Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 09:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamb1950 View Post
When and how can I sign up for the canon beach rally?
Thanks
ummm, not sure there is a canon beach rally. This location doesn't ring any bells.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:05 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks
Wrong thread. Check the forest river owners group web site under “events”.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #23
Director, FROG

Quote:
Thanks
FROG will not be sponsoring an event in Cannon Beach this year. It had in the past been represented to me as being open to all Forest River brands, as is required of all FROG-sponsored events. I eventually came to find out that last year's event (there was none in 2016) was promoted on a brand-specific site for well over a year before I was told that the organizers were ready to post it on the FROG site. When we announced it, it turned out there were only about two sites available, the rest having already been filled by units of that brand without my knowledge.

As a result of that misrepresentation, and the fact that it was occurring again this year, I decided that FROG will not sponsor that event, just as we don't sponsor any other brand-specific sites.

For more information, you might want to go to the R-Pod Nation site.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #24

Oleta and I are hoping to get in on both these rallys. We are watching the FROG event site. I assume that is where we are supposed to sign up.

David & Oleta
2014 Palomino Columbus 295RL
2017 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
dt82153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt82153 View Post
Oleta and I are hoping to get in on both these rallys. We are watching the FROG event site. I assume that is where we are supposed to sign up.
Yes, this site IS NOT primary for notification when the event opens. In fact, unless a member here, who is also a "FROG", posts it, it may not ever show up here.

So be a pal, and when you see an even open, post it in the FROG Rally forum. If one does not already exist; start a new thread.

Your FROG pals will appreciate it!
Old 02-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Bob mentioned that they are separate rallies this year.
Just saw a note on the FROG website (See Here) that the two events are being combined in to one event. I've been following this event closely at it looks really good...
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Just saw a note on the FROG website (See Here) that the two events are being combined in to one event. I've been following this event closely at it looks really good...
Just spotted that earlier today as well.
Thanks for posting that.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #28

we want this! it is perfect for us. so is it one registration for both events? do the dates remain the same. there are three days from the end of Sedona before Albuquerque starts. are you on your own for those three days. the announcement mentioned staying in winslow and gallop between the two. are these now included in a single registration? it says registration opens next week.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #29
Director, FROG

I hope to have this completed and open for registration the week of 2/19. I've been working out pricing and adding a few items along the way.

Camping will be included between Sedona and Albuquerque -- two nights at the Meteor Crater RV Park just outside of Winslow, AZ, and one night at USA RV Park in Gallup, NM. No need to try to fend for yourself. We're doing two nights at Meteor Crater to give some options there -- visit the Meteor Crater; stand on a corner (THE corner) in Winslow, Arizona; enjoy part of the original route and many of the attractions from the halcyon days of Route 66; drive about 50 miles east on I-40 to visit the Petrified Forest National Park and the Painted Desert; even go further to visit the Canyon de Chelly National Monument. It's not a lot of time, but it does provide some options.

At the Grand Canyon we'll enjoy a full breakfast buffet in the Santa Fe Room at Maswik Lodge on the South Rim. Most of the time at the Canyon will be for individual or small group touring using the Park's free trams or, depending on where you want to go, in individual vehicles.

In Sedona we'll be going to a chuckwagon dinner and western music show, and another adventure that I'm working to finalize right now.

In Albuquerque we'll be on the only hookup area -- W/E, no sewer -- at the Balloon Fiesta Park. There are free shuttles to take us to the launch field for launches, balloon glows, fireworks, laser shows, vendors, opportunities to visit with pilots and crews, and more. Last time we were there we got to see only two launches. Saturday the balloons went east (we're south of the field) toward Sandia Peak. We had a clear but distant view. Sunday, the final mass ascension, the wind was perfect, pushing the balloons directly toward us. Some went just over our heads, while probably close to a hundred landed within a few hundred yards of where were sitting at our sites.

In Albuquerque, we'll also be taking two bus tours -- on Friday we'll take the aerial tram 2 1/2 miles up to the top of Sandia Peak to view the 11,000 square mile high desert and mountain landscape, then go to Old Town Albuquerque. Sunday, following the last launch, we'll visit the ancient but still-occupied Acoma Pueblo ("Sky City") and have a buffet lunch on the return to the park.

Overall dates are from 9/30 to 10/15, and registration will open in the next week.

(P.S., the word "halcyon" in the description above is for Youroo, who monitors and occasionally comments on my vocabulary, and often has to look up a word -- like "halcyon." You can ask him if he enjoyed the Balloon Fiesta when we went in 2012.)

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 02-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #30
Always Learning

Sounds amazing, Bob! Last year, at the balloon fiesta, the balloons came over the RV parking area almost every morning. It was amazing! Hope y’all have that kind of luck for your rally.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #31
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Sounds amazing, Bob! Last year, at the balloon fiesta, the balloons came over the RV parking area almost every morning. It was amazing! Hope y’all have that kind of luck for your rally.
Keeping our fingers crossed! We'll provide donuts several mornings, so that the FROGs can enjoy donuts with their coffee (BYOC) and watch the ascension from the lot if they don't want to go over to the launch field.

Cindy and I were crew members for years for a grade school friend of mine who is a professional hot air balloon pilot in St. Louis. We crewed for him several times at the Great Forest Park Balloon Race, and it's still a thrill all these years later when inflation is complete and the balloons launch. At least one morning everyone needs to get over to the launch field.

We also got to fly with Roy about a half-dozen times. It never gets old.

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 02-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #32

Bob, I have never attended a FROG rally, but this one caught my eye. I am new to the forum and would love to do this one. I grew up in Albuquerque and was a teenager when the festival started.
That said where should I look to register?
Harry_Opliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #33

Just saw this I would love to be there. Any other info? I will take you to the best Mexican restaurant in Albuquerque if you like good chili.
Harry_Opliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:06 PM   #34
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Opliger View Post
Bob, I have never attended a FROG rally, but this one caught my eye. I am new to the forum and would love to do this one. I grew up in Albuquerque and was a teenager when the festival started.
That said where should I look to register?
It will open sometime this week. I'll post the exact date / time, and there will be a registration link on the "Events" page of the FROG website,
Grand Canyon / Sedona / Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 02-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #35

Would like to make at least some of this event. Us “working folk” do have challenges and requirements to those that give us “paychecks “.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #36

Can we just do part of the tour, i.e. Sedona (have already done the other two parts)? But, would like to see people we met last year in Bryce Canyon at that rally if they're at this one.
herbspod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #37

Also, in Winslow, you should go see the La Posada hotel. It is one of the remaining Fred Harvey hotels and has been restored. We camped at Meteor Crater last year and it was very nice campground but in June was VERY windy there! Hopefully in October won't be as bad.
herbspod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:11 AM   #38
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbspod View Post
Can we just do part of the tour, i.e. Sedona (have already done the other two parts)? But, would like to see people we met last year in Bryce Canyon at that rally if they're at this one.
Unfortunately, in order to do that I'd have to find someone who wants to do Grand Canyon, skip Sedona, and then go to Albuquerque (or someone who want to do only Grand Canyon and another who wants only Albuquerque), or I end up holding unused reservations for which I have to pay.

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 AM   #39
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbspod View Post
Also, in Winslow, you should go see the La Posada hotel. It is one of the remaining Fred Harvey hotels and has been restored. We camped at Meteor Crater last year and it was very nice campground but in June was VERY windy there! Hopefully in October won't be as bad.
Some of us stopped for lunch at La Posada when we did a trip similar to this back in 2012. You're right about it being a great place, with amazing architecture and history to go with pretty good food.

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 02-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Unfortunately, in order to do that I'd have to find someone who wants to do Grand Canyon, skip Sedona, and then go to Albuquerque (or someone who want to do only Grand Canyon and another who wants only Albuquerque), or I end up holding unused reservations for which I have to pay.

I was thinking on doing the same thing since I would be late to GC and can’t go to AQ. Once it is announced, maybe I will just try to book CG in Sedona not as frog group but at least get to hang with the kool kids.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog