Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #1

Winter Cover for 5th wheel

Just completed our winter cover for the Crusader 290 RLT!
New road covered with 2" rock circles the Quonset-barn and makes for easy entry.

40'Lx16'Wx14'H enamel-coated steel roof supported by 2x4 trusses on 2x8 beams supported by 6x6 PT posts buried 4' deep set in concrete. We started at 8AM and the crew was finished at 3:30 that afternoon.
Hats off to Premier Barns out of Richmond, MO.
Hail in spring/summer/fall, and extreme humidity under a burning sun in the summer are the main enemies here. Snow-load not an issue.
Click image for larger version

Name:	09_hibernation 02.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	22046
Fully winterized with water lines air-blown, then pumped with RV anti-freeze, but we leave her on "shore-power" 24/7.

Can't wait for late January and Arizona!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #2

Very nice! Did you compare the cost of wood frame to the metal frames they make? I'm eventually going to get one or the other and I'm just curious if the wood is less expensive.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #3

Sweet. I would like to do the same.

2012 Crusader 290RLT
2010 Ford F-250 King Cab Diesel
Harley Davidson Edition
jriddering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #4

Question - Can you get your living room slides open with that width? I am doing a little research for future building and thought I'd check
Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
Question - Can you get your living room slides open with that width? I am doing a little research for future building and thought I'd check
With a 16' width I would have to imagine so.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #6

I would have to agree, I think the angle the picture was taken is making me wonder...
From what I have seen in research there is no price difference between 16' and 18' widths, guess it just depends on what you can fit on your land and what you need.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Very nice! Did you compare the cost of wood frame to the metal frames they make? I'm eventually going to get one or the other and I'm just curious if the wood is less expensive.
X2

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Very nice!

Hopefully we'll run into to you in AZ this Jan.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #9

Very nice. Wish we could build one on our property...but we're pushing it just keeping our 5th wheel in our driveway.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
If you come to------------

If you come to Florida for the winter, you will not need the cover!

But for Kansas City area, nice cover!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Good question!
The 6X6 pressure-treated posts are 20 footers with a +4foot bury and they are straight as rulers; they were pricey. So was the enamel-clad steel roof, but I liked the 40 year warranty over plain galvanized.

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Old 12-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
One slide is very tight to a post. the other 2 can open. Actually, I plan on keeping them closed when in storage anyway. I took out our rear leather recliners and removed all the blankets and linen to store them here in the house just in case we get a mouse in there. The barn cat has the rodent population in the area down to near-zero as she is a holy terror, but I have lots of small trays of poison both inside and outside.
My ant traps are plastic condiment containers filler with a water/sugar/borax solution and that mix wipes out the whole colony. There are lots of ants around early spring, but none near the house or barn.
I also spread soluble sulfur around the area spring and early summer twice a year to keep snakes away from the barn and have never had a rattler or copperhead molt in there yet.
The shed is about 60 yards from the house, so to load up we have always towed the trailer closer to the house. Kathy organizes all our "trailer stuff" in deep WalMart plastic bins in the basement, so loading up and unloading is a snap... We also keep good packing lists to make sure we leave nothing essential behind. Our cargo has never exceeded 750-800 pounds including our bikes, inflatable boat, 6hp outboard and golf clubs, fishing gear, 'emergency' water, food and clothing and we tow dry.
Sorry for going off topic!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_KHawthorne View Post
One slide is very tight to a post. the other 2 can open. Actually, I plan on keeping them closed when in storage anyway.
Thanks for the info!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #14

Quote:
One slide is very tight to a post. the other 2 can open. Actually, I plan on keeping them closed when in storage anyway. I took out our rear leather recliners and removed all the blankets and linen to store them here in the house just in case we get a mouse in there. The barn cat has the rodent population in the area down to near-zero as she is a holy terror, but I have lots of small trays of poison both inside and outside.
My ant traps are plastic condiment containers filler with a water/sugar/borax solution and that mix wipes out the whole colony. There are lots of ants around early spring, but none near the house or barn.
I also spread soluble sulfur around the area spring and early summer twice a year to keep snakes away from the barn and have never had a rattler or copperhead molt in there yet.
The shed is about 60 yards from the house, so to load up we have always towed the trailer closer to the house. Kathy organizes all our "trailer stuff" in deep WalMart plastic bins in the basement, so loading up and unloading is a snap... We also keep good packing lists to make sure we leave nothing essential behind. Our cargo has never exceeded 750-800 pounds including our bikes, inflatable boat, 6hp outboard and golf clubs, fishing gear, 'emergency' water, food and clothing and we tow dry.
Sorry for going off topic!
your Tundra has a payload capacity of 1465lbs .Your rv hitch weight is 1200lbs empty by primetime's website.So just wondering if you and your wife and all your gear in truck is less than 265lbs. If you are your good. I have a Toyota Tundra Double cab with the 5.7 V8 tow package and I put a deposit on a Primetime Crusader until I came home and did my homework. My salesman answer was put air shocks on my truck. I told him that does not change my payload capacity. I see many Tundra's towing a 5th wheel .My ? is are they within their payloads.The Tundra is a 1/2 ton pickup. I will say my tundra is a beast but I refuse to tow going over my trucks payload capacity.
mb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2011 View Post
your Tundra has a payload capacity of 1465lbs .Your rv hitch weight is 1200lbs empty by primetime's website.So just wondering if you and your wife and all your gear in truck is less than 265lbs. If you are your good. I have a Toyota Tundra Double cab with the 5.7 V8 tow package and I put a deposit on a Primetime Crusader until I came home and did my homework. My salesman answer was put air shocks on my truck. I told him that does not change my payload capacity. I see many Tundra's towing a 5th wheel .My ? is are they within their payloads.The Tundra is a 1/2 ton pickup. I will say my tundra is a beast but I refuse to tow going over my trucks payload capacity.
So do I!
If you care to PM me, i might inform you of how I increased payload, lowered pin weight, and made it through 2 weight inspections in Canada!

Old 12-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #16

Quote:
So do I!
If you care to PM me, i might inform you of how I increased payload, lowered pin weight, and made it through 2 weight inspections in Canada!
I have been to a spring and equipment shop and legally they CANNOT change my weight labels on the door. I can add all the springs and lift kits and air bags I want they will not change the door sticker weight specs.especially increasing my payload. This Tundra is build as a half ton truck with the factory specs for a reason. Since you might inform me if i email you I will not waste my time because of the word might.so if you only put 800 lbs of cargo you are barely under your 10,000lbs weight .of course you will make it thru inspection stations.After talking to the spring shop I personally will never try to increase my payload. There is a resaon why trucks come thru with factory specs. I will go and buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pick up when time comes for me when I buy my 5th wheel with a empty weight of 8500 plus pounds or more. And my hitch weight is over 1000lbs with nothing in my truck. I would hate to see if I was involved in a fatal accident when I was pulling my rv and I was being questioned on my factory spec payload weight. If your spring shop gave you documented paperwork I quess your good . I know my spring shop which is one of the largest in my state refused to alter my factory specs. By doing so they are also responsible if i'm involved in a fatal accident. Good Luck! Everybody has there own feeling when it comes to hauling their rig .I personally will try not to lose everything that I have work for in my life.Good luck.
mb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2011 View Post
I have been to a spring and equipment shop.... &etc.
Most humbly and respectfully... You are quite right, but are barking up the wrong tree!

Did I say anything about a Spring and Equipment Shop? did I say anything about altering stickers or paperwork? Please, set aside your assumptions for a moment? There is more than one way to skin a cat, as they say! (my apologies to cat-lovers)
No, I did not go to a Spring and Equipment shop... The GVWR is stock and perfectly legal.

However, if you take some simple steps with a stock pick-up, you can do a lot to lower the curb weight substantially, which of course increases your de-facto payload by an equal margin. Suppose you towed without a 60 pound tailgate? And put the spare tire and rim somewhere else where it could move weight off your truck and also off the pin? If you are only using the truck for towing, and your family is all grown up like mine, what seats and other equip do you need in the rear of the cab, and how much do they weigh? There are other ways to lower curb weight, as you know, but I didn't want to totally "gut" the truck. I like what I have for a TV and I can restore her to stock condition in just a day or two. (Yes, I replace the spare for motoring around town)

As for the trailer, we both really liked the floor plan and layout above all else, and liked most of the features. There were features that we decided were not to our liking, however. We heat with wood and geothermal at home, and the faux-fireplace failed to impress me. It came out, and as the location is 4.5 feet aft of the zero moment center of mass; anything stored there over the net 42 pound-weight reduction of the fireplace actually decreases pin weight. (flying aircraft taught me a thing or two about weight and balance. Have you ever noticed that there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there don't seem to be too many pilots around that are both old and bold? I'm 67.)

A lot of our heavy stuff goes in the "empty" cabinet.
We also didn't like the 2 factory rockers much and replaced them with our own Norwegian teak & leather recliners that weight half as much. We use 2 of the dinette chairs in the house and do not travel with them, freeing up space and reducing excess weight in the rear of the trailer and freeing it up for other cargo. The large drawer under the sofa is designed to hold the inflatable air mattress and bedding. We didn't need another bed, and we use the mattress (it ain't all that light) here in the house for unexpected guests. (they are getting better about calling ahead). That space now houses my tool kit and our fishing wader boots, the boat anchors and some other heavy stuff that you don't need to know about.

Off the lot and dry, our rig tipped the scales weighed in at 8563; 9 pounds less than the sticker for some reason, which was a surprise. It now weighs in at about 8377 last time at Beacon and 8384 over at the gravel-pit. (Well, nobody's perfect)

My 2 Honda 2000 generators, my tool kit and trailer jack, our hybrid bikes, our golf bags & equipment, the truck spare and rim (which would be easier to get at if I got a truck flat anyway) are under the rear of the trailerl, our sewer hoses in their 4" light PVC housing and much of our heavy gear travel aft of the trailer axles.

Our baggage compartment is reserved for our outboard motor (47lbs) and our inflatable boat (Achilles LSI 310 is 80 lbs), fresh water hoses, shore power cable, and that's about it.

I will not tell you what our normal travel pin weight is, but it's lower than some would recommend. There have been times when a heavier pin weight would have made me feel a little better in those Nebraska crosswinds, but we stopped, took a break and made a couple of new friends.

Yet we have towed over 10,500 miles and have been inspected and weighed on portable scales once in British Columbia and once in Alberta. (They usually just wave tourists through, but our Missouri plates look at lot like British Columbia plates from any distance, and those guys can be mean, I hear... especially early in the season)
So, like I said, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
About me:

I am an old hay farmer / cattle producer, having operated on both sides of the 49th parallel, and have owned Ford, Chev, GMC, and Dodge trucks from 1/2 ton to a Ford Louisville. I would rather not say what my recent experiences with some of these has been, but I chose Toyota for personal reasons. The tranny and most of the electrical on my previous P/U was glued and duc-taped together in Mexico, and didn't make it past 120,000 easy, retired miles. To each his own and 'nuff said on that score.

The Tundra now churns out about 410HP with her mods and we don't know the exact torque. But we sailed over the Empire Pass west of Denver on I-70 @ 55 mph (about my usual towing road speed, and best MPG speed) without a whimper or a movement in the tranny/rad temp gauges.

We ran the horrendous roller-coaster circuit through Flaming Gorge, and ran up and down the endless and very steep grade east of the Bear Tunnel over the Coquihalla highway in BC. Braking, towing power and acceleration have been excellent on all surfaces from snow and slush to fry-an-egg asphalt and concrete. We get an acceptable 10-11 mpg.

As confession is good for,the soul, there have been a few times when our gross payload has topped our max by a slight margin, like when we used the rig as a moving van, but those have been few and far between. However, at no time have I ever exceeded the max towing capacity.

The Tundra now has about 18K miles on her (her break-in was 2000 miles never above 50mph but at fluctuating speeds... I don't give a rat's ass what anyone says... break them in) and I am not yet ready to say it is the best truck I have owned, but it has exceeded my expectations to date.

I appreciate your 'good luck(s)'. In this game we need a little luck once in awhile. But in life as in raising cattle, growing hay, flying or investing, "luck" and "hope" are extremely poor strategies. By all means live by your numbers, but if you can safely use them to your advantage, do so.

(now do you see why I suggested a PM?)

Old 12-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #18

Jim,

That was one of the BEST posts I have read on this forum. My Grandfather was a farmer and I admired his common sense approach to life, as I do you. Well stated.
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #19
Newbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
Jim,

That was one of the BEST posts I have read on this forum. My Grandfather was a farmer and I admired his common sense approach to life, as I do you. Well stated.
X2!!!

Tags
5th wheel