Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: If interested in a NC Rally which would you prefer?
Spring in the mountains 28 62.22%
Summer in the mountains 10 22.22%
Spring in the Raleigh-Durham area 4 8.89%
Summer in the Raleigh-Durham area 0 0%
Summer at the beach 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #61

Mayberry Campground is a good campground with the owner being very friendly & helpful. They have numerous Good Sam Rallies there so the are used to dealing with groups. His daughters work at the campground.

The owner is a relation of (GG Grandson of Eng) Eng and Chang Bunker famous Siamese twins who are buried at the church next to the campground. He on occasion will give a tour of the farm house that was built by a son of Eng, and Eng & Chang visited. The land is on a family farm. Few trees

The Depot Restaurant in Dobson near Mt Airy is very good, Mt Airy, shows & a small museum at the Andy Griffith Playhouse is very nice, can always go for a squad car ride / tour in a vintage Ford Police car like on the show. Pilot Mountain (Mount Pilot) is nice park good hiking is near by.

WDBJ7 Roanoke plays The Andy Griffith Show every night at 5:30 PM

Hopefully will be able to attend.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Mayberry Campground is a good campground with the owner being very friendly & helpful. They have numerous Good Sam Rallies there so the are used to dealing with groups. His daughters work at the campground.

The owner is a relation of (GG Grandson of Eng) Eng and Chang Bunker famous Siamese twins who are buried at the church next to the campground. He on occasion will give a tour of the farm house that was built by a son of Eng, and Eng & Chang visited. The land is on a family farm. Few trees

The Depot Restaurant in Dobson near Mt Airy is very good, Mt Airy, shows & a small museum at the Andy Griffith Playhouse is very nice, can always go for a squad car ride / tour in a vintage Ford Police car like on the show. Pilot Mountain (Mount Pilot) is nice park good hiking is near by.

WDBJ7 Roanoke plays The Andy Griffith Show every night at 5:30 PM

Hopefully will be able to attend.

Some good info there. I actually have not camped in Mt Airy before so I am glad to hear the good reports of this compound from a couple of members. I will try to have some area information available when people arrive.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:12 AM   #63

Mayberry opened less than 10 years ago & does have a few minor growing pains. All sites are 3 way hook ups with may having 2 sewer inlets / one near the rear and one mid areas of the camper on the longer sites. 2 ponds both catch & release. Roads are crushed granite. Huge granite quarry near by. We did not get to go last year so can't speak to any changes / improvements. Benny (Owner) has been growing each year. The bath house is very small unless he has built another. Do have 3 metal shelters one fairly large. The bad is they are just off of I74 and some sites get some road noise but if ACs are on I do not hear it. Some playground equipment for kids.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #64
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
When he gets back from Alaska we are putting in 6 sites to include electric water and sewer. I have been talking to Frankie while he has been gone....
Why wait do it now before he returns surprise surprise Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #65
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Thursday to Monday, the roads will be busy on Friday of that week end. Thanks will be waiting for your next post on it....but could be as busy on Monday, but that would give some an option to leave Tuesday if they want to miss the traffic that week end. You did good....
X 3 Yes Monday is not good for travel but we will just spend an extra day and leave on Tues. Will be waiting on up coming info for cg so we can get resv in early. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #66

headed down to mayberry in a few weeks ill give feed back when i get there
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #67
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Oh lord.....com'on white dog....another road trip.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:01 PM   #68

Looks like if we make it we will do Fri- Monday as the wife is still working.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Oh lord.....com'on white dog....another road trip.
Hay OC WEST, you don't want to miss this one, you passed through that pretty country on the way home. If I may suggest that you and the white dog start planning your route now. I know that OLD DODGE has one more trip in her...... only about 100 miles from your counterpart OC EAST. Got a new welder for my birthday so I just might weld that pin to your hitch keep them as a pair...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #70
Left Coast

Quote:
Hay OC WEST, you don't want to miss this one, you passed through that pretty country on the way home. If I may suggest that you and the white dog start planning your route now. I know that OLD DODGE has one more trip in her...... only about 100 miles from your counterpart OC EAST. Got a new welder for my birthday so I just might weld that pin to your hitch keep them as a pair...
Re-think'n road trip...how close to airport? and could rent-a wreck to git around.linda
Old 09-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #71

Count me in! Shelton Vineyards is awesome, Wheels through Time in Maggie Valley is also great, Pilot Mtn, Mt. Airy, Meadows of Dan (VA), Jordan or Falls Lake near Raleigh/Durham, ANYTHING! Let's Go!
catseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #72

For those who may want to attend and either get there early or stay longer to explore more, Passport America is accepted at Mayberry CG Monday thru Thursday (of course this wouldn't include Monday Memorial Day or any of the Rally days). This years PA rate is $16.75/nite. Although Passports website says credit cards accepted, they requested cash for the PA rate stay. We stopped there in August on the way to Goshen & want to go back to explore more.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Re-think'n road trip...how close to airport? and could rent-a wreck to git around.linda
The 3 airports I would list are:
Greensboro, NC about an hour to an hour and a half away. Downside, it is smaller so more expensive to fly in and out of.
Raleigh about 2.5-3 hrs away
Charlotte 1.5-2 hrs away.

There is a cruise america in Charlotte, Greensboro and Durham. Or talk OC into renting you his rig.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #74
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
The 3 airports I would list are:
Greensboro, NC about an hour to an hour and a half away. Downside, it is smaller so more expensive to fly in and out of.
Raleigh about 2.5-3 hrs away
Charlotte 1.5-2 hrs away.

There is a cruise america in Charlotte, Greensboro and Durham. Or talk OC into renting you his rig.
In order to rent that, I'd have to also rent the wrecker he's work'n on up north....park models are heavy, and the mobile-home axles/wheels are a 1 time use......good thought though! ps...I'll ask him Friday night.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

I have everything booked and will be getting it on-line tonight so you can start calling to book tomorrow. Give me just a bit to get everything typed up into a new thread.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Ok for those of you looking to know what the plan is..... It will be in Mt Airy,NC memorial day weekend. I still have to finalize everything with them in terms of blocking sites so please do NOT call yet. I have to wait for the girl that handles these things to come back to finish the set up. Does everyone prefer Thursday to Monday or Friday to Tuesday? I will start a new thread when I open this up for booking your sites. Please be watching for that thread. I will post it here and then link this thread to that one with a closing post.
Wish I could make it, but Memorial Day is a day most of us Vets are involved with ceremonies at home or in DC. Any other time, I could make it and look forward to the next one, but it's a day I need to be with my combat Vet brothers to honor the ones that didn't make it home.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote