Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #1

Travel Trailer or Fifth Wheel

We currently have a Lacrosse 327RES and have had some discussion of moving to a Sanibel 5th wheel. The thing is when we look at a FW it is about $20,000 more for a similar unit than a TT.

I’ll be honest I know little about the construction and the amenities differences to understand why it is so much more. I know the FW weighs about 3000 pounds more so I am guessing the structure is very different. Is a TT built with keeping weight down much more than a FW.

We have had a trailer for about 3 years and love traveling and camping we spend about a 100 nights a year in it with a couple of multi-week trips a year and a lot of weekends regionally.

The tow vehicle is of no concern, right now I have a F250 and the next truck will be a 1 ton for business reasons.

So please help me understand the major differences between a Travel Trailer and a Fifth Wheel?
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
Denver, CO

Oh brother, lots of opinions on this. The structure on the fifth wheel is more complex and carries more weight on the frame forward but I don't think it makes big price difference. I have not shopped for both and didn't know there is such a price difference. I like the way a 5er tows better so I have gravitated toward those, but the TT are safe also, if properly hooked up and you are obviously comfartable with one. i currently have a small truck camper so am not in the game at all.

I'll be interested in the answers to this one.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #3

Just my 2 cents owning both over the past 30 years I would not own another TT. Even went so far to replace my car hauler with a 5th wheel.

I do not see a big difference in price when we were looking three years ago maybe about $2-3,ooo more for the fifth wheel.

The plus side.... Easier to hook up, tow better, the same length trailer putting part of the trailer over the bed making total length shorter. Fewer people can tow it off (plus & minus). Basement storage area in a fifth wheel is usually greater. Propane tanks & battery behind doors.

I will think of more........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Oh brother, lots of opinions on this. The structure on the fifth wheel is more complex and carries more weight on the frame forward but I don't think it makes big price difference. I have not shopped for both and didn't know there is such a price difference. I like the way a 5er tows better so I have gravitated toward those, but the TT are safe also, if properly hooked up and you are obviously comfartable with one. i currently have a small truck camper so am not in the game at all.

I'll be interested in the answers to this one.

X2 In your case, jumping from the Lacrosse to the Sanibel, is like going from a luxury "weekender" TT to a 5er designed for more long term/full time use. As mentioned previously, storage in the Sanibel is HUGE compared to a TT. The ceilings are higher in the 5er and the Sanibel has residential style option for the fridge. And comes with a 10 gallon HW heater, large residential style microwave, double wide 12 cu. ft. refridge, 2 a/c's, ceiling fan, 2 televisions, holding tank heaters & 50 amp service as standard equipment and much larger closet space. There is probably more but, all that adds to the cost and weight as well as the ease of towing (as mentioned). All worth it to me for the comfort and better quality standards.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #5

Well we just moved from a 27' no slide TT to a 37' 3 slide TT. But with this move we knew it was only going to be for 6-7 years until we moved into the 5er realm. We purchased the 329BHT for the kido's but the big difference that we can see is the outside/inside storage. Especially the outside! We have the 12cu fridge and ample counter space (more is always better) but outside storage is pretty much nonexistent. You will get nice things like central vac and washer/dryer options in the 5er as well as king beds and closet/wardrobe space. Now some of theses items can be found in a TT but I do know they can definitely be found in just about all 5ers.

If you are comfortable towing a TT then you may not know a 5er is back there with the right setup. The two can not be compared in towing discussions with the right setup (IMHO).

Where I truly believe the jump can be made is the extended living and # of occupants during the stay. I have done a lot of comparison with 5ers vs class A's and found that a 5er is the same sqft inside and within about 20% in outside storage. Now this is staying under 500k for class A. Going higher and you can get marginal more for the money. I'm only talking space/storage not trim.

I really think this has been one of the hardest decisions we made as to what style we wanted to do our long stay recreation in. My $.02 is do your research, when camping talk to the folks around you that have what your looking for and then look at all the available models that you can so you know it's what you want.

