Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post

The high of our tours yesterday was the visit to the Arlington National Cemetery for a special reef laying at the TOMB of the Unknown Solider. It was a very, very special event for four of US FROGS to be included in the event. What a HONOR it was to be part of the event.

Here are a couple of photos from the wreath laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unkown. I am so jealous of those FROGs that were selected to participate. What a tremendous honor. The wreath that Forest River provided was beautiful.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Here are a couple of photos from the wreath laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unkown. I am so jealous of those FROGs that were selected to participate. What a tremendous honor. The wreath that Forest River provided was beautiful.

OUTSTANDING FOLKS. We were there last year and saw a wreath ceremony and a changing of the guard ceremony. VERY VERY MOVING ! ! !
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #163
PPST OGCDG

Outstanding.
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #164
Director, FROG

Thursday was a “down day,” a chance for people to rest, relax, and explore on their own. Many of our group got out and enjoyed the beautiful weather and some of the spectacular sights in and around Washington, DC. It was a day to do some shopping, or just to hang around the campground and visit with one another.

On Friday we picked up where we had left on Wednesday. Following a continental breakfast, we boarded the buses for a return trip to the city and more adventures.

Our first stop was the Jefferson Memorial, located along the Tidal Basin, the center of the explosion of cherry blossoms yet to come. Jefferson’s towering bronze statue, standing 19 feet tall, dominates the memorial. Excerpts from some of his writings, including the two in which he took the most pride, are inscribed on the walls of the memorial.

For all of the accomplishments in his life, Jefferson ordered that a simple summary be inscribed on his headstone at his beloved Monticello. He supplied a sketch of the shape of the marker, and the epitaph with which he wanted it to be inscribed:

"...on the faces of the Obelisk the following inscription, & not a word more:

Here was buried
Thomas Jefferson
Author of the Declaration of American Independence
of the Statute of Virginia for religious freedom
Father of the University of Virginia

"because by these," he explained, "as testimonials that I have lived, I wish most to be remembered."

Both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson were members of the Continental Congress that adopted the Declaration of Independence, and Jefferson was its chief author. In a strange twist of history, both died on July 4, 1826, the 50th anniversary of the Declaration. The last words that Adams reportedly spoke were, “Thomas Jefferson lives.” He did not know that Jefferson had died only a few hours earlier.

From the Jefferson Memorial we proceeded to Ford’s Theater. On April 9, 1865, General Robert E. Lee had surrendered his Confederate Army to General Ulysses S. Grant, ending the Civil War. Five nights later, President and Mrs. Lincoln attended a performance of “Our American Cousin” at Ford’s Theater. The President had invited the Grants to join them, but General Grant declined, citing a desire to return home from the war. He was replaced by Major Rathbone and his fiancé.

Shortly after 10:15, a well-known actor and Southern sympathizer, John Wilkes Booth, walked into the unguarded Presidential box, stepped behind the President, and fired a ball from a single shot derringer into the Mr. Lincoln’s head. Booth leapt from the box down to the stage, breaking his leg in the fall. He limped across the stage, then occupied by a single actor, and escaped from the rear of the theater. The President was carried across the street to the Petersen Boarding House, where he died the following morning.

We enjoyed a drama about the lead-up to the shooting and its aftermath, performed by two actors portraying the theater owner and the actor on the stage at the time of the shooting. Many of the FROGs sat in the Dress Circle, or first balcony, reaching their seats via the same stairs that Booth climbed, and sitting only feet from the entrance to President Lincoln’s box. A few members had time to visit the Petersen House before we departed for the National Archives.

Everyone American should visit the National Archives if possible. Badly faded, the original Declaration of Independence still proudly displays the words, “IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776” at the top. Most of the text, though faded, is still legible, including John Hancock’s bold signature, written in large script so that King George could read it even without his spectacles. The Constitution, adopted by “WE THE PEOPLE of the United States,” still bears the fully legible signatures of George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Hamilton, and the other patriots who combined loosely joined states into a nation.

The original Bill of Rights, a copy of the British Magna Carta, and a broad array of displays related to the founding documents make the rotunda of the National Archives a shrine to the founding of the United States.

Lunch was a picnic under clear sunny skies at Haines Point, where the Anacostia River flows into the Potomac, directly across the river from the Pentagon. From there we were off to the Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial, one of the largest in Washington, arranged into four plazas representing the four terms of office to which Roosevelt was elected. Statues, quotations, waterfalls, landscaping and more make for an extraordinary tribute. Crossing the Arlington Memorial Bridge, we proceeded to the U.S. Marine Corps Memorial, also known as the Iwo Jima Memorial, a massive statues recreating the raising of the American Flag on Mount Suribachi, following brutal fighting to capture the Iwo Jima Island during World War II. The memorial also commemorates all of the fronts on which the Marines have fought, “from the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli,” throughout their more than 200 years.

The last stop of the day was perhaps the most moving. Arlington National Cemetery is the final resting place of tens of thousands of American service members, many of whom gave their lives in defense of their country. Two Presidents are buried there, along with service members from generals and admirals to privates. There are memorials to the crews of the Challenger and Columbia space shuttles, and the mast and crow’s nest of the USS Maine. But the central focus of the cemetery is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

The original tomb, a massive marble memorial, holds the remains of an unidentified American soldier killed in World War I. It is engraved, “HERE RESTS IN HONORED GLORY AN AMERICAN SOLDIER KNOWN BUT TO GOD.” Chambers added later hold the remains of Unknown Soldiers from World War II and the Korean War.

One chamber stands empty. The Unknown Soldier from the Vietnam War was later identified as 1LT Michael Blassie, and his remains were returned to his home near St. Louis and buried at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery.

Tomb Sentinels from the Army’s 3rd Infantry Regiment’s “The Old Guard” have guarded the Tomb for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year regardless of the weather, since 1948.

Prior to our trip, FROG had contacted the Superintendent of Arlington National Cemetery and received permission to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Several of our members who are former military members or parents of current members volunteered for a “special assignment” without knowing its nature. The group was proudly represented by Sid Brown, U.S. Navy (Ret.); Lisa Crawford, U.S. Air Force (Ret.); Tony Rodgers, father of Capt. Tony Rodgers, Jr., U.S. Army; and Anita Rateike, whose son is a Captain in the U.S. Marine Corps and is currently deployed in the Middle East.

Hearts swelled with pride, and eyes with tears, as we were privileged to observe the ceremony. We thank all of these members for representing FROG so honorably, and we thank them and their families for their service to the United States.

Winding down the day, the group boarded the buses for the return to the campground, dinner and rest, and a final big evening to follow.

More to come…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4261.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	27386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3677.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	27387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3705.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	27388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4303.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	27389   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00286.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	27390  

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #165

Tomb of the Unknown

I'm enjoying your reviews on the rally in DC. The only thing that could have made it better would have been to get a view of those Cherry Blossoms.

Please note that Tony's last name is Rodgers not Martin and he was so honored to represent his son and others in our families who are currently and have served in conflicts from WWI to the present.

Meeting and getting to know all the F.R.O.G,'s was a wonderful experience. Hope you all traveled safely and that we will see you again soon.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #166
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
I'm enjoying your reviews on the rally in DC. The only thing that could have made it better would have been to get a view of those Cherry Blossoms.

Please note that Tony's last name is Rodgers not Martin and he was so honored to represent his son and others in our families who are currently and have served in conflicts from WWI to the present.

Meeting and getting to know all the F.R.O.G,'s was a wonderful experience. Hope you all traveled safely and that we will see you again soon.
My apologies to Tony. I was writing that around 1:00 a.m. and my brain wasn't working. I'll get it fixed.

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 04-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #167
Director, FROG

Following Friday night’s events, capped by the emotion of the wreath-laying ceremony, Saturday’s activities were as varied as the FROGs attending the Cherry Blossom Festival Rally.

The early part of the day was unscheduled, so many of our members went back into the District for another chance to see some of the sights. Others headed to attractions outside of the city or took advantage of some shopping opportunities. Still others chose to relax around the campground and visit.

Around 3:30 the tour buses came by again, and we were off to a buffet dinner at Sir Walter Raleigh’s in College Park, MD. They did such a good job for us last year that we decided to return, and were glad that we did. We had the restaurant to ourselves for an early dinner. Expecting three entrees, we received five – chicken, pork loin, Swedish meatballs, lemon-buttered salmon, and Andouille sausage. Along with several sides, dessert, drinks, and the restaurant’s legendary salad and soup bar, the choices made for an excellent dinner with great service in a casual atmosphere.

Adding a personal touch, owners Jerry and Ronni made it a point to stop by every table, introducing themselves and thanking our members for stopping by. Jerry had told us when we made the reservation that we would be there on his birthday, so we used the occasion to make him an honorary FROG. Ronni remains convinced that we must have intended to give them a new Forest River RV and that we simply forgot to bring the keys.

