Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #1

Very Little Heat

Been doing some cold weather camping and noticed a significant difference in the amount of heat getting to the bedroom. Just pulled on another cover until I was finished camping for the season. Winterized this past week and pulled of the cover behind the docking station and also the bulkhead cover. Check out what I found:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0823 - Copy.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	9496  
KAB449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #2

There goes your heat. Not even duct tape used? Amazing!
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #3

There was about a six inch pieces of tape but it was placed on the flex duct with a small corner on the solid duct. It was enough to hold it until the heat softened the adhesive and the weight of the flexduct pulled it away. Plant inspection process needs tweaking.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Site Team

that's the kind of pic you need to send to the PT rep that posts here.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Commercial Member

This picture has already been printed and sent to our QC people - thanks for posting and sorry about missing that.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
This picture has already been printed and sent to our QC people - thanks for posting and sorry about missing that.

PTM

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy

PTM
That is why I posted it so I can be of some help to Prime Time to improve the quality of their product, not to start another complaint thread. I will repair it and check all the ducts and fittings behind the bulkhead.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Didn't feel you were trying to start a complaint thread - glad to have the feedback so we can get better.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Didn't feel you were trying to start a complaint thread - glad to have the feedback so we can get better.
Just a simple question. Is it common practice to only tape the flex duct connections? or did someone not bring the battery drill and 1/4" self-tapping screws in this coach?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Great question - this has been the source of alot of discussion at all of our plants the last 24 hours as we've found a couple of different ways that it's being done including running a self-tapper in some situations. We are reviewing all of our installations for a best practice that we can use across the board.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Great question - this has been the source of alot of discussion at all of our plants the last 24 hours as we've found a couple of different ways that it's being done including running a self-tapper in some situations. We are reviewing all of our installations for a best practice that we can use across the board.

An FYI: The ducts that I have accessed on my 2011 Flagstaff Fifth Wheel are secured with tape and one tapping screw.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
I've been doing residential HVAC for over 35 years and common practice is tape & at least 2 screws. One county in our area requires 3 screws. In some cases a panduit strap (zip-tie) is used as well. In most cases duct-tape has been replaced with aluminum tape. Glad to hear it's being looked into for a common solution. When standards are established the grey areas disappear.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 12-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
Commercial Member

I recognize the word duct tape was used by a poster but we use aluminum tape on all of these applications.

A zip tie seems too easy. Does this hold up long term with the heat?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
I recognize the word duct tape was used by a poster but we use aluminum tape on all of these applications.

A zip tie seems too easy. Does this hold up long term with the heat?
The type of zip-tie I'm talking about is about 3/8" wide [other use is riot control handcuffs], not the type used for electrical work. The screws and tape are the most commonly used and the reliability is the best.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 12-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Got it - I could probably use the zip ties for the riot control but maybe not a good idea for the heat duct .

Thanks for your input
Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #16

i own a HVAC company and this is the first thing I looked at after getting new RV home. I put a panduit strap on each duct run.
Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #17

Wheel Lugs

Have your people checked into the wheel hub/lug nut problem that I am having on my 270 Crusader? Sent photographs in to RS at corporate and Three Way Camper here in Marietta. GA. Would like an answer from someone soon...cannot take it out like it is..thanks RV Guy

Quote:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Yes, there are several people on this. I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I'm getting confirmation from our vendor first before posting an answer. Needless to say, there are alot of folks here (and a couple of self-professed experts) waiting for an answer and we understand the anxiety involved with the appearance of the situation.

PTM
Old 02-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #19

I have done HVAC for 20 years, If you are using flex pipe, Take a plastic tie rap around and pull it tight unless you have the tool to do it automatically (makes it a lot tighter). Then put a 1/4" self tapping drive screw though the tie and into the metal duct then a good grade of duct tape around the connection. Either household or RV HVAC, it's all the same recommend procedure. Hope this helps, safe and warm wishes.
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #20

Quote:

OK, I’m impressed. A manufacturer rep that admits to a problem and works to resolve the issue instead of posting a bunch of BS and excuses as to how this couldn’t have happened during the build of the trailer.

We're in the market for a new trailer and I wish I could say that I would be considering the purchase of a Prime Time fifth wheel but the nearest dealer is over 250 miles away.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote