Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #41

Lugs and Nuts

This was an effort by me on a local level to maybe simlify the condition as it no exist. The local tire and wheel shop that I spoke with suggested this as a temp. fix for the problem...the issue the lug bolts being to short is still there...just testing the waters to see if they were just trying to sell me a set ET Lug Nuts to fix the problem...No, the lug bolts are still to short and the lug nuts may be correct, but not for those lug bolts, they still need to be changed..I am on the way to 3 Way Campers right now with nuts in hand>>>>:>)
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #42

Hard to tell in the picture but it looks like the wheel stud is about the same length as all the others. Just a lug nut that is shorter. I will say this, if you were driving a 18 wheeler in Texas those studs were not coming all the way thru the lug nut will get you shut down on the spot by DOT. You could tell them about the number of threads in contact all you want. But you won't move another inch untill someone puts longer studs od shorter nuts on there. Pretty sure that would be the case in any state. Might be differnt on campers but that is a fact on a big truck.
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #43

Illegal

This is what I've been told here in Georgia..My son is a State of Georgia GBI Officer and he lives and breaths the law..he has made the same statement..thanks for your imput..maybe time to call in the troops..for help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtad View Post
Hard to tell in the picture but it looks like the wheel stud is about the same length as all the others. Just a lug nut that is shorter. I will say this, if you were driving a 18 wheeler in Texas those studs were not coming all the way thru the lug nut will get you shut down on the spot by DOT. You could tell them about the number of threads in contact all you want. But you won't move another inch untill someone puts longer studs od shorter nuts on there. Pretty sure that would be the case in any state. Might be differnt on campers but that is a fact on a big truck.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #44

The stud with the short wheel nut would pass.The long wheel nut actually has 1 more thread of engagement than the short nut. Pay the price of the wheel nuts that you want,submit the bill,get out in your trailer and enjoy camping.As I see it,the factory would only be responsible to supplying you with the shorter standard wheel nuts,not the acorn nuts.Good corporate citizen says that it may be better for FR to supply you with the acorn nuts that you want,as a good jester to help appease you with the problems you are having with your trailer.

09grizzly1
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
.....3. The standard lug nuts that come with the axle are quite a bit shorter in height than the lug nuts we use on Crusader. You can see the height difference in the picture below.

4. The wheel supplier feels that the long nuts we use are superior to the standard axle nuts because they provide maximum thread engagement by utilizing the entire stud.

5. Furthermore, they believe the longer nuts "seat" better on the Aluminum Wheel that they sell us which allows for proper torque to be maintained......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtad View Post
....... I will say this, if you were driving a 18 wheeler in Texas those studs were not coming all the way thru the lug nut will get you shut down on the spot by DOT.......

So if PT hadn't upgraded the lug nuts with longer ones, all would be OK since the originals were shorter and would allow the lug bolt to go through the lug nut with a few threads showing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
.......Let me give more detail then:

1) According to your dealer in a conversation 5 minutes ago, your brakes were being inspected at the dealership and THEY snapped off your lug when the nut seized on the stud during removal. As a matter of fact, they have the broken lug and seized nut in hand if you want to get it from them during your visit today.......

So the lug bolts are not too short or defective and there is no safety issue with the lug bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09grizzly1 View Post
The stud with the short wheel nut would pass.The long wheel nut actually has 1 more thread of engagement than the short nut. Pay the price of the wheel nuts that you want,submit the bill,get out in your trailer and enjoy camping.As I see it,the factory would only be responsible to supplying you with the shorter standard wheel nuts,not the acorn nuts.Good corporate citizen says that it may be better for FR to supply you with the acorn nuts that you want,as a good jester to help appease you with the problems you are having with your trailer.

09grizzly1
Sounds like a good idea to me.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #46
Commercial Member

Here is a link to the only thing from DOT that I can find on this issue:

Wheels. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

I don't see where we are violating FMCSA/DOT requirements but ultimately we are 100% bound by the installation recommendations of our wheel supplier and they are 100% behind us on this installation.

What I do know is this: We've delivered almost 2000 Crusaders to dealers at an average of nearly 1000 miles from the factory. Over 1/2 of these Crusaders are now being enjoyed on the road. So, I'm guessing there is well over 2.5 million miles on Crusaders over the road and Prime Time, Lippert, or Tredit have never been questioned on this issue to my knowledge.

I sorta give at this point. If you want shorter lug nuts that will allow the lugs to protrude thru the nut, we will gladly send them to you at no charge. Just contact our Customer Service group and they will be sent out.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #47

Wheel Lug Nuts and Bolts

Please speak with Three Way Camper on Monday, I met with PH this morning and he can tell you what we have put together and what the problem maybe...
Until you speak with them and get their information from our mentioned converstion, anything I say or do here would be non-productive at this point....PH can explain it better than I from a Dealership Standpoint...
Thanks.....the shorter lug nut does not solve the problem..please talk with PH on Monday....I do not want to air laundry here of a private conversation had with Three Way....appreciate you doing that for me...sure it will clear all this up after that..
Randy