Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
X2 couldn't agree more. It's good PR tho.

X3

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #22

Where can I find out more about this FR event? What manufacturers will be there, like Coachmen, or only the "original" FR brand of TTs?
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Where can I find out more about this FR event? What manufacturers will be there, like Coachmen, or only the "original" FR brand of TTs?
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...al-116205.html

http://forestriverfrog.com/Events.aspx?EventID=83

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #24
BRD

Hi, I am brand new to the site. I have a 14 Crusader 295RST. Current issues are the fake leather couches are peeling/flaking away, Ground Control 2.0 the front button hardly ever works (and its kinda important) and recurring blow out on right rear tire. I had factory tires blow (after 1 year) and we hardly camp, 3 of them have blown (2 in the dealers driveway). Replaced with Goodyear Marathons. Last trip at Thanksgiving blow out on I95 at night, of fun. Goodyear did reimburse me for the tire itself. Glad we never fixed the initial tire damage to the plastic skirt and sheet metal. (We had front cap fading which they repainted)

Went to the RV show yesterday and I really like the 319RTK, just not sure if I want to deal with the issues again. I know all brands have problems, this is our 6th Camper in 20 years.
BRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #25

If you are having a blow out on the RHS check underneath the skirt, look for a slide adjustment bolt. It sticks down right in between the 2 tires. If you tow slightly nose high it can contact the tire! A REAL bad thing. I had to remove mine and cut it down to size to avoid a potential blow out.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #26

Thanks for those links. It looks like Coachmen might be there as they were one of the companies listed.
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #27
BRD

More Blowouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRD View Post
Hi, I am brand new to the site. I have a 14 Crusader 295RST. Current issues are the fake leather couches are peeling/flaking away, Ground Control 2.0 the front button hardly ever works (and its kinda important) and recurring blow out on right rear tire. I had factory tires blow (after 1 year) and we hardly camp, 3 of them have blown (2 in the dealers driveway). Replaced with Goodyear Marathons. Last trip at Thanksgiving blow out on I95 at night, of fun. Goodyear did reimburse me for the tire itself. Glad we never fixed the initial tire damage to the plastic skirt and sheet metal. (We had front cap fading which they repainted)

Went to the RV show yesterday and I really like the 319RTK, just not sure if I want to deal with the issues again. I know all brands have problems, this is our 6th Camper in 20 years.
This weekend we had 2 more blowouts on our 295RST with Goodyear Marathon tires. So that makes 6 tires gone in just 3 years. I don't know if it is a engineering flaw with the weights on the tires or tire failure in general. We are not overloaded, we don't carry any water in the tanks and dump before each time on the road.
'06 F-20 Diesel
BRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #28

I replaced all of my tires (including spare) with GY 614s before ever going on trips and have had no problems but of course I am $1300 poorer. My theater seating started peeling on our May trip to celebrate my semi-retirement after 54 years of working. I thought I had done something to the seat by accident but now I am seeing several who are having that problem with inexpensive faux leather seating and it is not limited to RVs - it is just cheap furniture. I just missed the warranty period for getting the repainting done - they go by manf. date not purchase date so ... Oh well, it happens and I can use oxidation remover periodically for a while. this is my 3rd fiver and 5th RV - probably my last as I am 68 now and probably will not be looking to drop that kind of $$$ on something like that in the future. We really like RVing and had hoped for a better experience with this one but all in all, I suppose it is not that bad. I also purchased a new mattress online - one of the gel infused ones and we sure like it. Also added a second AC unit right before I noticed the cap fade due to cooling not being enough when at the beach or in the summer sun. After I replace the seating, I will have probably over $3k in upgrades- gee and this cost more than my first home.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #29
RetiredRVer

I'm in my third year with my Heritage Glen 282RK.....I still have the original factory tires that have never given me one bit of trouble. I do take care of the tires (inspect b-4 every trip), and keep inflation pressures correct, so I don't expect many problems. If one doesn't keep after the tires, especially correct inflation pressure, one may encounter more then average problems.
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #30

