Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #1

Turning up the water heater on my 318bhs

I have an atwood GC6AA-10E. The gas/electric on/off switches are inside.

I have been through the instuctions and cannot figure out how to increase the temp of the HW. Lousy instuctions. Anyone? Please?
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
I have an atwood GC6AA-10E. The gas/electric on/off switches are inside.

I have been through the instuctions and cannot figure out how to increase the temp of the HW. Lousy instuctions. Anyone? Please?
Don't think you'll find one, I do believe they are non-adjustable. My understanding is they are factory set at around 140°.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #3

Well, that would explain why I cannot find it. Damn! I was hoping to turn it up a bit so I can have a warmer/longer shower.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #4

Do you know what the water temp is right now?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #5

no, but, I need very little cool water to make it feel the right temp. It just seems like I should be able to go a bit longer, even with only 6 gallons, especially at the feeble rate the water is coming out.

I have had a rough day. I want a long hot shower. Maybe I will break down and go to the bathhouse :-)
Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...I have had a rough day. I want a long hot shower. Maybe I will break down and go to the bathhouse :-)
That would be the simple solution, 6 gal is not very much regardless of the temperature. Even if you mixed it half and half, that's only 12 gallons. Even at 2 gal/min, you only get 6 minutes.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #7

Turn on both the electric and gas at the same time. It will recover faster, and make for a longer shower.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Turn on both the electric and gas at the same time. It will recover faster, and make for a longer shower.
Still won't catch up fast enough even at a reduced flow from my experience.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
no, but, I need very little cool water to make it feel the right temp.
140 degrees is usually quite hot and you need to mix a fair amount of hot and cold together to get it cool enough to shower under. I even like an extra hot shower (for my luscious long flowing mane).

I wonder if your water just isn't hot enough and there's an issue somewhere...

Does the Atwood have a water mixing valve built in that it brings in some cold to the hot to extend it's usage?

Do you possibly have a winterization valve partially open? Or another faucet (like your outside shower) that have the knobs on, but the button pushed to off on the showerhead itself?

Have you thought about changing out the showerhead for higher pressure that uses less water like an Oxygenics showerhead? And, are you practicing the "Navy Shower" concept where you turn off the water between steps?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Per post #5, she wants a long hot shower, so she is definitely not interested in the Navy shower.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #11

What about one of the newer tankless water heaters?

Got to be cheaper than a new trailer.

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...31.9Swkunqp7Y4
Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
She wants a long hot shower, so she is definitely not interested in the Navy shower.
Agreed! I thought about putting a caveat, but didn't.

I have to say- I didn't realize how much of a difference an extra 4 gallons make. I'm able to shower myself w/o turning off the water and I am a S-L-O-W shower-er (like 15-20 minutes minimum) and as I said before, I like it hot.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
...as I said before, I like it hot.
Was it not you that was complaining about the water being TOO hot just awhile back?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Was it not you that was complaining about the water being TOO hot just awhile back?
Yup. IMO, with little hands 140-degrees is too hot. I'd gladly dial my water heater back to 125-130 if I were given the choice. Still gives a nice hot shower and still protects the little hands. But let's not open that can o worms.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #15

Wow, Ependydad, I think the only question I can answer is "no, I am not practicing navy showers. " No point in practicing something I have no desire to be good at. :-) But, I will look into the other ideas and see if any make sense.

I like the idea of a tankless WH. We just installed two at home. Has anyone added them to their trailer? liked it?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #16

Now back to trying to help Laura.

Here's what I believe is the manual for your water heater: http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...er-Service.pdf

From my quick scan, it appears that it either has a temperature adjustment or is set at 140 but that can be replaced with an adjustable thermostat.

140 is quite hot however. I think you need to measure the temp of the water to seen if it's that hot. (Do that at the high-pressure relief valve so you know it's really the water temperature and not diluted by mixing.)

If it's 140 there, you might have a bypass valve set incorrectly, or you might have an open shower valve which is mixing the hot and cold
water.

I think we need some measurements before we can proceed any further.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #17

Sounds like a bypass valve may still be partially open. And I've been told that the hot water heaters get to 180 degrees. So, be really carefull looking for the problem.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #18

OK, definitely not the outdoor shower being on. Now I need to figure out what/where these bypass valves are. Before you wonder at my stupidity, this trailer lives in a temperate climate by the beach on the central california coast. I have never had to winterize a trailer. Bummer, huh? :-)
Old 11-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #19

Poor Laura. You miss out on all the fun. ;-)

The bypass valves are going to be at the back of the water heater. You can see where it is outside, so you just need to figure out where that is inside, or perhaps accessible from some storage compartment.

Hey LaCrosse owners! Where are your valves?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #20

Quote:
OK, definitely not the outdoor shower being on. Now I need to figure out what/where these bypass valves are. Before you wonder at my stupidity, this trailer lives in a temperate climate by the beach on the central california coast. I have never had to winterize a trailer. Bummer, huh? :-)
Hello, bypass(1) located behind the water heater and connects H-C. Normally closed in service yours, sounds cracked open. Heater is located in a cabinet inside directly inboard of the hinged grill outside at floor level. May need to remove a door with one or two fasteners to get access. Just for info normally just a little hot is needed with lots of cold for warm water. You had just the opposite. You'll get it.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
318bhs, heater, water, water heater