Happy hunting😊
gatnfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #6

We went from a 35 foot TT with bunk house and outside kitchen to the Sanibel 3601 FW and have never looked back. After pulling the TT down to Daytona last year and then trading on the 3601 in the fall taking it down to Texas for the first trip and I knew we made the right choice after pulling it down the road. And then after having the extra living space we knew it was the right choice for us. Twice the storage also. good luck and enjoy.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #7

Ok, so I guess I'll be the desenter ~ is that a word? ~ anyway ~ we've had both. Pro's for a 5er certainly include carrying all you want with you and you have lots of room to stretch out. Was great with 2 kiddos, dog cat etc...... but ~ I like small county parks. We've pulled in to parks with 20 spaces available and not fit into even one of them. Weekend ruined. Why they let tenters take up the big spots is beyond me. Also, the worst arguments DH and I ever had were in direct relation to that rig ~ parking, etc. So, for us ~ a TT is a better fit ~ and we haven't had an argument parking it yet ;-) I will be quite content with our TT for a long time to come
Old 01-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #8

I started with a TT and it was nightmare to pull, every 18 wheeler that came by moved me all over the road. Inside was nice but almost no outside storage it was a Fleetwood Terry. Easy to back into any camping spot. Now own a Cardinal 30RK,, this beast tows like a dream. An 18 wheeler can barrel by and you will not move a inch on the road. There is so much outside storage it is crazy,,, I fit everything plus more that went in my pickup bed,, most importantly it stays there so there is little load time between trips. Hooking up takes minutes compared to hooking up anti sway bars and levelers. The only negatives for the 5vr is the height. Here in
Fl we have lots of live oaks which have lots of low branches, so you really have to be careful 12'8" is a lot of height.
sor126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #9

Clancy has a very good point,,, there are spots I can not get into in small parks. With that said, I always call ahead and not trust the web. Ok pulling a 5th wheel Ranger what spots can I get into?? If is is first come first server park, that is a real risk
sor126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #10

Lots and lots of opinions on this and all of them are right based on the experiance of the RV'er. It is widely believed that the 5th wheels are a more stable platform for towing and i think the facts are out there to back this up. The right hitch work couppled with a correcty loaded TT and TV can be pretty darn stable as well, however you may need to put in the work and moeny to get to that point. I have only ever owned a TT and went through the hitch game and finally settled on somehing i have great confidence towing down the road. It could also be the miles I have under my belt as well. I like that i can use my full bed while towing the TT (mindfull not to exceed payload) and as others said, TT's are generally lower profile and typically weigh less so there is that in tight sites. It stinks hooking up a TT compared to a 5th. It stinks climbing staris inside your RV especially if oyu have older pets and such in a 5th. The price of a 5th is generally higher than a TT. I would suspect that longer stays in a 5er would be much more enjoyable. I have a 12 day trip at the end of May...I may change my tune on this whole TT thing after that. JMO's
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #11

We pull a TT because we always take our golf cart camping with us and toy haulers are way over priced around here. We actually like TT's and have no trouble pulling or hitching one up. We will skip the 5vers and go to a class A eventually and if we don't get a class A we will more than likely get another TT. I think a lot of folks make the whole TT vs fifth wheel more complicated than it needs to be.
Looking to purchase a Georgetown 364 ts Mh in the next couple of years.
mr dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #12

We bought our second 5er this past spring--salem hemi 336rlt. IMO way easier to tow than any travel trailer we have owned over the years. To each his own though.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #13

Late to the party on this but We are a former TT owner (Pop-up as well) we would NEVER go back to a TT - a 5er is so much easier to pull, so much more room, and just a NICER unit overall.

If you have specific questions - ask away - we will be happy to answer
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
RV Newbie

I'm new to all of this, so take my comment with a grain of salt.

I've been researching trailers the last few days, and the impression I got was that 5th wheelers are more for longer stays. More room, larger appliances, heavier. If I could tow a 5th wheeler I'd go that route since I'm looking for the most comfort for longer stays, but my F150 Raptor is limited to 8000 lbs. towing and according to the Ford towing guide my 5.5' bed cannot handle a 5th wheel hitch. That's fine since there are very few 5th wheelers I can tow. TTs give me a lot more choices in that weight range..

It's what I've observed so far.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #15

Like many we have progressed through various types of rigs. We started out in tents, moved to Pop Ups (had 2) and then TT (had 2) and now our 5'r. While I hate to use the word never, I will in this case. I won't even consider going back to a TT. It is a complete non-starter for us.

Both my wife and I have had severe back issues that can come and go and we are aware of that. With our 5'r the hitching and un-hitching process involve no crouching or bending, a massive plus for us.

Towing is like night and day, the experience hauling our 5'r is seamless and compared to the TT is a dream. Not that the TT was terrible, it's just a different feeling.

We also feel that our 5'r gives us way more room to breathe, especially on longer trips.

The floorplan and time in life will more often than not be the determining factor though, so why limit yourself to one or the other, go out there and look at as many floorplans as you can find.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:48 AM   #16
RV Newbie

In my case I already had a 1/2 ton truck I'm unwilling to part with, so that made my decision easier. When and if I get rid of my truck, my next one will definitely be 5th wheel capable.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #17
Camper Less Camping

Past owner of every type of camper except for the toyhauler and Class A & C's....the profound advantage of a fifth wheel besides the towing comfort, is the spacious interior due to high ceilings, opposing slides in the living area, storage and ample master bedroom space.
Give me a choice between similar length TT vs 5'ver...fifth wheel every time!

Old 01-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Past owner of every type of camper except for the toyhauler and Class A & C's....the profound advantage of a fifth wheel besides the towing comfort, is the spacious interior due to high ceilings, opposing slides in the living area, storage and ample master bedroom space.
Give me a choice between similar length TT vs 5'ver...fifth wheel every time!

X3.....or 4........Although there a several very roomy TT's with opposing slides that are advertised as "fifth wheel feel" or "fifth wheel floorplan in a TT", it's the ceiling height that gives it that monstrous feel when you walk inside. Go to a show or a dealer with a good selection of both TT's & 5ers. Walk into a single or small dual slide TT, then go to a TT with opposing slides and that "5er feel" floorplan and you would go ooohh ahhhhh. Now find a 5er with a similar floorplan and the feeling will be more like wooowwwww!!!!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #19

I've never owned a fifth wheel, but have a few observations regarding this topic. First, as far as towing each- pretty much everyone that swears by a fifth wheel and would never go back to a travel trailer pulled the trailer with a hitch in the $300-$500 range. Most people that invest in a really good hitch like a ProPride or Hensley have no complaints about towing a travel trailer. As far as being easier to hitch and unhitch with a fifth wheel- I assume this is because of the use of a basic WD hitch as well. With my ProPride I have to run a power tongue jack and use a cordless drill on the weight distributing bar jacks. I do have to use a bar and socket to lock the hitch together- I can see how this might be difficult for someone with and injury or disability. As far as storage goes, I see it as a trade off. You lose the bed to gain extra basement storage on a FW. You do gain interior height on a FW, but, as others have pointed out, this is a bad thing for towing. I've seen several FW's drag off antennas or damage ACs from low hanging branches. You do get a shorter overall length with a fifth wheel when compared to a travel trailer as some of the rig is over the bed. As far as quality and amenities, I think that difference is because people are comparing lightweight travel trailers in the $30K price range to FWs in the $60-80K range. Granted, the bulk of TTs are made to sell in the $20-$30K range, but you can easily get a similarly equipped TT. I hope to one day have a FW, but like pretty much anything with a trailer it's always a trade off.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #20

A big 5er can be very spacious and with the weight over the rear wheels it will tow better but you also give up the use of your truck bed. They generally weigh more than a TT which then requires a larger and costlier truck. The extra height is wonderful while camping, but can create problems at other times. The point is there are advantages and disadvantages to everything. Go to an RV show and spend as much time in as many different trailers as you can and buy what works you. Regardless if you get a 5er or TT, what you want to avoid is feeling like you are living in a box. Look for big windows and at least one nice open common area inside your camper. Envision a rainy week stuck inside. The wrong camper can feel very claustrophobic in a very short period of time.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer, wheel