Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #1

Thumbs up Lippert saved me at the Goshen FROG Rally

I had a great time at the Goshen FROG Rally and wanted to share one of my experiences. FR replaced all my hydraulic hoses due to the orange hoses blistering. After installation the slides and stabilizers where moved in and out and up and down to remove air from the system. When the techs where satisfied that the system was clear of air they left for their next job. I was having trouble leveling the MH (later to find out 2 hoses were swapped so it couldn't level). The slides were out so I put them in to try to level with them in, since I had never leveled with them out, I thought that may have been the problem. This would be the exact time the hydraulic pump motor breathed its last. So now I am stuck with all slides in and the MH is not level. I flagged down a FR employee who got a Georgetown rep to stop by. He called the Lippert Rep and she went to work immediately to diagnose the problem: motor failure. She then worked on getting my slides out, neither of us had a drill to manually extend slides. She then tracked down a Lippert tech who had been onsite since 7:00 am and this was after 4:30 pm. He went to work immediately and extended all 3 slides. He then told me he would round up the parts and replace the motor in the morning. At 7:30 am he was back at our MH parts in hand. He not only replaced the motor, he also replaced the wiring harness and the control unit! After installing the new parts he tested everything and found the 2 hoses had been swapped. He then re-calibrated level and made sure everything was in perfect working condition!

What a excellent job of customer service by Forest River, Georgetown and especially Lippert!

Lippert will be one of my preferred companies from now on!

Thanks Again Lippert!!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #2

That's good to hear. Glad they fixed it like it should have been. One of these days I hope to make a Rally.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #3

Why is I hear all these stories of outstanding service and helpfulness from from vendors at events like Goshen but when the rest of us have to go to a dealer for help it's often a completely different story?
Old 08-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
Why is I hear all these stories of outstanding service and helpfulness from from vendors at events like Goshen but when the rest of us have to go to a dealer for help it's often a completely different story?
Amen. While, I am glad that some people are afforded this opportunity, I feel like most of the issues should be unnecessary in the first place. The following was my final response about the rally on my truck site.
"
I guess I am saying I don't want to have to drive 1,200 miles to have something fixed. I would prefer to use my free time (which is really most of it) on things I want to do in places I want to do them. I would prefer to have my RV (and truck for that matter) worked on in my own timeframe and preferred location. I would prefer that both the RV dealers and Auto/truck dealerships would be better suited to solve problems locally for their customers. And in the RV case, I would prefer that they had MUCH better quality control across the board. I think the automotive industry is head and shoulders above the RV industry in that category. Both of them could still improve."

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
The factories in the Godhen-Elkhart area are able to keep the employees longer and its apparrent that training of employees is key here also. I'd rather try to fix it myself rather that use most dealers. They see so many different brands & RV types, coupled with lack of brand specific training, they only guess at each fix! Sometimes they do, but mostly they fail to have any success with most things that need fixing. Besides, we are all made of money, otherwise we would not own an RV in the first place (ha ha)

Travel safe & enjoy the journey!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

Did I miss something, theses guy's came in and changed the hoses and did it wrong and this was a great. Just shows how come we have so many issues with our trailers to me.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #7

Just a quick note to say that Lippert also saved me some future problems with the slide on my TT. I asked if someone could fix the squeak that the slide out made when coming out. It turned out that the slide was off center and could not be adjusted. Lippert had to manufacture some new braces and replace one of the gears underneath. It took about 5 hours for the work to be done. In addition, Forest River gave me a new rim to replace one that was damaged from a flat tire. I definitely plan on going back next year. The rally was a lot of fun also. Thanks Forest River for a job well done!
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
... They see so many different brands & RV types, coupled with lack of brand specific training, they only guess at each fix! Sometimes they do, but mostly they fail to have any success with most things that need fixing.
I'm not really sure what you mean by the brand specific part. All the major components used by the majority of RV manufacturers (FR, Keystone, Jayco, Dutchmen, etc.) are made by a very few component manufacturers. I could be wrong but I suspect that, except for leaks (i.e. brand-specific structural issues), those components likely account for the majority of RV repairs.

The RV industry model is not like the automotive industry (although dealers will always sell what they can make the most profit from). The RV industry as a whole could do a lot better job of training RV Technicians. That's where the RVIA and RVDA come in. Each component manufacturer should offer training on their systems through RVIA and RVDA at minimal expense to the dealers in order to encourage dealers to have better training for their techs. Dealers will almost certainly not be equipped to handle major structural repairs but they should be equipped to handle repairs to almost any component/system.

The RVIA and RVDA should spend a lot more money on their tech training programs than they do on their marketing campaigns. After all that, it's up to the manufacturers to invest in QA/QC programs and us as consumers to not give our business to dealers who give poor after-sales service.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Did I miss something, theses guy's came in and changed the hoses and did it wrong and this was a great. Just shows how come we have so many issues with our trailers to me.
Don't know whether to or about this, but you are right.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
The factories in the Godhen-Elkhart area are able to keep the employees longer and its apparrent that training of employees is key here also. I'd rather try to fix it myself rather that use most dealers. They see so many different brands & RV types, coupled with lack of brand specific training, they only guess at each fix! Sometimes they do, but mostly they fail to have any success with most things that need fixing. Besides, we are all made of money, otherwise we would not own an RV in the first place (ha ha)

Travel safe & enjoy the journey!
</madeomoney>
I cannot see how it is apparent that they are training their employees to do the best job possible or that those employees staying for a long time has improved the quality of RVs in general.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #11

I have had many issues with my mh, but the service at my dealer, Mike Thompson in Colton, California has always taken care of everything. While under warranty, FR covered everything, and since then the extended warranty covered everything except excluded items. I have had the same service writer and tech since I bought the unit.

I have had many units of different makes and all of them have the same kinds of problems. RVs are like a house that goes through a major earthquake every time it moves. All the problems we experience with RVs are no fun, but relax and enjoy the ride.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Amen. While, I am glad that some people are afforded this opportunity, I feel like most of the issues should be unnecessary in the first place. The following was my final response about the rally on my truck site.
"
I guess I am saying I don't want to have to drive 1,200 miles to have something fixed. I would prefer to use my free time (which is really most of it) on things I want to do in places I want to do them. I would prefer to have my RV (and truck for that matter) worked on in my own timeframe and preferred location. I would prefer that both the RV dealers and Auto/truck dealerships would be better suited to solve problems locally for their customers. And in the RV case, I would prefer that they had MUCH better quality control across the board. I think the automotive industry is head and shoulders above the RV industry in that category. Both of them could still improve."

Hey maxi I see you are here too. Too bad you don't live closer so, it would be easier for you to attend the Goshen rally. I think you be impressed with the rally. Wayne on F-150 ecoboost forum.
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #13

Yeah if it had been earlier in the summer, I might have been able to talk the wife into stopping in. We did the U.P. for two + weeks and had a blast. I can't see us sitting in Goshen long enough for any maintenance to get done, though.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #14

WOW!

I came to Goshen to have fun and meet my friends.
I did tell Lippert I had a slight leak at my hydraulic pump and the Ron came out and said yes you have a leak but we don't do repair on the hydraulic system.
Next thing I know he removed my systems and installed a new one.
This is $2,000 retail, plus tax, plus shipping, plus installation costs.... I figure it was worth to me $2,800.
Read my lips. Thank you Lippert for MY Christmas present in August.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0404.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	86017  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I came to Goshen to have fun and meet my friends.
I did tell Lippert I had a slight leak at my hydraulic pump and the Ron came out and said yes you have a leak but we don't do repair on the hydraulic system.
Next thing I know he removed my systems and installed a new one.
This is $2,000 retail, plus tax, plus shipping, plus installation costs.... I figure it was worth to me $2,800.
Read my lips. Thank you Lippert for MY Christmas present in August.
Are you saying it cost you $2,800 to drive from Arizona to Goshen for a $2,000 repair job?
Old 08-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #16

Maxi, Do you ever see the bright side of things?
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #17

Ha! Of course I do, but I am also a realist. So, if one choice is to pay more for repairs by making that long drive. The second option is just getting it fixed locally and spending the extra cash camping in these amazing mountains? You can bet where I'll be.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
I had a great time at the Goshen FROG Rally and wanted to share one of my experiences. FR replaced all my hydraulic hoses due to the orange hoses blistering. After installation the slides and stabilizers where moved in and out and up and down to remove air from the system. When the techs where satisfied that the system was clear of air they left for their next job. I was having trouble leveling the MH (later to find out 2 hoses were swapped so it couldn't level). The slides were out so I put them in to try to level with them in, since I had never leveled with them out, I thought that may have been the problem. This would be the exact time the hydraulic pump motor breathed its last. So now I am stuck with all slides in and the MH is not level. I flagged down a FR employee who got a Georgetown rep to stop by. He called the Lippert Rep and she went to work immediately to diagnose the problem: motor failure. She then worked on getting my slides out, neither of us had a drill to manually extend slides. She then tracked down a Lippert tech who had been onsite since 7:00 am and this was after 4:30 pm. He went to work immediately and extended all 3 slides. He then told me he would round up the parts and replace the motor in the morning. At 7:30 am he was back at our MH parts in hand. He not only replaced the motor, he also replaced the wiring harness and the control unit! After installing the new parts he tested everything and found the 2 hoses had been swapped. He then re-calibrated level and made sure everything was in perfect working condition!

What a excellent job of customer service by Forest River, Georgetown and especially Lippert!

Lippert will be one of my preferred companies from now on!

Thanks Again Lippert!!
we were the gtown next to the sunseeker behind you'll
grad you made it home safe hope 2 c u again next year
brian n ellie
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Are you saying it cost you $2,800 to drive from Arizona to Goshen for a $2,000 repair job?
No I was on vacation seeing family and friends and Lippert gave me a $2,800 free gift. Yes, you should look at the bright side more often madmaxmutt.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
No I was on vacation seeing family and friends and Lippert gave me a $2,800 free gift. Yes, you should look at the bright side more often madmaxmutt.
I was merely reading what you wrote and trying to figure out what it meant. Don't believe that you know what I look at from what is written on an internet forum.

Tags
frog