Old 04-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
If you want to make a couple stops on your way to Natchez I recommend a COE campground called "Service" with an address of Silas, AL, right on the Tombigbee River with barge traffic, actually only 3 miles west of Coffeeville, AL, a very well kept campground with a number of pull-thru's right on the riverbank. One of my favorite campgrounds (will be there in a couple weeks). For a camp site near Natchez I recommend "Riverview RV park and Resort" just across the river from Natchez in Vidalia, LA, right on the Mississippi riverbank, use Passport for a discount. When you leave Alexander City go down to Montgomery and head west to Selma then head south to Grove Hill, AL and pickup US84 west and stop at "Service" COE about 20 miles west of Grove Hill. US84 is 2 lane for about 45 miles until you hit the Mississippi state line and from then on it is 4 lane all the way across the state to Natchez, not much traffic.
Thanks for the heads up on those CGs. It is always nice to get a review of a CG from someone that has been there. We have a book with all the COE parks listed. It is called "Camping with the Corp of Engineers" By Don Wright. We have the 9th edition and the 10th edition but IMO the 9th edition is a little more user friendly than the 10th edition. I just bought a copy of it to give to my step-dad to use when he camps in his new truck camper. The cheapest price I have found for it was on ebay for $7.73. The prices on Amazon were $40-$100 for the same exact book!
Most of the entries for the campgrounds give the "RV Maximum Length" info and a list of amenities.
Karen

RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #342

I like the COE campgrounds mainly because I'm cheap and don't like to be parked within 5' of my neighbor. I have an "America the Beautiful" lifetime pass that give me a 50% discount. I like Gunter Hill COE just west of Montgomery AL, if you go there get a site in the Catoma Loop which is all FHU, concrete pads and asphalt roads, ($13) kind of rare for a COE campground, the other loop is older has just water and electric, gravel pads and gravel roads. Naturally the Catoma loop fills up fast and hard to get into on a weekend because of all the locals. Another COE I like is Sandy Creek about 10 miles west of Jasper, TX on a huge beautiful lake and just $9 a night. Service was $12. I will be at McKinney Campground on Lake Alatoona just north of Atlanta in another week, again my favorite of the 7 COE campgrounds around the lake and it was $15 lakeside. I've actually only camped at two of them but checked the others out.

Camped 2016 - 58 done - 13 more planned so far
2017 - 14 nights reserved
BooBoo23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
The BOSS told me that she may have plans to attend a wedding in Tupelo on Saturday of the rally. If that is the case, me might miss this year. I won't let her drive that far by herself. Too far off yet to argue about it. We'll figure it out as it gets closer.
Well darn! It's always something!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #344

Quote:
Bob, I see your signature says "waiting for our Berkshire". Did you get it ordered the way you want it? What's the delivery date?
Marv
KT4W
Still waiting to order Marv...it is the change over to the new model year and there is a lot of confusion out there (which is NOT helping our stress levels much!)
Old 04-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #345

Quote:
I like the COE campgrounds mainly because I'm cheap and don't like to be parked within 5' of my neighbor. I have an "America the Beautiful" lifetime pass that give me a 50% discount. I like Gunter Hill COE just west of Montgomery AL, if you go there get a site in the Catoma Loop which is all FHU, concrete pads and asphalt roads, ($13) kind of rare for a COE campground, the other loop is older has just water and electric, gravel pads and gravel roads. Naturally the Catoma loop fills up fast and hard to get into on a weekend because of all the locals. Another COE I like is Sandy Creek about 10 miles west of Jasper, TX on a huge beautiful lake and just $9 a night. Service was $12. I will be at McKinney Campground on Lake Alatoona just north of Atlanta in another week, again my favorite of the 7 COE campgrounds around the lake and it was $15 lakeside. I've actually only camped at two of them but checked the others out.
Thank you for the info on those parks. I looked up each of the parks you mentioned and I wrote your hints next to each park name. That sure does make it easier when trying to select a park from just a written description.
Karen
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Still waiting to order Marv...it is the change over to the new model year and there is a lot of confusion out there (which is NOT helping our stress levels much!)
Looks like there may be a cancellation for Mayberry or will you hitch a ride with Dennis?
Old 04-10-2016, 01:43 PM   #347

Quote:
Looks like there may be a cancellation for Mayberry or will you hitch a ride with Dennis?
*Sigh* I have already taken care of that issue - we cancelled

We were thinking of renting a Roo from the Army MWR but it turns out those suckers are HEAVY - way too much for the Jeep to tow
Old 04-10-2016, 02:32 PM   #348

Quote:
Well there is still Goshen, Florida and of course Bamaganza (no chance of cancellation there, you've got no choice), not much chance of missing those.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #349

This will be the firewood for the nightly campfires. Now just to drop it without taking out my power line. Hopefully it will be enough wood.

Camp on....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1460321547571.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	104500  
Old 04-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #350
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

Quote:

We were thinking of renting a Roo from the Army MWR but it turns out those suckers are HEAVY - way too much for the Jeep to tow
Maybe should have thought about a pop up Later RJD

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alabama