Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #11

I will check the 2 amp fuse. The circuit board is on the outside of the unit.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
Site Team

Can you please explain in more detail, the steps you are taking to turn your water heater on? (Ex: Open propane gas valves, Turn inside rocker switch on, etc) Thanks

If you read the link that KyDan posted, there is a possibility that your propane side has locked itself out after so many failed attempts for the DSI to light the gas. That's why we need to go over the steps you're taking to get it started.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #13

Gas valve is open. Stove, furnace work. Water heater is filled with water. Valves behind water heater are in the correct position. Turn the rocker switch on for electric and I have nothing. Turn the gas rocker switch on and still have nothing. No clicking sound from the igniter.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #14

check the venturi for spider webs. if it is completely blocked propane will not get through enough to light the burner.

(this is from a discussion on water heater problems)
(If the main burner adjustment is off, the burner is dirty (even by a spider web), or the pilot air inlet is dirty, the result will be incomplete combustion- a yellow flame and soot buildup.

To clean and adjust the main burner, a burner tube cleaning brush can be used- slide the “air shutter” open, run the brush through, and readjust the shutter. To adjust the shutter (air mixture), I like to slide the shutter closed until the flame is yellow and “lazy”, the slide it open just until the flame starts to roar. On Suburban models, the flame is supposed to roar (but is non-adjustable), on Atwood models, it isn’t.)
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomas View Post
Gas valve is open. Stove, furnace work. Water heater is filled with water. Valves behind water heater are in the correct position. Turn the rocker switch on for electric and I have nothing. Turn the gas rocker switch on and still have nothing. No clicking sound from the igniter.
Thanks, that helps.

Just to make absolutely sure that the tank has no hot water in it, and the thermostats aren't allowing either the electric or propane sides to start, can you check it for hot water?

Outside, you should have a pressure relief valve, on the front of the water heater. Can you lift the handle on it a sec and make sure the water that comes out is cold and not hot. Don't stand in front of it, in case it is hot....but just feel the water after it releases to see.

Here is a pic that shows what this valve should look like. Were you able to look at the tag and tell what brand/model water heater you have?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0007644_suburban_water_heater_direct_spark_ignition_gas_only_size_6_gallon_suburban_water_heater.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	27409  

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
PT Crew Member #64

if you are still having no luck the electrical switch does it have a light on? check the GFI in the bathroom. I had that issue on my crusader, just a tought
Old 05-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #17

Damaged water heater?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and not sure how to go about starting a topic so I'll add on to this one:

Took the trailer out for the first time this year. During my de-winterizing process I neglected to open the valve to fill the hot water tank(gas heater) before turning on the water heater. When I figured that out I opened the valve and the tank filled out, but the TPR valve opened, draining all the water and apparently put out the water heater. The heater wouldn't turn on and the TPR valve kept leaking. Am I toast on this or what? I'd appreciate suggestions. Thanks.