Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #201
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Yes, I can see why you might be confused. Here's how I understand it (I registered and attended in 2015). You don't "reply", you register through links on the Forest River Frog site [FROG - Forest River Owners Group] or one of its daughter pages when and only when registration is open. That information will be available here. When you register, you will be assured a site.

You can't reserve a site for during the rally by calling the fairgrounds. BUT... some of us went to Goshen early last year and, in that case, we did call the fairgrounds office to reserve a site for the nights we spent before the rally. Fairgrounds management folks are aware who is coming early to the rally and assign a site so "earlies" won't have to move. If this is wrong, I guarantee someone will correct me.

The title of this thread is "2016 International Annual Frog Rally August 14 to 20 2016".
I think FROG assigns the sites and will park you when you arrive, whether early or not. I'm not sure if the fairgrounds has a master list or not, they may have at time of rally, but maybe not before. The fairgrounds do collect the money for the extra nights. The parking crew is usually the first to arrive and will have the list.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #202
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

As stated before, showing up early doesn't get you a "better" site, it just gets you there early.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #203

Last year I showed up three days early and I was parked as far away from things as possible and I was handicapped. Handicapped parking was empty at the time. Took several hours to correct the situation.

Bottom line it appears to me if you have never attended be prepared to walk. The more you have attended the closer you get or if you have a fifth wheel you get preferred treatment.

There may be people that disagree but this was what it looked like last year.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #204

A word to the wise. If you are not registered as a FROG do so now. The FROG website that Mr. Dan provided FROG - Forest River Owners Group is where you join the FROG organization (it's free) and where you will find official information and registration for the rally once it is officially posted.

Membership in the Forest River Forum is not the same as membership in the Forest River Owner's Group (FROG). They are two separate entities.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #205
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Last year I showed up three days early and I was parked as far away from things as possible and I was handicapped. Handicapped parking was empty at the time. Took several hours to correct the situation.

Bottom line it appears to me if you have never attended be prepared to walk. The more you have attended the closer you get or if you have a fifth wheel you get preferred treatment.

As far as I know that shouldn't have been the case. If you indicate you need a handicapped spot at the time of registration, they were supposed to give them the preferential treatment first. Next comes specific people who are part of putting on the event (Like Frog Bob). The rest of the spots are pretty much pulled out of a hat. Having met Bob a time or two, I wouldn't be surprised if he used an actual hat for this process.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #206
Site Team

Quote:
... if you have a fifth wheel you get preferred treatment.

From my perspective, I'd have to disagree. I arrived on Friday with my fifth wheel and was sent to the far east end along with many other 5th wheels. I was given the "next slot" in that pasture. When all rigs were parked for the rally, there were only 2 rows of units farther out. I had no problem with where I was parked but it's obvious we did not get preferred treatment.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #207

Quote:

The only ones you might consider as getting preferred treatment are the individual clubs (Cardinal club, Cedar Creek club, Columbus club, R-Pods, etc.). Their preferred treatment is to being grouped together. By the way, the Cedar Creek group (almost 100 units) was on the infield of the race track and hardly close to anything.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #208
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I think FROG assigns the sites and will park you when you arrive, whether early or not. I'm not sure if the fairgrounds has a master list or not, they may have at time of rally, but maybe not before. The fairgrounds do collect the money for the extra nights. The parking crew is usually the first to arrive and will have the list.
I assume you are correct about FROG assigning the sites, AquaMan. As far as I remember (the old boy's gray matter has turned a pale shade of white!), FROG Bob told me to tell the fairgrounds office when I called to reserve the two early nights that I was coming to the rally so everything lined up correctly.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #209

This Hat! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 fall 1228.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	101048  
Old 03-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #210

Bring bicycles! Yes, one can be far away from the action, but there are a lot of paved sidewalks and roads, and it is mostly level, so riding is easy.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #211

The fairgrounds are huge and yes, it might be quite a walk to get to some of the activities. But you don’t necessarily have to walk, FROG provides shuttles and golf cart taxis that drive around the fairgrounds all day long. At least they did last year and I would think they would be doing this again this year, and yes, it’s free.

This is my wife hard at work as a FROG volunteer driving one of the many taxis.
Click image for larger version

Name:	11853843_1012750175416616_784588273_n.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	101049

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #212
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
As far as I know that shouldn't have been the case. If you indicate you need a handicapped spot at the time of registration, they were supposed to give them the preferential treatment first. Next comes specific people who are part of putting on the event (Like Frog Bob). The rest of the spots are pretty much pulled out of a hat. Having met Bob a time or two, I wouldn't be surprised if he used an actual hat for this process.

This I did and got a Handicapped spot, they are not full hook ups but it was nice and close to the feed barn and registration. Also brought my Buzz scooter for getting around the rest of the camp grounds Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #213
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
As a member of the parking committee for the last 3 years, I can assure you that this is not the case.

When Registration opens up you will be guaranteed a site and there is a place to put "Handicap" needs during the registration process.

There will be nearly 800 campers coming in August and the number of folks with Handicap tags (based solely on age demographics) exceeds the number of Meadow spots by a large factor. NOTE - THESE SITES DO NOT HAVE SEWER.

Also, not all "handicaps" are equal so if you have special needs like wheel chair accessible, or walker only, make sure that gets into your reservation! Showing up with a tag hanging in the window may not get you handicap parking if you did not put it in your registration.

If your particular handicap requires a sewer connection (we actually had 2 or 4 last year) you must indicate handicap in the registration and follow up WITH A PHONE CALL to FROG Bob Byrne (who is the ONLY one who can make sure you are accommodated.

There are over a hundred golf carts, bus carts, "Antique Farm Tractor" trailer busses that run pretty much around the clock and walking from even the remote sites is very short (less than 100 yards). NO one need walk to meals or classes that does not or can not do so.

Volunteers working parking, transportation, and staff functions are all over the place and all of them will give you a lift to wherever you need to go.

As far as arriving early;

Due to the nightmare we had last year of people wandering in unannounced many days early; there will be a "NO EARLIER DATE" in your registration confirmation email. That will be few days before the start of the rally because it will be physically impossible to park everyone on Sunday alone.

It will be to your benefit to choose your departure date to get there early (just NOT before the no earlier than date). That way you get to be parked, set up, and having a cold one and watch the "parking" show.

Nearly all sites are back in. If you "only do pull throughs", I suggest you find an empty parking lot and practice before you come.

90% of the sites are GRASS (not all Golf Course Level!). Be prepared with wood shoring for "autolevelers", Hose splitters for sharing water, 50 feet of water hoses, 30 or 50 amp extension cords, and if you hit the lottery and get a sewer site 25 or more feet of sewer hose.

This is a COUNTY FAIR ground. The RODEO is before us. There will most likely be "land mines" in and around your site. Bringing a rake might not be out of place.

If you wish to be a volunteer, you MUST CONTACT FROG BOB for consideration. Not everyone who volunteers will be able to come earlier than the "no earlier than date" for general admission.

Your email MUST (MUST) have statement that you are a volunteer AND approved to come in early. If it does not; you will not be able to report early.

Not all volunteers will report on the same day so make sure you follow the "No Earlier" date on the Volunteer email that you get (in addition to the Registration email).

There is lots more to know. I will answer as many questions as I can.
This is really early, but most of the stuff from last year still applies.

This year, anyone who arrives prior to the date on their Registration (or volunteer email) will be turned away (no exceptions). The KOA up the road should be reserved if you plan on arriving before the "Not Earlier Than" date on your paperwork.

We are working really hard to make the parking get better every year.

Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #214
Site Team - Lou

I have been updating a "Goshen Tips" Thread.

You can read it here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nds-88352.html

It is now "stuck" so it won't get buried again.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #215

One suggestion to the parking committee that I would make is to consider the rig before you assign the parking spot. As an example we and a first timer were assigned a spot on the side of a hill. It was by the vendor camp sites but was so Unlevel that it was impossible to get even close to level. We both tried but we couldn't even walk down the hall with out falling into a wall. We were able to move after a court of days bit this is not a site to put a 40' Moho on. I can live without sewer I'm not complaining about that. A small trailer would do fine there but no way a large 5er or class A Moho could or should park there.
All in all the parking goes very smooth and the volunteers do a great job. I just don't believe they understood the slope of that spot.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #216
Site Team - Lou

There were only a few spots in the north east area that required cribbing. Since that area was "hobo parked" (one right after the other), we had very little control over who parked in those spots. Most of the spots there were relatively level and the larger Class A campers had no trouble.

I do know the parking committee scavenged cribbing from all over the Fairgrounds to get those campers properly leveled and there were no complaints afterwards.

The committee is aware now of the less than level spots in the NE area and will be carful of who gets sent there this year.

Still, if you have auto-levelers, you should be prepared with some minimum level of cribbing when camping at any fairground.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
There were only a few spots in the north east area that required cribbing. Since that area was "hobo parked" (one right after the other), we had very little control over who parked in those spots. Most of the spots there were relatively level and the larger Class A campers had no trouble.

I do know the parking committee scavenged cribbing from all over the Fairgrounds to get those campers properly leveled and there were no complaints afterwards.

The committee is aware now of the less than level spots in the NE area and will be carful of who gets sent there this year.

Still, if you have auto-levelers, you should be prepared with some minimum level of cribbing when camping at any fairground.

Not to argue but to clarify there was 3-4 class A's in the NE that had no chance of getting level. We all had more cribbing than was safe to use. We would've had to go to the lumber yard to get enough. It's done and Mike B came through with a new site. All is great and this is not a complaint just feed back. We had a terrific time at the rally and look forward to this year.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:13 PM   #218

Don't even have my 5'er yet, but sure would love to go. I hope I can catch the announcement in time!!!

I don't know diddley about all this, but it's clear that there are some folks on here that work their patoosies off for this thing. And whether we get to go or not, I think they need a huge round of applause.

I would love to meet them. I can't say they will necessarily believe the opposite, but hey. (And I gotta figure out this Phat Phrog thing..........I already 1/2 qualify)...

Bill

BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #219
Phat Phrog

According to the FROG website, registration should come out end if March or beginning of April.
Soooo excited to be able to go this year!!!
Can't wait!!!
Phat Phrogs will be at it again!!!

XLR Owners United!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #220
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
Phat Phrogs will be at it again!!!

In which tone should we take this statement? Will it still be safe to bring the kids?

Tags
frog