Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Winter Camping

We're getting ready to camp in winter weather and I have some questions about our 2014 Sanibel model 3050(36'8").
#1 It has two tank heaters, which 2 tanks does it heat? We have grey, galley and black tanks. What do I do about the remaining tank?
#2 I plan on getting a Pirit heated water hose, anything else I need to purchase for freezing temps?
#4 Any other hints on how to survive freezing temps in our 5er?

Thanks
rvickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvickers View Post
We're getting ready to camp in winter weather and I have some questions about our 2014 Sanibel model 3050(36'8").
#1 It has two tank heaters, which 2 tanks does it heat? We have grey, galley and black tanks. What do I do about the remaining tank?
#2 I plan on getting a Pirit heated water hose, anything else I need to purchase for freezing temps?

Thanks

1 - I think each switch operates 2 tank heaters each, black, galley, grey and you forgot your fresh water tank. But, that same as you, I don't know which switch is for which tanks so, when I feel they'll be needed, I just turn them both on.

2 - How cold will you expect it to get? You will still have to worry about the CG's stand pipe freezing. I usually put some water in the fresh water tank (hence the tank heater) and then shut down the CG's supply and drain the hose and let it lay, especially overnight. If it's warm or sunny during the day the hose would probably be fine.

3 - We use electric heaters and the electric fireplace to maintain warmth inside the RV saving your propane. Of course, depending on the size and output of your electric heaters and outside temp governs if and how often the propane furnace will run.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #3

We're currently in Colorado Springs for another month and then to Livingston Texas so the potential is middle to high 20's...
Old 10-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #4

Quote:
We're currently in Colorado Springs for another month and then to Livingston Texas so the potential is middle to high 20's...

Do you plan on heating the CG's standpipe also? If so, you should be OK.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 PM   #5

I am a full timer in a 2012 Sanibel 3500 and live in a climate that occasionally drops into the 20s. You can buy a heated hose or make your own. I buy PVC pipe insulation and a 25-30 foot heat strip at Lowes. I put the 3 ft sections of insulation around the hose and then tape the heat strip along the seam using heat resistant tape. Don't tape the heat strip directly to the hose, it will melt. I leave a little excess heat strip to tape the water spigot and wrap it with a little insulation. I also put my water filter on the trailer side in the compartment and wrap that with insulation only.

You want to run your propane on freezing days. This sends some heat to the underbelly to help keep your internal pipes and tanks from freezing. I learned a lesson using only space heaters in a previous unit I owned.
Oldcamp1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #6

Haven't thought about the standpipe, maybe go with the Pirit hose and just wrap the standpipe.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #7

Quote:

Thanks
I too had this question on the heater and was provided with information from PT (attached). My 2013 Sanibel 3500 has two grey water tank, each 45 gals, one black, and one fresh.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tank heaters.pdf (40.8 KB, 50 views)
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter