Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Unstable table

I am doing my pre-delivery inspection tomorrow on our new Lacrosse 318. When we purchased it, one stipulation was that they fix the dinette table. It is very wobbly and wouldnt be much good for drinks, etc as they would fall off with the slightest bump. The dealer called today and said that the table stand just appears to be a poor design and no remedy to the problem seems obvious. They have offered to convert it to a pedistal style setup but then I lose the ability to drop the table down to a couch table and I'm not sure how i'll support the dinette bed. We saw the same bracket on another Forest River camper and it appeared to be very sturdy. I was hoping they could just switch out the bracket. Anyone have issues with their tables? Any other suggestions?
bmiller131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #2

My table is stable and handy to put up and down. It certainly sounds like it is a defective table. I would not want a pedastal table. It is much more convenient to have a table that you can move around. You can move it out when people are sitting by the wall. If it is a defective table then it should be replaced....or is their floor issues in the slideout? I would take the table out of the camper...if it wobbles on the floor inside the dealership, then it is the table. If it does not....you have bigger problems and I am not sure I would accept delivery. If it is the table, I would call Brandon at Prime Time... although I would be concerned that your dealer is not working to replace it for you.....It does not sound promising for the future support by that dealership. My dealer and Prime Time have been super with any of my concerns. I am confident that PT will make it right!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #3

Thanks, good to know. I will assess the situation tomorrow. Dealer seems to be willing to handle it, I will just have to hold their hand a bit.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #4

Do you have the U shaped dinette setup or the free standing dining table with 4 chairs? If it's the U-shaped dinette table I found that the floor flanges that the table legs fit into, are made of "pot metal" and the "pocket" of the flange can break out if someone were to lean on one side of the table. If you take the leg out of the pocket and look in, you might NOT see the broken "pocket". But, if you unscrew the flange from the floor (or the underside of the table for that matter) you may then find the problem is a broken out flange pocket.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
The Old Man

Probably my only major beef with my 2010 Flagstaff is the REALLY cheap hardware on the fold-down dinette table. I considered using the "post" type support but not really sure that is the solution either.

You should check underneath and make sure none of the supports that are supposed to lock the legs in position are bent. They bend VERY easily. If these supports are not locked or are bent, the table will be very unstable.

Also, at least on mine, the plastic tips that cover the tubing on the legs could be an issue. One of those broke and came off on on mine so I had to replace the caps. I found some hard rubber end caps for under $10 at Lowe's. AMAZINGLY, these new caps which don't slide around like the plastic ones made a really big difference in the stability of the table! Not sure I can completely explain that but it did seem to make a difference.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #6

I found the problem today on the walkthru. It was a broken weld on one of the hinges. They are replacing the whole stand. An easy fix, but kind of sad that the dealer tech couldnt figure it out. Took me about 3 minutes to see it. I also found a broken door slide (which is being replaced), and they forgot to put on the electric tongue jack that was part of the deal. Overall an OK experience, but the tech that showed me the camper did not seem to interested in helping me out. He was more interested in getting me done and out. My salesman has been very helpful though.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #7

also watch these plastic tips for indentation in your floor covering. The beau floor is very soft and will get damaged by these caps which stands in a angle when they are in contact with the floor. My new trailer already had indentations from these caps when we bought it. I was able to repair the damage with a heat gun and now I use the table on a carpet to prevent the damages but this carpet dont make the table very stable but I have no choice.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #8

I am glad that it worked out. It is a shame...I think dealer's overschedule these techs for customers PDI...especially on weekends. My guy was nice but was rushed as well, when I did my walk through last fall. Never showed me how to access the hot water buypass to dewinterize. It looks like I will get to it by removing a shelf in the cabinet that opens to the front door. Did they show you how to access the hot water bypass?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #9

Yes. The water pump is in the cabinet to the left just as you walk in the main door. There is a vertical wood panel in front of it with a base block held down by 2 screws. Remove the screws, remove the wood panel, and you have access to the pump to winterize and the bypass valves for h2o tank are right there as well.

As for overscheduling, I completely agree. My unit was outside next to the building, rather than inside as it was supposed to be. Luckily it wasnt raining. He said they were doing 10 deliveries that day. They would not de-winterize and run water. They just said that they already tested it and guaranteed no leaks. Also had no way to check out the roof. Somewhat disappointing in that respect. When I go back to check out the fixes I will take my own ladder.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #10

Our tech was very good at Schaeffer RV in Hamburg, Pa. Unit was inside, plugged in and everything was turned on (TV, stereo, lights, some water in tank, fridge etc.) He had his tools with him and as we pointed out minor things, he fixed them on the spot. Not our first TT but a few things were different. He even readjusted the equalizer on the Tow vehicle and made sure all was level when hooked up. Of course, while we were on our way home my wife and I were going over a few things that he said and we realized that we should have taken notes because we both apparently suffer from CRS!!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote