Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Director, FROG

Traveling Together to Goshen -- Any Interest?

There have been some inquiries on the other rally threads from Texas and Missouri about traveling together to and/or from Goshen. I know that there's a group assembling somewhere in Iowa to do that, and there might very well be others.

Let's use this thread as a bulletin board to connect folks who might want to do that. We can use PM to get out contact information and try to make connections.

If we can keep this one fairly uncluttered, it can be a good source of putting together groups who might want to caravan and do a little camping along the way.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
There have been some inquiries on the other rally threads from Texas and Missouri about traveling together to and/or from Goshen. I know that there's a group assembling somewhere in Iowa to do that, and there might very well be others.

Let's use this thread as a bulletin board to connect folks who might want to do that. We can use PM to get out contact information and try to make connections.

If we can keep this one fairly uncluttered, it can be a good source of putting together groups who might want to caravan and do a little camping along the way.
What a great idea!
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes leaving sunday morning after breakfast at the Iowa machine shed in Davenport Iowa with dnd in tow.
Others may join in as we will take I-80 almost all the way there after we leave.
Dnd is over nighting at west lake cg.

Any interest pm me .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We are pushing hard to Goshen but have 9 days to get back to AZ after Goshen. Open to ideas for the trip back...

Our itinerary to Goshen:

7/31: Winslow, AZ
8/1: Amarillo, TX
8/2: Kansas City, KS
8/3: Davenport, IA
8/4: GOSHEN BABY!

Our return trip hasn't been mapped out yet and we are open to suggestions from folks who may want to caravan south and west.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #5

Departing Georgia

Cheryl and I will be cranking up around 8:00 AM EST and pulling out of our driveway, then heading up to Chattanooga on I-75..from there to Nashville on I-24, then through Bowling Green on I-65, later we plan to pull over at Cave City to spend the ngiht..Either a Walmart, Lowes or a good cheap camp ground.
Friday AM, we will be pulling out towards Indy, catching US-31N for 117 miles then onto the toll road that will connect with County Road 4..should put us at Goshen around 3:00 PM there time...not sure if they are EST time or Central? Anyone wanting to tag along, welcome
We are volunteering for duty to help Bob get things out...our first time, good way to meet everybody....
The Kicklighters

2500HD Silverado
Crusader 270RET (TL 5'er 45) tag number
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meandcheryl.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	24770  
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Director, FROG

If you're going up US31 to South Bend, you might want to skip the toll road. From the south side of South Bend you can take US20 east to US33, then south on US33 right into Goshen.

US20 is excellent 4-lane divided highway in that stretch, and will save you about 15-20 miles overall.

Goshen is on eastern time. The northwest corner of Indiana, around Gary, is on central time so that it can be in synch with Chicago, but Elkhart, Goshen, Middlebury, and environs are eastern.

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
What a great idea!
Great idea x2
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #8

Directions

Hello Bob,
Checked the route you suggested on US-20...looks fine going that way, but when I got to US33, you said, turn right to go down to Goshen...the camping area where we are having the RALLY is back north on County Road 4, not south..is that correct?
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Ours plans as it stands right now. Always subject to change.

Biloxi,Ms Start "A"

8/2 Biloxi,Ms to Athens,Al Stop "B"
8/3 Athens,Al to Columbus,In Stop "C"
8/4 Columbus,In to Goshen,In Stop "D"
963 miles

Route will be I65 North to Indy, I69 to Ft Wayne, then Hwy33 to Goshen.

Can't wait to meet everyone!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	goshen trip.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	24779
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Hello Bob,
Checked the route you suggested on US-20...looks fine going that way, but when I got to US33, you said, turn right to go down to Goshen...the camping area where we are having the RALLY is back north on County Road 4, not south..is that correct?
The fairground is on County Road 34 (also called Monroe Street), not County Road 4.

From US20, take US33 south into Goshen. You'll go through a lot of shopping center / strip mall area, all 4-lane. By the Courthouse Square, US33 turns to the right (there's a traffic light there), goes past the courthouse by about 3-4 blocks, then turns left at another traffic light by CVS Pharmacy. Continue about 1/2 mile on US33 until you get to the traffic light by Goshen High School, then turn left. It's about 1/2 mile to the fairground on the right.