I have never had a problem with RV tires and never given it a second thought until this current RV. Always kept them inflated to the stated max and never an issue. However, after reading about all the issues on this forum with tires and then calling my dealer and asking about it - he would not commit an answer, I thought it wiser to upgrade rather than impact a trip. I have also spoken with others at rallys who have had issues and had their trips ruined by exploding tires so glad I did what I did and happy for anyone who is doing okay on the ST tires that came with their RV. I do know there is quite a difference in what I have and the factory tires - just pick one of each up and you will immediately realize it.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
I'm in my third year with my Heritage Glen 282RK.....I still have the original factory tires that have never given me one bit of trouble. I do take care of the tires (inspect b-4 every trip), and keep inflation pressures correct, so I don't expect many problems. If one doesn't keep after the tires, especially correct inflation pressure, one may encounter more then average problems.
You sound as though you are assuming everybody's problems with tires are due to owner negligence. Wrong!

Sounds like you got lucky with original tires, but you don't say what they are or how much you use them.

Read up on the problems with ST tires made in China and it will be hard to convince yourself the problems could of been avoided with any amount of maintenance.

Glad you haven't had any problems with your tires.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #32
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
You sound as though you are assuming everybody's problems with tires are due to owner negligence. Wrong!

Sounds like you got lucky with original tires, but you don't say what they are or how much you use them.

Read up on the problems with ST tires made in China and it will be hard to convince yourself the problems could of been avoided with any amount of maintenance.

Glad you haven't had any problems with your tires.
I have read of all the problems with OE Chinese tires on this forum....seems to be a continuing problem for some. But those of us without problems don't talk about it, because how boring would that be?! I too have tires mfg in China, with about 10,000 miles on my unit in the past few years. We don't know how most owners care for their tires...I'm assuming most at least check pressures, but who knows? How many run their units against, or over, curbs? Run down the highway in excess of the speed limits of their tires? There are far to many variables to just say "I'm lucky."
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #33

I put a lot of the blame on the factory.
Turns out my tires were 14 month's old the day the camper was built. However they didn't fail from age, the tread separated which is nearly always a defective tire. I check the pressure before every trip.
The owners manuals only give the tires maximum pressure at it's maximum load (usually in three languages). But they have a page or more talking about abnormal tire wear that from the pictures looks like it came out of an automobile repair manual at least 50 years ago. Those of us who actually read the manuals get frustrated at all the useless information.
Nowhere do they mention a speed rating.
Harold41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #34

Max load rating, inflation & speed are all molded into the sidewall of the tire.

At least it was on all the ST tires I've ever used.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #35

There was no speed rating on the Towmasters I had, I guess it's possible I missed it but I specifically looked for it.
Harold41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Harold41,

Sorry about all those issues although I feel a good quality dealer would have caught and repaired most of those issues if they had done a proper inspection when they received it from the dealer and before you even saw it.!

And have you tried this for the ottoman? Ours fits and our floorplans are almost identical except for the bathroom (I like yours much better). I've found it will fit if the recliners are turned around. Pic only shows how to set it up before closing slides.

Now there is a concept, a dealer inspecting a unit prior to its sale, that almost will never happen bc then they will want to charge you, like CW does for freight and Prep and still misses a ton of crap.

I bought Used first time, fixed everything myself and had great times with that TT. I then bought new, FR Roo had some issues but local CW and FR corrected all of them to nearly 98% of what they should have been.

Now we are buying a used Crusader 5th wheel and with the intent I will basically fix it all myself. The $ I saved will allow me to do many upgrades and when I do things I tend to be 200% over cautious with sealant and triple checking things. Also the big advantage if you can do things yourself, when they break or need adjusting you will know how to do it because you installed it. My first concern will be replacing all 5 tires with Goodyears for piece of mind, then add second AC in bedroom, replace all fans with new remote control 10 speed with rain sensing. New mattress for Queen bed and sofa. According to the unit I bought it already has an EasyCare extended warranty for appliances so hopefully this one turns out to be a good one and I won't need that.

Tags
crusader