Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #101

Goshen Evaluation

I agree Chickie he had some good neighbors!! I for sure wasn't talking about you!! But even you have to agree there were some questions there?? Lol

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #102
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
I agree Chickie he had some good neighbors!! I for sure wasn't talking about you!! But even you have to agree there were some questions there??

Russell
You must be talking about Donald. You never can tell with them funny talking Scottish Canadians.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #103

Evaluation of Goshen 2016

I've heard that there were over 800 plus rigs at this Goshen Rally, 2016, and my husband and I were fortunate to be one of them.
I believe that everyone had at least water and electric....and Forest River
paid for one "free" dumping mid week....Can't get any better than that!!
unless you were one of the 200 that lucked out in the draw (?)with FHU...we were ALL taken care of.

Forest River hired (I'm assuming) extra service people to attend to each and every unit that was brought into that fairground !!!! all of us that were fortunate to get our appliaction in early...got a service contract too.
We also(first three days,once registration was posted) filled out a service contract that we could list three things that needed attention..repaired
fixed or replaced.

The SERVICE DEPARTMENTS need to be recognized !!...in all the different plant manufacturers.... These people started way before the rally even started.
I saw some as early as 7:30am and as late as 5:30pm.....nothing stopped them,
not even the hard pouring rainny days.....they were there!!

The service building for sign up confirmation was handled very efficeintly...,
They had a greeter at the entrance directing each person to the appropriate station...which kept us moving.
I also commend the people behind those desks taking down everyone's information and working those long hours trying to meet everyones needs.

Parking was very well organized also....I didn't see the entrance getting all "bottled neck" when rigs were coming in randomly at all different times throughout the day.

Lastly, I want to thank Bob and Cindy Byrnes for orchestrating, along with Forest River a VERY well run Rally....with the amount of rigs and people coming in..
it was successful!

I think only as suggestions for the future ....I was expecting MORE vendors...
Especially relating to travel....motor homes, 5th wheels, travel trailers, R-pods and anything to do along or about these lines.
I was surprised to see a booth selling anti-wrinkle cream...???? and that has to do with what at a Forest River Rally??

Some of the seminars were only offered ONCE through-out the whole week.
If you planned to go on a tour, and it was that day...you missed out....
Suggestion....for the more popular programs..might offer two alternatives.

To my knowledge NO other company offers a service contract once a year to take
care of any issues on our rigs.
For my husband and I...this was by far, above and beyond any expectations that we, as Forest River owners should see.....and not the little things that are incidental.

Now, for the caterers and food....I'll leave that up to other people and their opinions..
I wanted to touch on the GREAT things that was MOST important to us!!

Thank you Forest River....I will always buy a Forest River.....you've got the
Best all around emplyees.
Palmtreepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #104

A 7 to be honest.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtreepat View Post
I've heard that there were over 800 plus rigs at this Goshen Rally, 2016, and my husband and I were fortunate to be one of them.
I believe that everyone had at least water and electric....and Forest River
paid for one "free" dumping mid week....Can't get any better than that!!
unless you were one of the 200 that lucked out in the draw (?)with FHU...we were ALL taken care of.

Forest River hired (I'm assuming) extra service people to attend to each and every unit that was brought into that fairground !!!! all of us that were fortunate to get our appliaction in early...got a service contract too.
We also(first three days,once registration was posted) filled out a service contract that we could list three things that needed attention..repaired
fixed or replaced.

The SERVICE DEPARTMENTS need to be recognized !!...in all the different plant manufacturers.... These people started way before the rally even started.
I saw some as early as 7:30am and as late as 5:30pm.....nothing stopped them,
not even the hard pouring rainny days.....they were there!!

The service building for sign up confirmation was handled very efficeintly...,
They had a greeter at the entrance directing each person to the appropriate station...which kept us moving.
I also commend the people behind those desks taking down everyone's information and working those long hours trying to meet everyones needs.

Parking was very well organized also....I didn't see the entrance getting all "bottled neck" when rigs were coming in randomly at all different times throughout the day.

Lastly, I want to thank Bob and Cindy Byrnes for orchestrating, along with Forest River a VERY well run Rally....with the amount of rigs and people coming in..
it was successful!

I think only as suggestions for the future ....I was expecting MORE vendors...
Especially relating to travel....motor homes, 5th wheels, travel trailers, R-pods and anything to do along or about these lines.
I was surprised to see a booth selling anti-wrinkle cream...???? and that has to do with what at a Forest River Rally??

