Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #1

Vent Opening above Kitchen? Is there 12 Volts?

Ok so on my 2013 Crusader 295RST Touring Edition there is a vent with no fan above the Kitchen?

Does anyone know if there is a 12 Volt line up where the vent is installed? I bought a Maxxair Multispeed vent with remote as we can not reach that opening to let air in so that is why I bought the vent fan.

I am just concerned if I take the old one out that there is no 12V power and Ground wire where the current vent is without a fan so I assume there is no power and ground.

I have not called Primetime yet so just wondering.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #2

I have a 2015 290. It did have 12V poser sitting there beside the vent. I installed the maxair pretty easily. It was terminated and ready to go.

You can poke around up there I believe without committing to remove the old vent if I remember correctly. The unit that came with the trailer has a shroud you can remove. Of course yo need a ladder to get up there.

Robert
rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscconrad View Post
I have a 2015 290. It did have 12V poser sitting there beside the vent. I installed the maxair pretty easily. It was terminated and ready to go.

You can poke around up there I believe without committing to remove the old vent if I remember correctly. The unit that came with the trailer has a shroud you can remove. Of course yo need a ladder to get up there.

Robert

Ah Good idea I will try that, but you had a 2015 290 I called PT they have no clue but service guys said if it is not there most likely have to tap into light fixture right next to it.

Can you see the wires from removing the interior fixture? Pretty tightly seated as I have installed fans before, hard to tell without removing it
Old 03-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #4

I removed the whole vent, knowing as you said if I could not find power I would steal from the light up there. The only problem with that it the light is switched.

You will have to see if just removing the shroud you can find the wires.
rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscconrad View Post
I removed the whole vent, knowing as you said if I could not find power I would steal from the light up there. The only problem with that it the light is switched.

You will have to see if just removing the shroud you can find the wires.

Will check after work, if not may just have CW do it when they install my second AC in the bedroom, just not to have to fuss with all that.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #6

Please let me know how you made out, I have a 2013 295rst, always found it stupid to have a vent up there that I can't reach (I'm 6'2") would like to put a power open with a fan up there. I too am assuming no wires exist, as crappy as they throw these together I doubt I would be able to chase the light cable back to the switch, to run a switch. Do they make a wireless powered vent? Then I just need power.

2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2013 PT Crusader 295RST TE
GeoArm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoArm View Post
Please let me know how you made out, I have a 2013 295rst, always found it stupid to have a vent up there that I can't reach (I'm 6'2") would like to put a power open with a fan up there. I too am assuming no wires exist, as crappy as they throw these together I doubt I would be able to chase the light cable back to the switch, to run a switch. Do they make a wireless powered vent? Then I just need power.

Yes I have a new Maxxair 4500 with Smoke lid that has a rain sensor (don't need bc so have a roof vent cover) wireless remote, auto open and auto close with remote and multiple settings and can be used to bring air in or exhaust air out on Amazon for $188.

It was far cheaper then the Fan-Tastic brands with a 2 year warranty. I am 5'10" so can't reach silly vent above Kitchen and I will get this in, but have to see where I can pull power from if there isn't 12v power up there already. Will look after work and post back here.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

If the vent is like any other ceiling in a RV then you just need to remove the flange from the inside. You do not need to remove the part on the roof until your ready to install the MaxxAir vent. There should be some screws you can remove and the flange will slide out. Depending on the thickness of the ceiling you should be able to look inside and find the 12 volt leads.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:33 PM   #9

Quote:

Pulled the moulding down from inside and looked all over for some wires, but there is no wires at all, now have to run some wires to install this Vent Fan. Such an idiotic move on PT behalf, why install a vent and not put wiring up there to boot you can't reach the vent anyway as it is 12 feet high.

Oh well when they do the AC in my bedroom which I confirmed is pre-wired by PT, I will pay to have wires run for the new vent fan.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #10

Has anyone ever run wires in the ceiling or taken power from a light switch to install a vent fan before on a Crusader
Old 04-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #11

I know what you mean I'm 6'6" and can't reach the vent over the kitchen in my 325RES. I installed a remote controlled, reversible Fantastic Fan in place of the vent. An un-switched 12 volt wire pair was located just in front of the opening in the ceiling and I tapped into it. I would remove the interior vent moulding and try fishing for a wire pair in front of the vent opening. Good Luck.

2008 F 250 6.4 PSD 4x4 Pullrite 15K
2013 Crusader 325RES
cascade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
I know what you mean I'm 6'6" and can't reach the vent over the kitchen in my 325RES. I installed a remote controlled, reversible Fantastic Fan in place of the vent. An un-switched 12 volt wire pair was located just in front of the opening in the ceiling and I tapped into it. I would remove the interior vent moulding and try fishing for a wire pair in front of the vent opening. Good Luck.

I was thinking of tapping into the wire for the ceiling light just in front of it which is controlled by a switch and turn off the light fixture.

I can not believe PT made a unit like this bc CW wanted to charge me 4 hours of labor to fish a new wire, not worth it as I bought a wireless remote controlled Maxxair vent so just need to move the wire from the light to the fan, easiest move for me or split the wire for Fan and light and just don't use them at the same time this way they don't pop a fuse.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #13
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Till you get around to doing the fan install, take a dowel and cut a notch into the end and use it to open vent......
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Till you get around to doing the fan install, take a dowel and cut a notch into the end and use it to open vent......
Or a pc of 3/4" pvc pipe with a slot in the end that fits over the handle at the center where it attaches to the vent center.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #15

One question I have that I don't know the answer to is? Are these 12 volt lights daisy chained to each other? When I hit one switch it turns on 4 lights? If I were to split the fan wires for the fan that would continue to pop a fuse or cause further issues? Need to know from anyone who knows the 12 volt wiring in these 5th wheels?

We can not live without the new fan there is no way to circulate the air in the rear living space without a fan, so stupid that PT just put a vent up there with no fan, I mean such a ridiculous move if you ask me.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 PM   #16

See this thread

A couple of us did this install and took photos and posted them on this thread and discuss which wire to tap into.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohai View Post
See this thread

A couple of us did this install and took photos and posted them on this thread and discuss which wire to tap into.

I think you posted the wrong thread, don't see anything in the link you privided
Old 04-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #18

Quote:

Ok there is a Purple/White and White wire in the ceiling, I spiced the Fan into that and used wire nuts and electric tape. Switch on wall works with both ceiling lights (now converted to LED) and the fan is all connected up and wired in with no issues. Pull your inside shroud down after removing 4 screws and you should have the same wires to work with. I was very careful and made sure everything was connected well and taped up so nothing becomes loose. Lights and fan work well, so good luck if you decide to tackle this project.

Tags
12 volt, vent