Old 04-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

If you're worried, cut a pc of 13/8" or /2" plywood to cover the entire bottom side to side.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:30 PM   #12

On mine I'm not worried about the bottom. The metal won't give. It's the sides. Can't quite see how they are attached. My worry is the whole metal plate may drop out.

Robert

Old 04-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #13

I don't know about the crusader but it is very similar to the Sanibel and I asked the manufacturer about putting 6 6 volt golf cart batteries up there for our solar system and they said it would hold it no problem. I am however going to get some reinforcing done underneath just to be sure
Old 04-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #14

I carry my Honda gen, a gal of gas for backup to the gen, 50 amp power cord, 2.5 gals of DEF for the truck, along with the batteries that came in it. No problem.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #15

Greetings JSolomon,

Do you have a Crusader or a Sanibel? I called Primetime this morning and talked to Roger. Informed him I had a Crusader 290RLT and was calling to ask a question about the front underneath storage compartment. He replied with "oh yes we call that the generator compartment". I told him that was an interesting response because I was calling to see if a 50 pound portable generator could be stored there while traveling. He then said he did not know if a generator could be stored there on the Crusader. The Sanibel is built to store a generator but he had to go talk to an engineer to find out about the Crusader. He is going to call me back tomorrow with an answer. Thought it was interesting that he said it was called a generator compartment but he wasn't sure if a portable generator could be stored there with the Crusader.

I also carry 2 12V batteries in that compartment so that would reduce the amount of additional carrying weight.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #16

I have the Crusader 260. Feels solid and I've had the generator in the compartment since last spring. It sits tight in place and I also have it strapped.
JSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #17
gonecampin

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
I carry 2 - 2000 Honda's , 50 lbs ea. in the front bay . as far as I know it's not genny prepped. I have a 320 RES ( 2014 )
We have a 295rst and I carry 2 eu2000 Hondas their and never a problem

Kalispell, MT
gonecampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #18

Crusader guy for sure let me know what they say. Maybe the 290 is different from the rest but I would worry about a heavy load in that bay. You must have the same doubts.

Thanks.

Robert
Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #19
Plain Old Member

Is it a plastic material on the flooring? If so replace with plywood or material of your choice. I've never been successful in finding a weight rating for any cargo bay, motorhomes or towables. Our SB has a plastic material, and loaded up it does bow a bit. I have intentions of adding a little more structure underneath and replacing at some point.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #20

It is bent sheet metal in a basket shape attached to the sides of the unit somehow. A hole is cut in the floor for the battery. If it were to be over loaded the whole piece of metal basket would fall on the pavement. Adding wood to the floor would not matter.

Tags
crusader, weight