Some of the seminars were only offered ONCE through-out the whole week.
If you planned to go on a tour, and it was that day...you missed out....
Suggestion....for the more popular programs..might offer two alternatives.

To my knowledge NO other company offers a service contract once a year to take
care of any issues on our rigs.
For my husband and I...this was by far, above and beyond any expectations that we, as Forest River owners should see.....and not the little things that are incidental.

Now, for the caterers and food....I'll leave that up to other people and their opinions..
I wanted to touch on the GREAT things that was MOST important to us!!

Thank you Forest River....I will always buy a Forest River.....you've got the
Best all around emplyees.
So you DIDN'T meet DBLR?????

(amen to the rest)

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:56 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
So you DIDN'T meet DBLR?????

(amen to the rest)
Why do I feel like I just got thrown under a camper
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Well, Birdman was my neighbor, and I never had a better one. I don't know if HE thinks the same!!! But I sure do.
You were a very good neighbor but next time one of us needs to remember the fishing polls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
Is Birdman the guy who brought the beautiful bird?
No I did not bring a bird.
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #108

We were first time attendees at the 2016 Goshen Rally and the word I would use to sum it all up is CHOICES.
We all chose to be there. We chose to eat the food (or not). We chose which tours/seminars to attend. We chose which vendor to visit.
BUT........ some at the rally had NO CHOICE but to be there. I am talking about the service team. The Forest River service team was working, and working tirelessly and diligently! In the pouring rain, and it the hot sun..... and NOT ONE of them complained or even grimaced when they were being bombarded by 2-3 owners at a time all asking for "when" or "could you possibly". The Forest River workers; from service registration, to service mangers, to service technicians are ALL professional and dedicated to their jobs and to the FR owners. Forest River cares about it's owners and they CHOOSE it to be that way!
I think we, as rally attendees should always make every effort to make things go as smoothly as possible for all members of the service team. I think all like RV models should always be parked together at the rally to avoid service teams spending time "searching" for the next scheduled repair. Parking all like units together would also allow the service team to park 1 central "parts trailer" in the area to avoid spending time driving all over the place for parts.
Every effort possible should be made to make the "rally work place" as pleasant and easy as possible for all members of the service team!
I know it has been stated that "parking all like units together drives a wedge between the different RV unit owners". I, personally, don't think this is true. I enjoy meeting all owners of Forest River RVs, no matter which unit they own. I also enjoy meeting other owners of the same Motorhome that we own to enable knowledge sharing, problem solving, and model specific modifications. (And parking all of us together also makes for some really great pictures!!).
I would also like to thank and commend all of the Goshen Rally volunteers! You all did an awesome job of helping to make our rally time fun and organized!
To Bob and Cindy I would like to say a big THANK YOU for all you do for us!
To the veteran Forest River owners/rally attendees: Thank you for making us "new kids" feel so welcome! We look forward to Goshen 2017!!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:36 PM   #109

Nicely put.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:13 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Why do I feel like I just got thrown under a camper
Or a bus? Or a Berkshire? Or a Berkshire Bus Camper?

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman77 View Post
You were a very good neighbor but next time one of us needs to remember the fishing polls

No I did not bring a bird.
Actually, I have a fishing rod holder to mount on the upper rails in the basement for overhead storage. I was going to install them, but waiting on service work and extreme laziness prohibited that.

Next year, I'll bring the poles. You bring the bait.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #112
Georgia Gets Around

First Timers 2016

We were first timers this year. We were so grateful to get our issues addressed with our Georgetown XL 369 we would have considered the money well spent just for that!! Our dealer is nice but not easy to work with so we appreciated the service techs and their diligence so much! Forest River has been good to us and we want to acknowledge that first of all.

I would love a different food option as well. Or at least a no breakfast option. ;-) It was disconcerting to see last nights leftovers reappear in the morning's breakfast. With so many fabulous bakeries in the area, I would have been happier with a donut or cinnamon roll and coffee. The pastries provided were pretty bad. The lack of AC in the big hall made us uncomfortable but we survived. We met some great new friends at the dinners so I would hate to give up the entire experience.

We didn't make it to near as many seminars as I had hoped due to service happening at the rig off and on. But the one on electrical systems was great albeit geared towards trailers and fifth wheels. I even won a great door prize there! The one on internet safety was awesome and gave us much to think about. I would love to see seminars on actual rigs. How to troubleshoot problems with my motorhome on the road kind of thing. How to work your slide when it quits on you, how to maintain your battery systems, how to get a satellite installed in your rig. Maybe an "expert" user for each brand can give a talk and some insider tips - I would mow people down to go to something like that.

We didn't go to any tours except the factory tour for Berkshire. It was fascinating and helped me understand my MH so much better!! I was amazed at the access we were given and really impressed. I had to laugh though. Our friends went to a fifth wheel tour and got crack donuts and water. We went to the the top of the FR line and got zip. ;-) They even received free Forest River gear from their service techs. I guess with that many people it is alawys going to be an uneven experience. I would have loved a 2016 rally t shirt and would have paid for one. I am prouder of attending the rally than just being an owner. Maybe next year!

Parking was great except we were being parked tighter than necessary and couldn't put up our awning until the rig next to ours moved over after a day. Cars were also sticking out every which way. More space needed I think.

Kudos to everyone involved for making it work! We plan to come back again. ;-)
Old 08-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
I think we, as rally attendees should always make every effort to make things go as smoothly as possible for all members of the service team. I think all like RV models should always be parked together at the rally to avoid service teams spending time "searching" for the next scheduled repair. Parking all like units together would also allow the service team to park 1 central "parts trailer" in the area to avoid spending time driving all over the place for parts.
Every effort possible should be made to make the "rally work place" as pleasant and easy as possible for all members of the service team!

I know it has been stated that "parking all like units together drives a wedge between the different RV unit owners". I, personally, don't think this is true. I enjoy meeting all owners of Forest River RVs, no matter which unit they own. I also enjoy meeting other owners of the same Motorhome that we own to enable knowledge sharing, problem solving, and model specific modifications. (And parking all of us together also makes for some really great pictures!!).
I would also like to thank and commend all of the Goshen Rally volunteers! You all did an awesome job of helping to make our rally time fun and organized!
To Bob and Cindy I would like to say a big THANK YOU for all you do for us!
To the veteran Forest River owners/rally attendees: Thank you for making us "new kids" feel so welcome! We look forward to Goshen 2017!!
Rick and Karen,

There is a lot of truth in the notion that parking all brands together would make it significantly easier on the techs. However, Pete Liegl, the CEO of Forest River, has specifically said that he doesn't want each brand parked together. You hit on one reason...that it could foster a bit of elitism. More importantly, I think, is a belief that if I'm parked with my Micro-Lite trailer next to your Georgetown, and I get to know you, see your coach, and like it, that I might just decide that maybe my next one ought to be a bigger unit...maybe not in the next year or two, but someday....someday.....

It also conveys the message that we're all customers of Forest River, regardless of what we own.

that said, several "clubs" pre-date FROG, and in some cases, pre-date the acquisition of entire manufacturers by Forest River. Cardinal and Cedar Creek are examples of that, and they were sort of "grandfathered" and allowed to park together.

Leo, the factory service reps, and all of the techs do a fantastic job under some tough conditions. this year, the rain made the conditions even worse for many of them. But, my guess is, as long as Pete remains at the helm of FR, things are going to remain pretty much status quo.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:49 PM   #114
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Rick and Karen,

There is a lot of truth in the notion that parking all brands together would make it significantly easier on the techs. However, Pete Liegl, the CEO of Forest River, has specifically said that he doesn't want each brand parked together. You hit on one reason...that it could foster a bit of elitism. More importantly, I think, is a belief that if I'm parked with my Micro-Lite trailer next to your Georgetown, and I get to know you, see your coach, and like it, that I might just decide that maybe my next one ought to be a bigger unit...maybe not in the next year or two, but someday....someday.....

It also conveys the message that we're all customers of Forest River, regardless of what we own.

that said, several "clubs" pre-date FROG, and in some cases, pre-date the acquisition of entire manufacturers by Forest River. Cardinal and Cedar Creek are examples of that, and they were sort of "grandfathered" and allowed to park together.

Leo, the factory service reps, and all of the techs do a fantastic job under some tough conditions. this year, the rain made the conditions even worse for many of them. But, my guess is, as long as Pete remains at the helm of FR, things are going to remain pretty much status quo.

Well said Cap! I can only imagine there are 3 or 4 Berkshire owners that looked at my Roo and thought... "Now THATS the way to go".

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #115

Does anyone know how they managed to get so many rpods, Cardinals and Columbus's all parked together?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #116
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
Does anyone know how they managed to get so many rpods, Cardinals and Columbus's all parked together?
There are a few clubs or groups that they park together you mentioned them plus the Cedar Creeks. Because they are a group or club they try to keep us together.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:57 AM   #117
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
Very carefully... My wife and I were "newbie" members of the parking team that handled the Cardinals and R-Pods.

Those two groups areas were predefined on the parking layout. If they were members of one of the "clubs", and wished to be parked in their "club" area, they were in the tally for that specific area. I know there were Cardinals and R-Pods who were not "club" members that were parked in other areas. There were a couple of very nice Cardinals just up the street from us on Maple.

Also the physical size of the site, and how it can accessed, limits what can be parked where. A Berkshire isn't going to fit very well in this years R-Pod "club" area spaces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
However, Pete Liegl, the CEO of Forest River, has specifically said that he doesn't want each brand parked together. You hit on one reason...that it could foster a bit of elitism.
I think the "club" parking defeats Pete's desire to spread out the brands. As for brand elitism that was obvious in a few cases... Their loss is my gain...

IMHO "Club" parking appeared to unfairly guarantee some brands full hook ups due to the "clubs" location. If it is not already being done rotating the location of the "clubs" to areas without full hook ups would go along way in making the "lottery" system more fair for all involved.

Overall I thought parking worked out very well. It was a lot of fun for my wife and I being on the parking crew. I encourage everyone to consider giving it a try and if your schedule allows you to do so...
Old 08-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #118

"However, Pete Liegl, the CEO of Forest River, has specifically said that he doesn't want each brand parked together. You hit on one reason...that it could foster a bit of elitism."

Hi Capt. Mike,
I can understand the CEO of Forest River wanting to make sales through this rally, but I think the idea of "fostering a bit of elitism" NEVER came from Pete Liegl. I think that notion was started somewhere else, by someone else. I, for one, would like to see this type of thinking stop.
Every RVer chooses their type of RV for a reason. I don't think it has anything to do with wanting to be "elite". Yes, Cowracer is right. We, as Berkshire owners, have looked at the R-pod and said "now, that's the way to go" but considering other variables (tow vehicle, space for guests, set-up procedure, etc.) the R-pod won't work for us. We have toured some of the 5th wheels and thought "OMG! This is beautiful" but then we look at the variables (cost of tow vehicle, whether or not we have the skill to drive/back up a sizable 5th wheel, etc) and figure out that a 5th wheel unit won't work for us. We have owned a TT in the past, and loved it. But again, variables considered (size of tow vehicle, set up procedure, etc) we decided changing our RV to a diesel Motorhome suited our needs and situation better. Health issues, specifically, were a big determining factor in our decision to switch to a Motorhome. Would we prefer to have the age and health that allowed for an R-pod? YES! But that isn't the way things worked out. It has NOTHING to do with "elitism", it has to do with NECESSITY and circumstances in our life.
So I would hope all of this talk of "elitism" or wondering "who got what site and why" would be discontinued. I would much prefer to say we had a great time at the rally and we look forward to next year's rally. No matter where we park or what hook-ups we end up with. And yes, I look forward to meeting other RVers...... no matter what unit they choose or why they chose it!
Life in today's world is rough and RVing is our salvation! I, personally, won't let prejudice and negativity ruin my RV time!
Yes, we own a Berkshire Motorhome. Stop by anytime and say hello. We can talk about the joys of RVing!!!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #119
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Very carefully... My wife and I were "newbie" members of the parking team that handled the Cardinals and R-Pods.

Those two groups areas were predefined on the parking layout. If they were members of one of the "clubs", and wished to be parked in their "club" area, they were in the tally for that specific area. I know there were Cardinals and R-Pods who were not "club" members that were parked in other areas. There were a couple of very nice Cardinals just up the street from us on Maple.

Also the physical size of the site, and how it can accessed, limits what can be parked where. A Berkshire isn't going to fit very well in this years R-Pod "club" area spaces...

I think the "club" parking defeats Pete's desire to spread out the brands. As for brand elitism that was obvious in a few cases... Their loss is my gain...

IMHO "Club" parking appeared to unfairly guarantee some brands full hook ups due to the "clubs" location. If it is not already being done rotating the location of the "clubs" to areas without full hook ups would go along way in making the "lottery" system more fair for all involved.

Overall I thought parking worked out very well. It was a lot of fun for my wife and I being on the parking crew. I encourage everyone to consider giving it a try and if your schedule allows you to do so...

Columbus group with 60 + rigs did not have full hookup or 50 amp.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #120
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I don't think a good many of the Cedar Creeks had FHU either. I think there is only a limited number in the infield.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote