28ft bunk house with a dry weight of 6400 pounds and a gross weight of 9400 pounds! The salesman said no problem, we do it all the time. Once you pull it off the lot (which any pickup can do on flat ground), it's not their problem anymore.

Now I won't get into the details of why I believe Ford under rated the 5.0 trucks to encourage ecoboost sales (my 2012 is rated to tow less than my 05 with 5.4 motor which was a complete dog even with its 3.73 gears. The 2012 has more hp and a 6spd tranny, go figure).
coolzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolzzy View Post
My 2012 f150 Lariat supercrew 5.0 With 6.5ft bed and 4x4 is only rated to tow 7900 pounds with wd hitch according to my trailer hitch sticker. Assuming I'm loaded to gvwr, I'm 1800 pounds below my max tow rating which is at the upper limit of my towing comfort level with this truck.

On a side note, I was upset when I was looking for used trucks that none seemed to be available with max tow packages. The dealers said this was a special order package, which is why there were not many available on the used market. Most would order the 3.31 geared ecoboost trucks so they could claim good mpg when selling them. They would then have the audacity to say it would pull 11k pounds just like in the truck commercials. People not in the know buy it and go on their merry way, not realizing they were snookered by the dealer and actually drive off the lot with way less tow capacity than they think.

And trailer salesman are worse, they will put a wd hitch on any truck and claim you can pull anything with any pickup. They tried to sell me a 28ft bunk house with a dry weight of 6400 pounds and a gross weight of 9400 pounds! The salesman said no problem, we do it all the time. Once you pull it off the lot (which any pickup can do on flat ground), it's not their problem anymore.

Now I won't get into the details of why I believe Ford under rated the 5.0 trucks to encourage ecoboost sales (my 2012 is rated to tow less than my 05 with 5.4 motor which was a complete dog even with its 3.73 gears. The 2012 has more hp and a 6spd tranny, go figure).

I was looking at the F350 6.7 PS Crew 6&3/4 bed etc but at $62-70K and a daily commuter it made no sense. I opted for a New F150 FX4 Crew SB with EB. Mine is rated for 9800# with 3.55 but Service and Tech said I could tow 11,200 because gears are tall enough. Only thing Max Tow has over mine, bigger mirrors and 3.73 gears. I never exceed my max tow but this truck pulled my 7,000# 33 FT Shasta just fine. I now have a Roo so plenty of room for gear, but in 3 years I may go with a 9,000# or less Fifth Wheel as long as this F150 holds up.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 05-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #26

I agree with you guys on the ratings. I cringe when I see the weights people are pulling. I ordered my new 2014 Silverado with towing in mind. Yes its the 6.2L and max tow. Heavier leaf springs, 3.73 gearing, trans cooler etc. Yes its rated over 11,000 pounds towing but there's no way on gods green earth I would tow that cross country. I already put new shocks, tires, deep tranny pan, tuner and timbrens on just to make it as good towing as I can. I sized my 250 air to be right in the sweet spot towing. I love when people talk about towing 10,000 with my half ton and it does great. I tow 6,000 and know what my truck does on inclines. It's a gasser not a diesel. Love my truck does exactly what I need within its limitations. Would have bought a 2500 but the darn thing wont fit in the garage. I'm not leaving that kind of money sitting outside in WI winters.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #27

As far as I've been able to determine, max tow gets you tow mirrors, 3.73 gears, and an extra leaf spring. Transmission and engine cooling system is unchanged from the standard tow package. Meaning if you put LT tires on and a set of Helper Springs or load leveling shocks with coil springs (I opted for the latter with LT tires, no sag whatsoever and cost 89 bucks, installed in a half hour without removing the tires). Ecoboost has the torque lower in the rpm band so it's not screaming the motor at 3500rpm climbing the steeper grades but transmission cooling wise, it's the same as all versions of the truck with standard tow package.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #28

Yep your correct on most of that, except my 6.2L got me 420HP/460 lb-ft of torque and thats stock not tuned. The GM NHT max trailering package also includes a 9.76-inch rear axle, and integrated trailer brake controller, along with the heavy duty leaf springs 3.73 and tow mirrors. So for me the package was definitely worth it.

I actually did not even go to LT tires. I have always run Michelin LTX/MS2 tires. Great tires 3rd set I have run. The biggest improvement for me was the 3.73 gearing. It holds gear far better then my last Silverado did. I also really like my timbrens, pretty much bullet proof on those.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjohnson View Post
Yep your correct on most of that, except my 6.2L got me 420HP/460 lb-ft of torque and thats stock not tuned. The GM NHT max trailering package also includes a 9.76-inch rear axle, and integrated trailer brake controller, along with the heavy duty leaf springs 3.73 and tow mirrors. So for me the package was definitely worth it.

I actually did not even go to LT tires. I have always run Michelin LTX/MS2 tires. Great tires 3rd set I have run. The biggest improvement for me was the 3.73 gearing. It holds gear far better then my last Silverado did. I also really like my timbrens, pretty much bullet proof on those.
Michelin LTX/MS2 are LT's . I've had 2 sets and there the best
P tires are just too squishy for towing.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #30

Quote:
As far as I've been able to determine, max tow gets you tow mirrors, 3.73 gears, and an extra leaf spring. Transmission and engine cooling system is unchanged from the standard tow package. Meaning if you put LT tires on and a set of Helper Springs or load leveling shocks with coil springs (I opted for the latter with LT tires, no sag whatsoever and cost 89 bucks, installed in a half hour without removing the tires). Ecoboost has the torque lower in the rpm band so it's not screaming the motor at 3500rpm climbing the steeper grades but transmission cooling wise, it's the same as all versions of the truck with standard tow package.

I am doing the 2.5" front leveling kit by Ford $400 installed and swapping Pirelli's for BFG KO2 LT275/55/20 on stock FX4 rims. What suspension kit did you install? Also replacing stock air cleaner with a K&N Large unit to help the EB breathe better.

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 05-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjohnson View Post
I was having work done this spring getting ready. Brakes adjusted, bearings packed and EZ-Flex installed. Trailer is one year old and two of the rear seals were leaking already, They also had two different grease colors in the hubs. EZ lube has never been used by me since new. So despite being new check those bearing seals I guess.

I also noticed my axle stickers while I was under my Tracer Air 250 were 2800#. I did some rough math and it works like this.

Per door sticker:

Dry weight- 4950
Max cargo-950#
4950+950=5900#
Subtract 500# Hitch weight =5400#
2800# axle x2 =5600#
Margin =200#

Anyone else find this to be an extremely small margin. The trailer also only has 10x1.5 brakes again somewhat small in my opinion.
I may have missed it somewhere in reading the posts, but the tongue weight should not be subtracted from the GVW as it is weight on the tow vehicle and not on the axles.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Michelin LTX/MS2 are LT's . I've had 2 sets and there the best
P tires are just too squishy for towing.
Yep your right. I actually was thinking back to another set I had which were a higher load range. Those were like riding on rocks.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #33

If you tow, I would advise against leveling the truck. It will make the back sag, that's why these trucks have a factory rake, so when you put a trailer behind them they sit level. I installed the Monroe sensatrac load leveling shocks. They have a coil spring around them and are a direct bolt in replacement for the lousy stock shocks. No change to unloaded ride, though they will lift the rear of the truck an inch or two.

The stock air system on these trucks is very good, you won't see any improvement by adding a K&N except a lighter wallet and the oil from the filter messes with the sensors in the intake. Also, leveling will reduce your mileage but so will the bigger tires so be prepared for that.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
I may have missed it somewhere in reading the posts, but the tongue weight should not be subtracted from the GVW as it is weight on the tow vehicle and not on the axles.
Correct it counts towards GVW but when I spoke with Dexter they actually subtract it when calculating axle capacity.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #35

Quote:
If you tow, I would advise against leveling the truck. It will make the back sag, that's why these trucks have a factory rake, so when you put a trailer behind them they sit level. I installed the Monroe sensatrac load leveling shocks. They have a coil spring around them and are a direct bolt in replacement for the lousy stock shocks. No change to unloaded ride, though they will lift the rear of the truck an inch or two.

The stock air system on these trucks is very good, you won't see any improvement by adding a K&N except a lighter wallet and the oil from the filter messes with the sensors in the intake. Also, leveling will reduce your mileage but so will the bigger tires so be prepared for that.

Ah maybe I will do suspension kit first and I am simply swapping Pirelli's for BFG's same size except going to LT and trashing P rated tires

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Tags
trailer