Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #1

Trying to decide between an Outback, Tracer, Lacrosse

Hi Everyone! I am new to the forum but have been trolling for a bit and have become well informed in my short time here. We have been shopping for a while and have narrowed our search down to the Prime Time Lacrosse 318bh, the Prime Time Tracer 3150bh, and the Keystone Outback 312bhs. All of these models have the outdoor kitchen and bathroom exit that we really like. As far as the rest of the trailer goes there are certain things we like in each and certain things we don't. I am just wondering if anyone else was looking at the Outback 312 when they were shopping and went with a Prime Time and for what reasons?

We were at a dealer in NH this weekend and the salesman couldn't give us a selling point that swayed us on the 3 models. We also are having a hard time figuring out the key differences between the Prime Time Tracer model and the Lacrosse (aside from weight) , what makes one better than the other?

Hoping for some help here
-Andrew
islander79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #2

I can't really say anything good or bad about the Outback. My wife and I did look at a few several years ago, they just weren't for us.

There are a few differences between the Tracer and LaCrosse models. The Tracers will have basically the same floorplans and construction, but are usually a little shorter in length, less cabinets, smaller windows and different slide mechanisms.

I can tell you Prime Time's customer service is second to none.

Here's a link to Prime Time's web site; Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels
You can use their contact page to ask any questions you may have. They're pretty good at getting back to you quickly.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

I almost forgot.
to the forum.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to weiman1983
My wife and I looked at lots of trailers before choosing the Lacrosse. Heres a few things that we liked better on the Lacrosse; power everything that was standard, the pantry inthe kitchen, 2 pots and pan drawers, touring edition which gave us the bigger fridge and the fireplace and a few small things. I did a lot of research as well and found tons of positive reviews about the trailer as well as Prime Time customer service. And the last one was that the dealership selling the Lacrosse was better to deal with.

Hope some of this helps you with your decision.
weiman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #4

Looked at a lot of trailers before buying our LaCrosse and decided we got the most for our money by getting the LaCrosse. More optional features were standard on it. Prime Time customer service has been great, we had some issues but all were taken care of by Prime Time, our selling dealer, and a local serving dealer. We felt it was just the best deal getting the LaCrosse.

Whatever choice you make will be the right one for you, so just do it and enjoy RVing in this great country of ours.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #5

was at the same spot

Please be advised....I am biased.......

I was where you were.... 2 years ago

Went with the Lacrosse 318 for the following reasons:
1. Higher overall R-value than Outback
2. Power stablizer jacks, tongue jack, and keyless entry (better than Outback
3. It did not have a swivel TV in entertainment center. I like the drop down tv bracket in the master bedroom (unlike both Outback and Tracer).
4. Large slam latch doors (compared to Outback)
5. EZ Tow axles makes it nice to tow (compared to Outback)
6. Prefer the setup of the outside kitchen better than 312bhs (swing out stove and outside shower/sink)
7. Outside shower to wash off the kids is on the other side of the trailer...not at the outside kitchen like on the outback
8. It has extra pantry in kitchen (compared to the Outback or Tracer)
9. Extra storage above and below the frig (compared to Outback)
10. Larger frig than the Outback
11. Floor seemed more solid in the Lacrosse
12. Better bottomline price (than Outback....Tracer was a little cheaper)
13. Preferred the real wood cabinets in the Lacrosse as compared to Outback)
14. Diamond plate in front cap provides more protection
15. Better quality plumbing that uses pex pipes
and finally.....PT's customer service is by far superior. You do not find the President of Outback on Outbackers.com helping out owners....nor will you get the fast and personal response to any of your concerns. Outback has the feel of a cold large corperation. I know, my sister has an Outback and has had problems....She would have bought a PT but they do not off a rear slide out model.

After Looking at Many.... here were my final rankings (top 10 with a bunk slide out and outside kitchen) in order of preference:
Lacrosse 318bhs
Tracer 3150
Outback 312bhs
Rockwood 8312
Flagstaff 831
Palomino Sabre 310BHOK (Was a Thorughbred Elite when I was shopping)
KZ Spree 321bhs
Jayco Eagle Superlight 304bhs
Laredo 303 tg
Sprinter 311bhs
Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #6

thanks for that valuable info. i have been getting quotes for the outback and the pt's so far the outback is the cheapest quote i have received. what do you think should be the bottom line on the 318? i don't mind spending the money but i do want the right price.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Granted, we are biased but we will throw in our 2 cents. Outback is a great product, but you might click on this link and then consider these items:

Keystone Outback | Floorplans

The LaCrosse has upgraded kitchen countertops.
The LaCrosse has a pantry beside the refrigerator.
The radius bath wall on LaCrosse is a nice touch vs. the square wall.
There is a pot and pan drawer under the stove vs. the converter - see their gallery.
There is a pot and pan drawer under the refrigerator vs. the furnace - see gallery.
We have a window at the dinette end wall - see gallery.
The entertainment center is upgraded and has a larger TV.
LaCrosse has wooden close-off doors into the bedroom.
The Toy Box in the LaCrosse bunk room is a nice add-on.
The LaCrosse has Slam Latch Baggage Doors, Electric Jacks, and an Exterior Convenience Center.
The LaCrosse Outdoor Kitchen is considerably nicer "looking" with the stone facade.

Best of luck and hope to see your name on Gary's PT Crew List soon!

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #8

I was looking at the same outback and went with the lacrosse. I made a spreadsheet between my top 3 ( lacrosse, outback, and Laredo). All the price points were fairly close. Bottom line...the lacrosse just offered more features, a real toilet and not plastic..I didn't like the white cabinets in the outback...Construction was also better on the lacrosse..
Customer service has been great with prime time hands down...price wise...I actually got the best price on the lacrosse. I mean I got a great deal...
The laredo came in at 25k...I got the lacrosse 318 for 23800...a knock out deal....so your can get the deals they are out there. And mine is brand new...2012!
I have since added cabinet doors under the dinette and prime time was great to deal with to get those..

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #9

Wow that is a great price compared to the quotes I have been getting. May I ask where you bought it? Also is it the touring edition? My lowest quote is 3000 more than that
Old 05-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #10

Islander, Mine is not the touring edition, but at that price I really didnt care. The extra options would have been nice, but I got a great unit all around for the price. I bought mine from the Great Outdoors in Fulton , NY. I also waitied until November, which here, is very slow for selling campers. It was the last 318 the place had, before putting an order in for several more units, so I think I was just at the right time with them. I have seen the Toruing edition out there at different dealers for 24-25K, just have to look. New Hampshire there is a dealer that sells at pretty good prices, I would have to check my history to see, as I do not remember the name of the place. Keep in mind that there is almost a 37% markup on RV's, so if you take the MSRP and subtract 37%, you will get a close estimate to wait the dealer paid for the unit, and that will help in your negotiations. I hhave owned 2 boats and still have one, and this was my fourth camper I have purchased...and everytime I have gotten a great deal, using that 37% number as a guideline. Good Luck..
Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #11

Islander...factory direct rv in Indiana has the 318 BHS for 24400 ish...they have a website I PM you..might be worth checking out..

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
Old 05-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #12

As stated earlier, we are bias also. But we have gone thru the comparo deal on many models including the outback. Lacrosse, hands down. The moment we walked into our 318bhs touring addition we looked at the salesman and said write it up. This was after 2 years of looking. Big pantry, great fit and finish, huge dinnette and power stabilizers and tounge jack. Sold baby.
HAARubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #13

Hi, did anyone compare the Rockwood 8312 (with or without the diamond package) to the Lacrosse 318bh?
feisaljiwan is offline   Reply With Quote