Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
DS ADV Rider

URGENT - Plumbing broke - stuck in Nasnville

Ned some quick help, please. Arrived in Nashville at 11:30pm Christmas Eve on way to AZ. Hooked up water and flooded trailer. Up till 3am cleaning the mess.

My dealer - Outdoor Travel, Hamiliton, ON - had removed the kitchen faucet to repair countertop but couldn't fix it so we got the trailer back last week as we had to leave and a Tucson dealer will finish the work.

Took a look today and find the cold water fitting at the faucet is broken, probably overtightened as there are plier teeth marks on the plastic. It looks like PEX plumbing but posts in the other forums suggest "Home Depot type fittings" don't quite fit. Looks like the fittings need a special crimp tool.

I'll have to try and find an On-site repair service as we have to move on, but will have problems due to Holidays.

If I have to buy a fitting and tools and do it myself, what are the specs/brands etc to get.

Any help appreciated as we need to get moving again asap.
Thanks

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	22525  
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
DS ADV Rider

I just got lucky - found on on-site service guy who will come to my site tomorrow morning and has the gear to fix my plumbing so we may be on the road again by noon

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #3

Glad you found someone to fix your problem, Merry Christmas.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #4

For future reference, the next time you are in Home Depot, Lowe's, etc., take a look at the "Shark Bite" fittings. They work with PEX, just slip over the tubing, and seal. No tools or clamps are needed. They can be removed with a simple crescent shaped tool that they sell separately. There are a number of different adapters for pipe thread fittings, reducers, valves, etc., so you can mate up to existing fittings.

There may be other brands that work the same.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
Ned some quick help, please. Arrived in Nashville at 11:30pm Christmas Eve on way to AZ. Hooked up water and flooded trailer. Up till 3am cleaning the mess.

My dealer - Outdoor Travel, Hamiliton, ON - had removed the kitchen faucet to repair countertop but couldn't fix it so we got the trailer back last week as we had to leave and a Tucson dealer will finish the work.

Took a look today and find the cold water fitting at the faucet is broken, probably overtightened as there are plier teeth marks on the plastic. It looks like PEX plumbing but posts in the other forums suggest "Home Depot type fittings" don't quite fit. Looks like the fittings need a special crimp tool.

I'll have to try and find an On-site repair service as we have to move on, but will have problems due to Holidays.

If I have to buy a fitting and tools and do it myself, what are the specs/brands etc to get.

Any help appreciated as we need to get moving again asap.
Thanks

Bob
Bob,

That tubing may in fact be nylon reinforced hose which is also rated to 200 psi. FR used it for convenience at the water heater pumps etc. Its even easier to get screw clamps for it like radiator clamps and plastic fittings fit inside of it for temp repairs. I would have crimped that hose and continued on your way. Have a good trip down, stay out of the snow storms in that area!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #6

Sorry about your water leak at such an inconvenient time and this is completely off the original topic, but where are you staying in Nashville. We are heading that direction in late January and need to overnight in that area.

Hope you are able to get on the road tomorrow. Merry Christmas.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I just got lucky - found on on-site service guy who will come to my site tomorrow morning and has the gear to fix my plumbing so we may be on the road again by noon
Glad to hear that you've been able to find a service man. I've had my camper in Outdoor Travel before, so I'm not surprised with the quality of their work!

Happy camping...

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieadie View Post
... but where are you staying in Nashville. We are heading that direction in late January and need to overnight in that area. ....
We always stay at Two Rivers Campround, next to Camping World and just a few minutes from Opryland Hotel.

Re: Outdoor Travel: I've always used Can-Am in London (due to Andy Thompson's vast expertise in setting up rigs), but he couldn't find a trailer that met our "must have" list, and I ended up getting the Lacrosse at my local dealer, Outdoor Travel. Great price and generous trade-in but the Service Dept has done as lousy job on the several Warranty visits I've made since buying in August. Hopefully I'll get the outstanding items done by PT's Tucson dealer. Dave, which dealer do you now use?

Bob
Specialized FSR XC Comp
Old 12-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Re: Outdoor Travel: I've always used Can-Am in London (due to Andy Thompson's vast expertise in setting up rigs), but he couldn't find a trailer that met our "must have" list, and I ended up getting the Lacrosse at my local dealer, Outdoor Travel. Great price and generous trade-in but the Service Dept has done as lousy job on the several Warranty visits I've made since buying in August. Hopefully I'll get the outstanding items done by PT's Tucson dealer. Dave, which dealer do you now use?

Bob
Luckily, I've been able to fix any of the repairs needed myself, but then again, I'd sooner do that then the BS involved getting things fixed at a dealer even if the camper's under warranty. I'm talking about the waiting on figuring out the problem, getting approval and getting parts. All the while, the camper's not available for camping. As a bonus, I think they charge a shop rate higher than the local Lexus dealer!

Hopefully any of your problems are small ones.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
We always stay at Two Rivers Campround, next to Camping World and just a few minutes from Opryland Hotel.

Bob
The only dealer I am aware of in Tucson is Lazydays. If that's who you are going to use you will be in good hands. They have a HUGE service dept. and a fantastic reputation.

We'll be there from the 29th thru the 1st (staying at their attached RV resort). Maybe we'll see you there.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #11

I was out that way on Sunday evening at the Grand Old Opry for the Rockettes Show. Who did you find to do the work? I live about 20 miles from the area. Glad you found someone during the holidays.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
DS ADV Rider

UPDATE: Road Ready Repair were recommended by the Two Rivers Campground staff and I spoke to Neil on Christmas day. He said he could be there the following morning and I was his second customer. It only took a few minutes to replace the broken fitting (special crimp tool required) and we were on our way by noon.

We checked the weather (using Wunderground Weather road trip planner) and it was really bad on our prepared route (Memphis, Dallas, San Antonia) so we diverted to Birmingham, Baton Rouge, San Antonia and had clear roads and 1 to 3C temps with no problems at all. Made it to Meridian KOA and we'll be heading to Baton Rouge soon. It's 33F right now but by noon it's supposed to be 45F so we'll head out then.

It sure was nice to have use of the toilet and shower again

Thanks for all the comments and support.

Bob & Sandy
Specialized FSR XC Comp
Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #13

Safe Journey!

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote