Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #21
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
Our Frog Juice was a great hit all over the Rally. Next time may have to bring 5 gal or more. We went through a little over 3 gals this year.
Or.... You could just give me the recipe and save yourself all that sweat and effort.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #22
clr

We have attended the last three years now so I do have some what of a background for rating the overall performance of this years rally.
In general this years rally was not up to the same quality as the previous two. But the two previous years I would rate as a 10. This year I would rate as a 8.

The food this year was not up to near the quality of the two previous years. The cater was just not prepared to handle the number of people attending the rally. The food was cold by the time we ate and they ran out of food before all had a chance to eat. Putting the deserts out in a common area was a mistake, some took too many and many get none. Monday nights meal was not the Wow minute as in the previous two years.

I was very surprised by the efficiency of the parking team the first two years this year not so much. I was moved four times before they decided upon the right site. Each time I was told the same story you are too long for this site or area. I drive a 40 foot long 5th wheel and that is what the registration documents that I completed stated. Watching the parking there was much more confusion then in prior years. I had volunteered for the parking team but was not chosen. Bob did send an email to the chosen parking team folks but it would have been good form to also send a Thanks but No Thanks to the volunteers that were not chosen.

One other petty thing in years past each rally attendee was given a FROG bag or coffee mug, but not this year.

The service was a 10 as always. I am always taken by the very hard work of the service folks.

The many volunteers are what makes this work thanks to all that did.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #23

2016 FROG Rally

This was not our first, we have now been to four, but it was by far the best. We were newbies at the very first FROG rally, in fact we still have the original FROG. FR really went all out on the service. The techs were the greatest. We received a new drivers windshield motor driven shade in our 2014 Georgetown XL. Because the programming was bad on our Casio radio/cam system and they did not carry that product any longer, we received a new blue tooth Pioneer radio/cam that is delightful. We also had a shade in the family area that kept falling down, they fixed that, too. We feel like FROG 2016 got the credit for all of this, but it was Forest Rivers' Customer Service Freeby. Truly, Forest River takes better care of their customers than any other RV builder in the world. We, too, are already making our plans for next year. It will be hotter, since it will be the first week in August, but it will be great. The food caterer was great, too. Kudos to Bob Byrnes and his DW.
Sarge1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:17 PM   #24
Broken Toe

Goshen wrap up for me:

It was our first time at Goshen. Arrived to an exceedingly warm welcome on Sunday around 4, got parked with no drama at all. We had decent and friendly neighbors, but we spent most of our time at PPST base camp.

The whole week there was a feeling about the place. Camaraderie is about the closest term I can use to describe it, but its more than that. I have never experienced 1600 people in one place without having conflicts, drama or other unpleasantness.

The food? meh. We didn't know what to expect, but I personally thought while it could have been better, it could have been worse too. We did skip a few breakfasts and dinners simply because we found better alternatives.

The weather was extremely variable. With sun one minute, torrential rains the next and back to sunny the minute after. Not much that FROG could do about it, but I guess some people thought they should.

The tours (factory and otherwise) were phenomenal. We both tremendously enjoyed them. We passed on the stage entertainment, other than walking (quickly) by the accordion guy. Not my cup of tea.

The toilet and shower facilities were very good and clean. In fact, the whole grounds were not only pristine, but the landscaping and flower gardens were really neat to see. We spent a lovely evening just walking around seeing the sights. Some folk get really into the decoration thing, and it was cool to see as we strolled around.

Organizationally, the whole event was a marvel. As far as I know, everything that was supposed to happen, happened when it was supposed to. That alone should earn everybody involved a standing ovation.

If I had to be pinned down and come up with a downside, it gotta be Illinois. Had a hard pull going home into a steady 30-35 mph headwind, only to be followed by a jaunt down the "Illinois Suspension Proving Grounds", or as it's better know, I-255 outside of St. Louis. I mean... Seriously, Can you not figure out how to pave a bridge approach without putting a launching ramp in?!?!?

Memorable moments that stand out:

"its raining men"
The Tiki Hut.
The girls absconding with Aquaman's golf cart and disappearing for hours.
Amish Wedding Lunch.
bison saliva.
"Comma..."
The poor lady almost choking at dinner and the fact that it all ended ok
Berkshires new all-around video surveillance systems, and the uses thereof.
the PPST wine and beer tasting.
Finding a new camper to buy, and actually having the DW agree that we should get it!

and on and on.

Looking forward to next year so much.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 08-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #25
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
For a first timer not knowing what to expect, I was disappointed , the Sunday nite meal ruined the whole week for us, and from what I heard it never got any better, we didn't go on the Tuesday brown bag tour because of all the heavy rain. lost that $150 bucks. Service was great by all of the Lippert guys. Yes we will go back and give it another try. I never ran out of beer but going to WalMart for ice was a pain
Walmart for ice was too far to drive, there is an ice machine right in the little ceasers parking lot. 2.25 for a 16 lb bag
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #26

Angry Goshen

Quote:
For a first timer not knowing what to expect, I was disappointed , the Sunday nite meal ruined the whole week for us, and from what I heard it never got any better, we didn't go on the Tuesday brown bag tour because of all the heavy rain. lost that $150 bucks. Service was great by all of the Lippert guys. Yes we will go back and give it another try. I never ran out of beer but going to WalMart for ice was a pain
I guess you didn't know that you could have gone to the Frog office and sold your Brown Bag tour tickets to someone. There were several people posting on our white board that they were interested in purchasing such tickets. Sorry you lost your money; better luck next year.
Juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #27

JuJu yes i knew I could have gone and sold the tickets on tuesday morning in the Pouring Rain, With the time difference for me it wasn't worth getting drowned for. oh and the taxies weren't running that time of day where i was and its over a half mile.it seemed, I walked it one day in pouring rain looking for a vendor. the service guys get a 10 plus but everything else maybe a five. the meals a 0. just my thoughts for a first timer, yes I was disappointed.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #28
Phat Phrog

It poured on Monday but didn't the sun come out on Tuesday? So many beers ago but I recall it being a beautiful day. Thank goodness because bison saliva in the rain would not have been my cup of T!

Phat Phrog Stunt Team
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #29
2020 Forester 2851SLE

OK, normally a very, very, upbeat and positive person so it pains me to kick sand in the eyes of some of the attendees - we had a very mixed experience on this our second Rally. The food was a failure from every vantage point this year. We were last in line on the first dinner and got little else but salad - an undressed salad at that. Second dinner was not a WOW dinner but rather disappointing in all respects. The third dinner was equally blah. We are not high brow snobs we are just comparing this year's food to last years and it was a miss at every meal. Changing food vendors was a GIANT mistake.
The FR service team on the other hand was more than up to the task so that aspect of the week went will - kudos to the teams.
Our site was not a very pleasant experience. We were crammed into a very tiny spot (we have a Sunseeker) and couldn't even extend our awning. There were far too many units stuffed into our area 'Rabbit'.
We met a lot of really nice folks and struck up great friendships so the social aspects met our expectations.
If we had to rate the whole experience it would likely be a 5 - some good, some bad.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post
Wine tasting party? Where was that? We didn't hear anything about a wine tasting party.

There was a goshen beer and wine tasting thread.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "25"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

There was a bulk ice machine 2 minutes from the fairgrounds

$2.25 for a 16 lb bag

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "25"
Old 08-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This was my third goshen rally, I wasn't impressed with the Sunday nights meal but I ate it.
The rest of the nights I smoked pork loin, pork ribs and finally a pork butt for supper so it was "no biggie"
Service was great when they finally showed up.
I have zero complaints!
"10"

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "25"
Old 08-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #33

Goshen

Quote:
JuJu yes i knew I could have gone and sold the tickets on tuesday morning in the Pouring Rain, With the time difference for me it wasn't worth getting drowned for. oh and the taxies weren't running that time of day where i was and its over a half mile.it seemed, I walked it one day in pouring rain looking for a vendor. the service guys get a 10 plus but everything else maybe a five. the meals a 0. just my thoughts for a first timer, yes I was disappointed.
This was our 5th rally, and we were also disappointed with the meals. With so many to feed, by the time we got back to our table, our food was cool, except for Friday dinner. That was hot and the best meal of the week. I believe next year will be better. Come back.
Juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:55 PM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This was our third Goshen rally. We came for '13, '14 and '16. I was skeptical in '13 (our first ever rally) but it turned out great. Between the three we met some good friends and even made a few great ones!
I was on the parking committee and saw some problems and heard about others but I prefer to think they got an 'orientation tour'. Lol
The food wasn't 5 star but neither am I. I have had better meals but I've made worse and I know my way around the kitchen. We did have most of our meals at our campsite but that was so we could spend time visiting more than it was the quality of the catered meals.
I thought the rain we got was something Frog Bob set up for us....a 'fresh water rinse' so to speak!!!
We did the bison tour which I found very interesting because I moved closer to hear our guide. Something RVChick refers to as acquiring more useless information!
Our service team is AMAZING but we do have an XLR! ROFL
All in all I give the rally an 11. There are always issues when you have a crowd of that size but kudos to Frog Bob and Mama Frog for organizing an event that really did, when you think about it, turn out pretty ok. It's the only time this year we were able to see some of you and that's what makes it better than a 10!
RVChick’s Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #35

This was our second GOSHEN Rally. We enjoyed our first Rally in 2014 and had a great time this year also, meeting new friends and seeing old ones. The Fairgrounds were impressive and well maintained. It was great walking around and seeing all of the displays and gardens. The Frog Volunteers that participated in everything Rally were great. Overall, it was a well put together Rally. There is always something to do and something for everyone. I didn't like seeing the various complaints about the food. There were so many other positive things to mention. Thanks to Bob and Cindy. And thanks for the rain that washed all the spit off the side of my rig from the Creekers!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471917487.711124.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	118166
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
I was very surprised by the efficiency of the parking team the first two years this year not so much. I was moved four times before they decided upon the right site. Each time I was told the same story you are too long for this site or area. I drive a 40 foot long 5th wheel and that is what the registration documents that I completed stated. Watching the parking there was much more confusion then in prior years. I had volunteered for the parking team but was not chosen. Bob did send an email to the chosen parking team folks but it would have been good form to also send a Thanks but No Thanks to the volunteers that were not chosen.

Hmmm. As one working on the parking team for a second year I would say this year was better than last year. We had great leadership and plans worked quite well. There are only so many spots for the team and we did have a good mix of returning members and some new. May I ask where the sites where and in the end did you get a better site? With Hobo style camping being parked as you arrive it might have been an end of line situation where your trailer does not fit.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #37
Broken Toe

Quote:

I truly feel sorry for you that one mediocre meal could ruin an entire week for you, considering all the other things available to see and do.

Tell you what... Next year, I'll buy you dinner at the Essenhouse. Maybe one enjoyable meal will let you have a good week.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 08-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

Tim
I did not attend so feel guilty for posting on this thread. I just had to...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:23 AM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The things I hated about Goshen

There were many things I hated about the Goshen Rally this year. I hated that I couldn't get there any earlier than I did, I saw this as missed time with friends. I hated that there were only 24 hrs in the day and at least a couple of those were spent sleeping and not spending time with said friends. I hated that, when I went to bed, my sides were hurting from all the laughter we shared each evening. I hated that I still managed to pack on a few pounds from our meals. I also hated that some of our friends couldn't make Goshen this year, but most of all I hated saying goodbye to some of the best friends I've ever had the pleasure of meeting!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:25 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Goshen Evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
There were many things I hated about the Goshen Rally this year. I hated that I couldn't get there any earlier than I did, I saw this as missed time with friends. I hated that there were only 24 hrs in the day and at least a couple of those were spent sleeping and not spending time with said friends. I hated that, when I went to bed, my sides were hurting from all the laughter we shared each evening. I hated that I still managed to pack on a few pounds from our meals. I also hated that some of our friends couldn't make Goshen this year, but most of all I hated saying goodbye to some of the best friends I've ever had the pleasure of meeting!

Complainer.
Your just bitching to bitch.
Get over yourself.
[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"