Old 04-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #1

Upper fridge vent

My 2012 Crusader has the fridge on a slide out. After removing the upper vent cover on the outside, I was surprised to find a thin board covering about 80% of the opening. It is attached to the inside of the vent space. Obviously a factory job. Is the purpose to direct the fan's effect thru the upper heat sink plates? the rest of the louvered removable panel is not functional except for the top slot.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #2

I have a 2014 Flagstaff and it is the same way. I would say it's for the fan's air flow over the upper heat sink plates. That's where the fan thermostat is mounded at also.

Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 Weight Distribution w/ 4-Point Sway Control
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #3

the installation instructions do call for that "baffle". It directs air flow across the heat fins.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
Owner/Operator

I too was also just in that area (the upper Fridge Vent).

I got back home from a short trip to Yuma, AZ, and when I turned the fridge off to unload the food I heard the fan that is mounted on the rear of the fridge. Now I have a serious hearing loss, but it was even loud to me.

After sliding the fridge out, and removing the baffle, I found the single 12VDC fan that is used for ventilation and controlled by the thermostat attached to the upper fins. I researched the Part Number and found that it was rated at 42db sound level and pushed 60cfm of air.

It is a standard size (92mm), so I ordered two 92mm computer fans that were rated at 1/4 the noise level and delivered 30cfm each. Mounting the two fans also spreads the airflow over the entire width of the fins instead of one side as the OEM fan does.

I removed the bracket to which the OEM fan was mounted, and removed the OEM fan. The bracket is already configured for two fans, so my only modification was to enlarge the fan mounting holes so that I could mount the new fans with rubber grommets to further reduce the sound/vibration.

Now even my wife (who has good hearing) cannot hear the fans when they are operating.

A great project to complete while waiting for the next trip (CA Rally in Petaluma, CA)

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #5

thanks for advice. I have added fans to RV fridges before with good results. What is the brand of fans you installed?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwing1 View Post
thanks for advice. I have added fans to RV fridges before with good results. What is the brand of fans you installed?
I used two of the CoolMaster Fans, P/N R4-S9S-19AK-GP.

Enlarged the mounting holes and used some Wire Feed Through grommets I had on hand to isolate what little vibration there was.

RodeoGeorge

All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, vent