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 02-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
B47

[QUOTE=awwall;315116]Ours plans as it stands right now. Always subject to change.

Biloxi,Ms Start "A"

8/2 Biloxi,Ms to Athens,Al Stop "B"
8/3 Athens,Al to Columbus,In Stop "C"
8/4 Columbus,In to Goshen,In Stop "D"
963 miles

Route will be I65 North to Indy, I69 to Ft Worth, then Hwy33 to Goshen.

Attachment 24779[/QUOTE

"... 169 to Ft Worth, then Hwy 33 to Goshen." ?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

[quote=b47;315124][quote=awwall;315116]ours plans as it stands right now. Always subject to change.

biloxi,ms start "a"

8/2 biloxi,ms to athens,al stop "b"
8/3 athens,al to columbus,in stop "c"
8/4 columbus,in to goshen,in stop "d"
963 miles

route will be i65 north to indy, i69 to ft worth, then hwy33 to goshen.

Attachment 24779[/quote

so are you officially going ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I guess that means B is going!

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post
I guess that means B is going!

Not necessarily. - but when I saw Ft Worth, I figured I would meet him and turn him around.

I think he meant Ft Wayne.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Hey guys, thanks for the catch on "Ft Worth" instead of "Ft Wayne". Momentary Lapse of Reason (PF). Yes, I am going...can't wait.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

As a note for those coming up from the south through Louisville, I-65 bridge over the Ohio River had been closed and I believe it's now open but with limited lanes. The construction is suppose to be completed by end of August, so you should be safe. If anyone in the Louisville area knows anything, please chime in.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #17
phat phrog stunt crew

a heads up for anybody traveling east thru missouri on I-70 on their way to goshen rally. the bridge over the missouri river is closed east bound, and all traffic is being condensed and merged onto the west bound span. my suggestion is to take 370 to 270 into illinois and pick up 70e there. off course, there is replacement bridge construction on I270 in illinois as well, but nowhere near as bad as the missouri bridge project. you can get thru without drama as they are building a new span just north of the old spans. neither bridge project is expected to be completed this year. those coming up 55 from the south, avoid downtown st louis as there is yet another bridge project, with all construction being in illinois at this point. some going on hiway 40/I64 on missouri side as well.

just my .02 on local traffic here in my area. what joy .... 3 bridge projects on 3 major, but seperate arteries all at the same time
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hey Bob, maybe as it gets closer we should start a construction thread. Just throwing it out there so someone else can remember it besides me!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
a heads up for anybody traveling east thru missouri on I-70 on their way to goshen rally. the bridge over the missouri river is closed east bound, and all traffic is being condensed and merged onto the west bound span. my suggestion is to take 370 to 270 into illinois and pick up 70e there. off course, there is replacement bridge construction on I270 in illinois as well, but nowhere near as bad as the missouri bridge project. you can get thru without drama as they are building a new span just north of the old spans. neither bridge project is expected to be completed this year. those coming up 55 from the south, avoid downtown st louis as there is yet another bridge project, with all construction being in illinois at this point. some going on hiway 40/I64 on missouri side as well.

just my .02 on local traffic here in my area. what joy .... 3 bridge projects on 3 major, but seperate arteries all at the same time
For clarification, the I-70 bridge that's closed (east open, west demolished and being replaced) is the one over the Missouri River at St. Charles, not the one crossing the Missouri at Rocheport west of Columbia. It's not bad away from rush hour, but the 370 idea is a good one. You can pick it up in St. Peters, right at Mid-Rivers Mall.

The construction on I-270 in Illinois is the replacement of the bridges over the Chain of Rocks Canal. All lanes are open, but there are some lane shifts and limited shoulders for a little under a mile. This one is not a big deal.

Bob Byrne
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #20
phat phrog stunt crew

thanks for the clarification bob. i even had my directions mixed on which side was closed, but the results are the same.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote