Old 10-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #41

Well ... since we are to be there around 3:00 pm because of changing the traffic flow for the "Christmas lights"..... I have about decided it is best to make a two day trip to Charleston. Twelve hours driving for normal people equals about 14-15 hours for me. So ... looking at staying in Brunswick, GA on Saturday night before. Going to spend some time doing some research on campgrounds off of I-95. Looking forward to coming!!!!

Old 10-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #42
Director, FROG

Debbie, you might want to look at Inland Harbor, just east of I-95 at Exit 49 in Darien. Cindy and I spent a couple of nights there several years ago, one planned and one extra night waiting out major thunderstorms (that turned out to be a tornado) further south.

It's a nice clean place run by a very friendly couple. They take cash and personal checks, but no credit cards. (Owner told me that he'd rather take a chance accepting checks from RVers than knowing that he's going to be gouged by the credit card companies. At least at that time, he had never been burned by an RVer.)

See you in Charleston!

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Debbie, you might want to look at Inland Harbor, just east of I-95 at Exit 49 in Darien. Cindy and I spent a couple of nights there several years ago, one planned and one extra night waiting out major thunderstorms (that turned out to be a tornado) further south.

It's a nice clean place run by a very friendly couple. They take cash and personal checks, but no credit cards. (Owner told me that he'd rather take a chance accepting checks from RVers than knowing that he's going to be gouged by the credit card companies. At least at that time, he had never been burned by an RVer.)

See you in Charleston!
Thanks Bob ... actually I made us reservations for Saturday night at Coastal GA RV Park in Brunswick, GA. Looks to be right off I-95 and about 8 hours away from our starting off point (Mobile, Alabama). Then on Sunday, it would only be about 4 hours to Charleston. That gives us time to get settled in and get a rental car for the week and all without "rushing" and being stressed (hopefully) :-)
Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #44

Question

We have about decided not to rent a car for the time in Charleston at the Rally. Really only have two days where we would use it and if we want to go into town, can take the shuttle in the morning and cab back in the afternoon. But, I really don't want to miss the Christmas lights - can you do the lights on foot? Or is it a drive through thing? Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #45
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
We have about decided not to rent a car for the time in Charleston at the Rally. Really only have two days where we would use it and if we want to go into town, can take the shuttle in the morning and cab back in the afternoon. But, I really don't want to miss the Christmas lights - can you do the lights on foot? Or is it a drive through thing? Thanks!
Debbie, there are several walking areas for the lights, but to get the full effect you need to drive. They request that people not walk through the park because there are few sidewalks, and people driving through with their parking lights on (or no lights on at all) might be looking at the lights and not see pedestrians. The park shuttle is available every evening, and there are enough of us who will have vehicles that getting through the park should not be a problem.

As for going downtown, the shuttle runs from the campground to the visitor center downtown every morning at 9, with a pickup and return from the visitor center at 4. We'll also be doing two full days of tours, with pickup by bus at the campground.

If you're primarily thinking of renting a car to see the lights, I doubt that it will be necessary.

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #46

Quote:
Debbie, there are several walking areas for the lights, but to get the full effect you need to drive. They request that people not walk through the park because there are few sidewalks, and people driving through with their parking lights on (or no lights on at all) might be looking at the lights and not see pedestrians. The park shuttle is available every evening, and there are enough of us who will have vehicles that getting through the park should not be a problem.

As for going downtown, the shuttle runs from the campground to the visitor center downtown every morning at 9, with a pickup and return from the visitor center at 4. We'll also be doing two full days of tours, with pickup by bus at the campground.

If you're primarily thinking of renting a car to see the lights, I doubt that it will be necessary.
Are you saying you can take the Shuttle to see the lights?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #47
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Are you saying you can take the Shuttle to see the lights?
Yes. In fact, we're looking at booking all of the shuttle trips on both arrival nights (Sunday 11/10 & 11/17) for anyone in the group who wants to go and get an overview of the lights and the park.

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 10-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #48

Quote:
Yes. In fact, we're looking at booking all of the shuttle trips on both arrival nights (Sunday 11/10 & 11/17) for anyone in the group who wants to go and get an overview of the lights and the park.
Cool .... thanks ... I'm not going to get a rental car then!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #49

Just a couple more days of work - then we head to Charleston! Very ready :-)
Old 11-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #50

We are at Levi Jackson St Pk in London , KY for a few days.....working our way to Charleston!!

2414 Blue Ridge Drive
Greenwood, In 46143
darhike is offline   Reply With Quote