Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #1

Waterproofing shower

I just recently purchased an Avenger 27RBS. The shower has no plastic/vinyl shower surround. The shower walls appear to be just wall paper. What is the proper care of this surface? The dealer wasn't any help... no suprise. Short of installing a custom surround, is there a way to seal/waterproof the walls, paint or epoxy?
Thanks in advance.
dieseldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #2

My 89 Nomad fifth wheel didn't have a surround and it was/is fine. Just wipe the walls down after every shower, which I still do with my shower with a surround to reduce the moisture.

There's a video here: https://youtu.be/Tq33447D3VA that discusses the pros and cons of surround/no surround.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #3

Josh the RV nerd is awesome he has a video about anything to do with RVs.
Gdub2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #4

I have a 26BBS, thought it was weird as well but the wallboards are water resistant and can just be wiped down when done. There should be clear caulk in all the seams though.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #5

if you are not a full timer and only using 4-8 times a year like most just wipe it down with a towel when done.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithInUpstateNY View Post
My 89 Nomad fifth wheel didn't have a surround and it was/is fine. Just wipe the walls down after every shower, which I still do with my shower with a surround to reduce the moisture.

There's a video here: https://youtu.be/Tq33447D3VA that discusses the pros and cons of surround/no surround.
Thank you. I have seen that video before. What he says makes sense.
dieseldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:42 PM   #7

We have an Avenger 27RBS also. I wasn't satisfied with the caulking in the shower area, so I re-caulked every corner and crevice in the shower area from ceiling to floor. So far, no issues, although we haven't had the camper a year yet.

I found a scrap of the wallboard material in the outdoor kitchen, which allowed me to see what kind of material it is. I don't believe that not having an enclosure is going to be an issue.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, show, shower, water