Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #1

Trim Delaminating

Have a section of trim where the lamination (I think that is what is is) is peeling off. The section of trim is located on the wall adjacent to the ceiling. Not sure what caused it. It is occurring only in one area. Anyone else experiencing this on their Sanibel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02383.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	59536   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02386.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	59537  
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Have you had a problem with water or excessive condensation in that area? It looks like water damage to me. If that's just trim I'm looking at, it should be fairly easy to remove and replace with a better board that's been stained and varnished to match the rest of the interior.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #3

No problem with condensation or water leakage in the unit. Looks like the trim is bowed out. The unit will be at the manufacturer for upper frame flex repair and I will put this on the punch list I am developing for that repair period.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
Plain Old Member

Maybe not, but looks like water damage to me as well. Just odd it's in one area, and that's what the stuff looks like when it has gotten wet. In that second picture it looks like the wall board is peeled as well, or am I looking at it wrong? Even though you don't see any water, you still might have a leak. I'd be interested to see the outcome.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Maybe not, but looks like water damage to me as well. Just odd it's in one area, and that's what the stuff looks like when it has gotten wet. In that second picture it looks like the wall board is peeled as well, or am I looking at it wrong? Even though you don't see any water, you still might have a leak. I'd be interested to see the outcome.
I got real close for another look and that area where it looks like the wall board is peeled is the lamination that was on the trim. It looks like it split and is connected to the back of the trim. No water tracks or damage to wall or ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02391.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	59583  
Old 08-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Plain Old Member

Ah hah. That clears that up. Very possible then it's just a bad piece of trim. We have our fair share of laminated trim in ours that I plan on replacing with real wood / stain / poly. It just doesn't hold up in those high wear areas.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Plain Old Member

Was this piece like this when new, or did it do that over time? Wonder if it was sort of messed up when they installed it, and not as notciceable, and it just continued after purchase.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Was this piece like this when new, or did it do that over time? Wonder if it was sort of messed up when they installed it, and not as notciceable, and it just continued after purchase.
Didn't notice this until this trip. I had to laugh when my wife said that she thought it was real wood. I checked the rest of the trim throughout the unit and it all looks good. I too will be changing this out to real wood in the future. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
Plain Old Member

I think the only real wood in ours is the cabinet doors, drawer faces and sides, and of course the few studs in the interior walls. We have a ton of the laminate, even the board the mattress lays on is mdf. We're fixing to gut the entire bed frame and start from scratch. Then it's on to the trim, adding base boards, changing crown and so on as time allows. Every time my kids bump something it seems like I get a nice beauty mark to expose more mdf.

If you do start changing yours out, please post pictures. Everybody loves pictures of improvements, plus it stirs the brain and gives me ideas.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #10

Sitting here last night, which was an extremely humid night in Va Beach. Looked at the crown molding again and notice water droplet on the molding. So it is water damage and I do have a leak. Went up on the roof to see if there was any ugly and obvious indicators where the water could be leaking into the unit. I notice that the condensate from the rear A/C was running across the roof to the same side where I notice the molding water damage into a small gutter to the drain extender at the corner of the unit. I cleaned the runner and gutter and did a close inspection and could not see any cracks in the sealant or splits/tears in the roof material. The unit will be returning to Indiana for upper frame flex repair and I will be putting this on the list.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02520.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	60463  
Old 08-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #11
Plain Old Member

Have you checked the coil pan and compression gasket on the AC? I know the coil pan drains can get stopped up. Even though you see water draining outside, it still could be the pan. Might be full and some water spilling over outside, and inside. Either way if you don't see anything on the sealant or trim outside, and it's leaking when it's NOT raining, the AC may be he culprit. Also possible the water IS draining out of the pan correctly, but making it past an improperly compressed gasket. Would be odd the way the roof is sloped, but possible. There are several ways the AC could cause issues, but my guess by your observation and by the way the water looks, is that the water is running inside the ceiling.

Sent by ME