Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #1

Water heater

Just set our unit up for the summer, and after doing the deck and doing the set up I went n to turn on the water heater. Nothing!! Does not work on elec or gas. Any suggestions. All valves are correct. Have had 3 other experienced campers look at it with no luck. We just picked the unit up 2 days ago. Any suggestions are welcome. Also the unit is set up on our site till 11-1-13, so the dealer is coming to me on this one, if it takes that.
cthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #2

Check the 2 amp fuse on the board. 9 out of 10 times this is the problem. Also check the breaker . Good luck.
Drmstx62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Make sure you have a good 12 volt battery. It needs the 12 volt to run the circuit board.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Site Team

You give us precious little to go on!
What is your RV brand make and model?
Or
what is your Water Heater brand and model number??

IF you just picked up the unit I'm guessing you didn't get a thorough
walk thru at the dealer??
There is a hidden electric switch that must be turned ON to get
the electric side to work.
Check out the photo here--
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

That little rocker switch hides behind the burner tube.
It might have a safety wire or clip that must be removed to rock it ON.
This is accessed from the outside of your unit.

Look for that switch and let us know what you found.

As far as no LP heat, let's try to get the electric side working first.

NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE WATER IN THE WATER HEATER TANK or you
WILL damage the heater when you turn it on.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #5

2013 Crusader 360. Water is in the tank and has been purged. I will look for the hidden switch.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #6

No hidden switch. It is as though it has no power to the heater at all, or that it is locked out.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #7

Circuit Breaker??
uncle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #8

Does your hot water tank have a circuit board on the outside of your tank? Did you check the fuse, because this controls both electric and gas function.
Drmstx62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hidden switch.
Lower left hand corner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130408_090101.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	27403
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomas View Post
All valves are correct. .
You would be surprised how many times that this is not the case, and the valves are thought to be correct, when if fact they are not.

If you have a three valve system, then the cold water inlet valve at the bottom needs to be open, the hot water outlet valve at the top needs to be open, and the bypass valve connecting the cold water line to the hot water line needs to be closed. If this bypass valve is incorrectly left open, it allows the cold water into the hot water line and you won't have hot water.

The valves are normally open when the valve handle ends are running the same way as the pipe.....and closed when the valve handle ends are crossing the pipe. It's real easy to mistakingly think the bypass is closed when it reality it is open, since the bypass line runs a different way than the water lines do.

We just talked about this yesterday in another forum. There are several pics and diagrams to show the proper valve turns.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post343462

Every now and again there also runs the possibility that the valve is faulty and the handle isn't showing correctly if the valve is open/closed.

When you open the outside water heater access panel, there should be a tag in there that has you water heaters brand/model #. That would help everyone tremendously in troubleshooting your problem.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #11

I will check the 2 amp fuse. The circuit board is on the outside of the unit.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
Site Team

Can you please explain in more detail, the steps you are taking to turn your water heater on? (Ex: Open propane gas valves, Turn inside rocker switch on, etc) Thanks

If you read the link that KyDan posted, there is a possibility that your propane side has locked itself out after so many failed attempts for the DSI to light the gas. That's why we need to go over the steps you're taking to get it started.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #13

Gas valve is open. Stove, furnace work. Water heater is filled with water. Valves behind water heater are in the correct position. Turn the rocker switch on for electric and I have nothing. Turn the gas rocker switch on and still have nothing. No clicking sound from the igniter.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #14

check the venturi for spider webs. if it is completely blocked propane will not get through enough to light the burner.

(this is from a discussion on water heater problems)
(If the main burner adjustment is off, the burner is dirty (even by a spider web), or the pilot air inlet is dirty, the result will be incomplete combustion- a yellow flame and soot buildup.

To clean and adjust the main burner, a burner tube cleaning brush can be used- slide the “air shutter” open, run the brush through, and readjust the shutter. To adjust the shutter (air mixture), I like to slide the shutter closed until the flame is yellow and “lazy”, the slide it open just until the flame starts to roar. On Suburban models, the flame is supposed to roar (but is non-adjustable), on Atwood models, it isn’t.)
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomas View Post
Gas valve is open. Stove, furnace work. Water heater is filled with water. Valves behind water heater are in the correct position. Turn the rocker switch on for electric and I have nothing. Turn the gas rocker switch on and still have nothing. No clicking sound from the igniter.
Thanks, that helps.

Just to make absolutely sure that the tank has no hot water in it, and the thermostats aren't allowing either the electric or propane sides to start, can you check it for hot water?

Outside, you should have a pressure relief valve, on the front of the water heater. Can you lift the handle on it a sec and make sure the water that comes out is cold and not hot. Don't stand in front of it, in case it is hot....but just feel the water after it releases to see.

Here is a pic that shows what this valve should look like. Were you able to look at the tag and tell what brand/model water heater you have?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0007644_suburban_water_heater_direct_spark_ignition_gas_only_size_6_gallon_suburban_water_heater.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	27409  

Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
PT Crew Member #64

if you are still having no luck the electrical switch does it have a light on? check the GFI in the bathroom. I had that issue on my crusader, just a tought
GarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #17

Damaged water heater?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and not sure how to go about starting a topic so I'll add on to this one:

Took the trailer out for the first time this year. During my de-winterizing process I neglected to open the valve to fill the hot water tank(gas heater) before turning on the water heater. When I figured that out I opened the valve and the tank filled out, but the TPR valve opened, draining all the water and apparently put out the water heater. The heater wouldn't turn on and the TPR valve kept leaking. Am I toast on this or what? I'd appreciate suggestions. Thanks.
Jefe52 is offline   Reply With Quote