Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #1

What Are You Towing Spartan 1032 With?

I have put a deposit on a 2015 Spartan 1032 pending how it tows behind my truck when it comes in. My question is: What are you towing your 1032 with? My truck is a GMC 2500 Denali with the Duramax/Allison. The dealer is assuring me that the 3/4 ton will tow this 5er just fine but I have been mislead before by a dealer on my last bumper pull trailer which lead to me trading a SUV in on the truck I now tow with. Has anyone out there got any real dry weights they can share with me from the scales. Primetime advertises the dry weight to be 12,633# but it is probably closer to 13,000# once the batteries & propane tanks are added. I figured that I would have anywhere from 3,000 - 3,500# of extra weight once I leave on our typical camping trip which would include the weight of passengers, ATV, fuel in truck & trailer, dogs, food, gear & other misc. items we carry. Give me some guidance on what to expect on real world weights please if you can.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #2

Here's where you are going to get varying opinions! More info. would help such as; 1) What year is your truck, 2) 2wd or 4wd, 3) What size and rating are your tires, 4)Have you modified the suspension?

So, that being said, if it's a newer truck, it will more than likely tow it at its basic weight. However, once you load it with all your gear, toys and family needs, you will be way over the rating for the truck. The extra 2 tires and beefier suspension on a 1 ton dually will add to stability while towing. "Beefing up" your suspension may help "carry" & level the load better but, that's about it. You MAY be ok depending on your experience with towing but, others here on this forum will say "absolutely NOT" while others, like me, will say "try it" on a short trip and see how it handles". But, the "weight police" will have a lot to say and that includes the DOT police in your state (or any other state) if you should get pulled over and weighed or if your involved in an accident and they weigh it as part of the investigation. Then, your insurance company could have even more to say!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Camper Less Camping

If your into following payload numbers on your truck, once that truck & camper is loaded up to head out camping, you'll be over on all your numbers.
The engine and tranny will handle the load with no issues...up to you on whether the numbers matter and how you're going to travel with that rig combo

Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

rracer5,

My truck is a 2013, 4 x 4, unmodified suspension, load range E (Goodyear Wrangler) 20" tires. I plan to add air bags before pulling away from the dealership with the trailer in tow. The dealers lot truck is a 2006 GMC 2500 HD with the D/A setup & air bags. I have requested & they have agreed to let me load the trailer with a full tank of water & put one of their large golf carts in the garage to do a test tow with their truck before sealing the deal. There is a fairly step road near the dealership in Salt Lake City that I can go up & then turn around & come back down to test the truck with. That seems like a fair way to access the towing capability of my truck which should be a little more stronger than theirs since it is newer. From the 2013 GMC trailer tow guide that I found on the internet, my trailering capacity is 14,700#. If the trailer weighs in @ 13,000# like i think it will once the dealer preps it & with +/-3,000# extra weight added, I will definitely be overweight. I have found conflicting weight information on my truck though. I am not really sure on the 14,700# capacity since I have seen other weights online indicating that it is really in the 16,000# tow weight range. I know my truck will tow it but I do not want to white knuckle it everytime we go out heavy on a boon docking trip because we are loaded down with water & gas.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

If I was you Macky, I would do it it with no worries but I don't lose sleep on the numbers game as others do (it's all relevant)...I want to be aware where I'm at with my numbers but outfitting the truck with bags, proper hitch & proper tires...camp on!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
If I was you Macky, I would do it it with no worries but I don't lose sleep on the numbers game as others do (it's all relevant)...I want to be aware where I'm at with my numbers but outfitting the truck with bags, proper hitch & proper tires...camp on!

X2
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing