Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #21
Commercial Member

Oak - thanks for the nice comment. This thread actually did change (and improve)our installation procedure so that we do use a small self tapper in addition to the aluminum foil tape to hold the flex duct to the plenum. The change happened the following production day after this thread started last fall.

PTM

Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #22

Wheel Hubs

I too an impressed at being able to talk with an individual who knows what I am talking about. Most of the folks in the office, not offense, but none have ever really put their hands on the coachs during manufacturing. Having been employed by Grumman Aircraft at one time in my life and Lockheed Aircraft on another, it is very difficult to hide anything from the quality control inspectors...I would love to work for Forest River in Quality Control...Thanks for checking into the lug nut wheel problem...so far the judgement passed around here is, we have the wrong hubs on this coach!!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #23

Got anothe good for you...our unit has the Read Entertainment Center with the Large Flat Screen TV...Every morning at 7:00 Am with AV power plugged in, the RCA Stereo comes on all by its self. I have read everything in both manuals to no avail..I can put the unit source on AUX, it still comes on, but of course with no noise...
Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #24
Commercial Member

I'll check into the stereo situation. Sounds like you have an alarm turned on, but I don't know for sure. Our vendor is preparing a written response to the hub issue. Back to you today hopefully.

PTM
Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
OK, Iím impressed. A manufacturer rep that admits to a problem and works to resolve the issue instead of posting a bunch of BS and excuses as to how this couldnít have happened during the build of the trailer.

We're in the market for a new trailer and I wish I could say that I would be considering the purchase of a Prime Time fifth wheel but the nearest dealer is over 250 miles away.
It would be worth the trip...IMO
Old 02-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #26

Replys

Spoke with my dealer today on the hub issue, he too was waiting on some kind of reply concerning the safety issue. Checked with law enforcement, if this had been discovered in a safety check out on the highway, I would received a fine..hopefully that along with the knowledge that one lug bolt has broken already will be enough to get PrimeTime to install either new Hubs are longer lug bolts on our Crusader 270 RET..
Thanks for the update, we are getting excited to finally get back camping again..
The Kicklighters
Dallas, GA
Old 02-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #27
Commercial Member

After reviewing your photo and our wheel installation with BOTH the axle supplier and the wheel supplier, the installation is correct. Let me explain:

1. In the trailer industry, the same hubs (and therefore the same lugs) are used for both Steel Wheels and Aluminum Wheels. So there's no chance these were "mixed up".

2. A minimum requirement before achieving proper torque is 10 revolutions of the nut. We exceed that requirement.

3. The standard lug nuts that come with the axle are quite a bit shorter in height than the lug nuts we use on Crusader. You can see the height difference in the picture below.

4. The wheel supplier feels that the long nuts we use are superior to the standard axle nuts because they provide maximum thread engagement by utilizing the entire stud.

5. Furthermore, they believe the longer nuts "seat" better on the Aluminum Wheel that they sell us which allows for proper torque to be maintained.

If you would like for us to send you some of the shorter axle nuts that come with the axles, we'd be happy to. I think we just throw them away.

Regarding the lost lug - that could be caused by a variety of things and definitely must be replaced ASAP at your dealer. We do not believe that the lug nut style was the cause, though.

Sorry for your inconvenience and the guys at the office have the same information.

PTM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lug Nuts.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	10421  
Old 02-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #28

Lugs Bolts

Appreciate your investagation of this particular problem but I believe you must have mis-understood me about the lug nut problem. One of the short Wheel Hug Lug has already broken off during out first trip out of town on January 2nd, 2012. Its not the Lug Nuts is the Wheel Hub Lugs themselves.
I am having a Georgia State Patrol Office come out tomorrow who inspects tractor trailer rigs on the interstate, his findings will determine if this condition in the photograph that I have already posted is in fact safe for highway use. I have been informed that this condition on a large rig would be grounds for a citation.
The photo I am sending is a photograph of the new Wheel Lug Bolt installed by Three Way Camper last month..as you can see, it is the proper length as compared to the ones next to it...
I would like to have the short wheel hub lugs replaced with the longer ones again as in the photo:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	correct lug.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	10422  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #29

To be perfectly honest kl, PTM's response makes perfect sense to me. If the only thing your worried about is a few threads sticking through an obviously longer lug nut take Jeff up on the offer and have him send you the shorter ones. I have aluminum wheels on my Crusader and don't have threads sticking through....but I have closed ended chrome acorn nuts. Really what's the difference? I'd bet the farm your lug nut broke from being over torqued. Your lug snapped off, if it had pulled the threads out of the nut then I would blame short studding.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #30

Lugs

If I had not had the broken lug bolt already I would not be that concerned..The ET Lug Nuts you speak of are available for 24 bucks, I have a set of those ordered on my own...Still believe having the longer lugs would solve the problem and would make me happy..Evidently when the lug broke off earlier, the dealer so fit to install a longer one for some good reason I suppose??? That is something he decided on his own..think it was the right thing to do...looks a lot better don't you think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	correct lug.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	10423