Leaving Sir Walter Raleigh, we returned to the city for a brief stint of souvenir shopping, then proceded to perhaps the most famous address in the District of Columbia – 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW. Strolling in front of The White House, flanked on one side by the Treasury Department and on the other by the Eisenhower Executive Office Building was a heady experience, especially for the many in the group who had never seen it before. The closure of Pennsylvania Avenue in front of all three buildings, prompted by the truck bombing of the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City and made permanent by the 9/11 attacks, creates a broad promenade between The White House and Lafayette Park.

From there we were off to the World War II Memorial, a massive plaza honoring the both the victory and the sacrifice made by so many American service members in both the Atlantic and Pacific Theaters of War. Four thousand gold stars, each representing 100 Americans who gave their lives to the cause of freedom, stand in mute testimony to their sacrifice.

The final stop of the evening was at the new United States Air Force Memorial, perched on a hill overlooking the Pentagon and providing a panoramic view of the District of Columbia. The focal point of the memorial is a group of three stainless steel arcs soaring upward, representing fighter jets executing an aerial maneuver.

The site provided a great view of the Cherry Blossom Festival fireworks display exploding above the Tidal Basin as a fitting close to the evening. (Some of the group claimed that Cindy and I had arranged for the fireworks display as a grand finale to the trip. We didn’t want to create a scene by arguing with them.)

Sunday morning provided a final opportunity to get together for breakfast. Members shared memories, photos, and hugs, and made plans to get together wither on their own or as part of future FROG events. Several will be at Niagara Falls, and many more in Goshen. Quite a few want information on the western tours as soon as details are complete, and some will join us in Charleston.

It was an outstanding week full of exciting activities with wonderful people. The Cherry Blossoms very nearly cooperated, and would have been at peak if we’d had a couple of warmer days. (They were nearly all open Monday afternoon.)

I can’t wait to do it again. Come join us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4318[1].jpg
Views:	59
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	27544   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3749.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	27545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3757.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	27546   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2805 adj.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	27549   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3766.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	27550  

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #168
PPST OGCDG

Thanks for sharing the information and the Pictures
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #169

We had a fabulous time at Cherry Hill. We are so appreciative to Bob and Cindy for all of your organizational skills for the trip. So many terrific memories of that trip. We left there for southern MD and are now in Virginia. This is our maiden voyage with our new MicroLite. And a great one it has been.

Don/Anita
Indiana
darhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #170
Director, FROG

Don & Anita, thanks for the kind words! We did have a good time, didn't we?

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 04-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #171

I can't say enough good things about Bob and Cindy and their hard work at organizing these rallies. Many thanks to them.

A few more pics that I took during the Cherry Blossom Festival. Of the war memorials we visited, I feel that the Korean War Memorial does the best job at paying tribute to those who served. The Marine Memorial is a close second…my opinion of course.

Here are two views of the Korean War Memorial.

With no tours scheduled on Thursday the 4th, Ralph and Adrienne (RalphieAdie) were kind enough to invite us to join them on a trip to the Air and Space Museum Annex next to the Dulles Airport. I’m so glad they did because I don’t have the proper attitude for driving in Wash D.C. traffic. The annex was huge and housed some truly historic aircraft. Thank you RalphieAdie.

The Enola Gay B-29 Superfortress Bomber

The Space Shuttle Discovery.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #172
MI Camperz

Glad you guys had so much fun! Thanks for sharing. Washington DC is truly a remarkable place....all that history....it's haunting, really.
I'm a huge Lincoln fan and I streamed tears when at his memorial. One, because he was senselessly assassinated, and Two, because I'm lucky enough to live in a country that allows me to travel freely.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by darhike View Post
We had a fabulous time at Cherry Hill. We are so appreciative to Bob and Cindy for all of your organizational skills for the trip. So many terrific memories of that trip. We left there for southern MD and are now in Virginia. This is our maiden voyage with our new MicroLite. And a great one it has been.

Don/Anita
Indiana

We second that. Bob and Cindy do a great job of organizing, but what makes them truly special is the "extra" care that they show to everyone. From looking for answers, making sure that everyone is safe and cared for, and for the knack that they have to make you feel like one of the family! Not something everyone could or would do. Kudos guys! And many many thanks

FRF & FROG member
Rallies 12 & 13, Cherry Blossom 13, Branson 13... More to come!
CheezPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #174
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Glad you guys had so much fun! Thanks for sharing. Washington DC is truly a remarkable place....all that history....it's haunting, really.
I'm a huge Lincoln fan and I streamed tears when at his memorial. One, because he was senselessly assassinated, and Two, because I'm lucky enough to live in a country that allows me to travel freely.
Amen to that!!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote