Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Always Learning

What goes into a FROG event?

I have noticed that there are a bunch of Marylanders here and have thought of the idea of a FROG event in Maryland. But, what I don't know is "why" or "what" we'd do.

What is the average FROG event like? (Assuming the golf cart stunts and antics are already thought of.)
Old 12-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Average Joe

I have no idea.. As a newbie, I'll be sitting quietly on the sidelines watching

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I have noticed that there are a bunch of Marylanders here and have thought of the idea of a FROG event in Maryland. But, what I don't know is "why" or "what" we'd do.

What is the average FROG event like? (Assuming the golf cart stunts and antics are already thought of.)
You just find a nice CG, and a date. You don't need anything special, Then after you pick the CG and know there resources you just do it. If you need anything special talk to Bob, and put together a list and start planning. Is that what you mean?....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #4

Frog rally

LOTS OF FROG LEGS!!
I know, there is one in every group..We are planning a FROG down here in Georgia for the spring...sure we will find out.Happy New Year
kickster
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Always Learning

I guess more of what I mean- would I need to plan for group events, meals, gatherings, etc.? I know Bob's "official" events have full itineraries. But what about the ones that are volunteer started + ran (like what Youroo has going on or the others)?

What do folks expect to happen when they go to one of these? (I've literally been to none- away from the keyboard, I'm quite introverted and have never been to a rally of any sort.)
Old 12-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoe View Post
I have no idea.. As a newbie, I'll be sitting quietly on the sidelines watching
Oh, I'm winging it right along with ya. Don't be shy, speak up!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I guess more of what I mean- would I need to plan for group events, meals, gatherings, etc.? I know Bob's "official" events have full itineraries. But what about the ones that are volunteer started + ran (like what Youroo has going on or the others)?

What do folks expect to happen when they go to one of these? (I've literally been to none- away from the keyboard, I'm quite introverted and have never been to a rally of any sort.)
What you are really doing is getting some people together with the same interest at the same place and date. You really do not need speakers or things like that. You can just have a pot luck or something. Everyone fens for themselves. Your just the person to find and plan a place then advertize on the forum. I would drive up to Maryland. Kinda of a social gathering that's all. Bob will probably send some stickers or something, but keep him in the loop for sure......Think about it and put it out their and see what the responds is.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Average Joe

OK, since you asked.... I agree, just pick a spot and date. Don't get caught up in the details. Pot Luck is the way to go. I put together an event years ago. Bought all the food, entertainment and reserved camp sites.. The whole shebang. I started the planning process with 20 "volunteers" and when it was event time... just me was left

Lessons learned... Keep it Simple!

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Always Learning

I've got a little bit of experience planning my family's family reunions. We usually draw a crowd of 75-150 people, depending on where it was. (Sadly, it's gotten smaller over the years- but, what can you do.)

That was a fairly organized weekend with activities on Friday night and Saturday noon-evening.

Interesting, I'll have to noodle this a bit...
Old 12-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Site Team

Once you have determined dates and location start planning events one at a time. Keep it simple as suggested - maybe a potluck dinner. As others chimes in more ideas will be provided. Some of the best events I have enjoyed are the ones that every moment wasn't planned but then I like Thanksgiving because people are usually willing to relax instead of being in a rush. Getting started on planning is half the battle & things will start coming together afterwards.

A while back I started chatting with another member about a SoCal get-together with maybe a Route 66 theme. Then life happened and the idea sort of fizzled out.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #11

I have never been to a FROG event, but I belong to a camping group, the Volunteer Campers and we have at least one get together each year in the spring and occasionally have one in the fall.

Each year, someone volunteers to be the "planner". Sometimes, they will pick a theme and we all decorate our rigs to that theme or sometimes we don't have a theme. (One year it was bees!! I purchased some white LED C9 lights and dipped them in yellow paint, added some screen wings, used black pipe cleaners for legs and around the body for stripes. These hung on our awning until the storm came up. I also painted a welcome sign with our faces cut out of pictures and placed on painted bee bodies and had out name and "welcome to our hive" on it.)

We always have a meal together - usually a pot luck and with everyone bringing their own "meat" to be grilled. We have a grill master who will cook the brought meats.

We have also done pie iron dinners. Everyone brings things to fix in a pie iron and we share. (Manwich meat and bread is WONDERFUL!), canned biscuits with ham and cheese, biscuits or bread slices with pie filling,

We also plan a group campfire and we pool our resources for s'mores.

When planning, we try to get somewhere that takes reservations that are site specific so we can be close together; it needs to have some amenities such as a playground; needs to be in an area that has some type of local tourist attractions; be of moderate cost; if it has a group shelter area, that is even better.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #12

My wife and I have been looking at planning a FROG Event for Northeast Ohio which would include western PA and western NY. It would be a fall event focusing on the covered bridges in Ashtabula County, OH. Thinking of a Wednesday thru Sunday event with some planned activities and some free time also. We contacted Bob Byrne some time ago for the OK to go full steam ahead and are anxiously awaiting his reply. I'm sure he is busy with all the FROG activities but we are excited to get moving on this project. We really want the approval of FROG as they participate in the event.
pvillebly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:49 PM   #13
Always Learning

I have some great pictures of us at the various covered bridges. We checked them out over July 4 and really enjoyed ourselves!

What campground were you thinking of having it at? I'm only familiar with the Outdoor World/Thousand Trails park there (Kenisee Lake).
Old 01-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #14

We have talked with Evergreen Lake Campground in Conneaut, OH. Located at the intersection of Interstate 90 and Ohio Route 7. Nice convenient location with the amenities needed to host such an event.
pvillebly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:58 AM   #15

I do a boat bash every year. The first thing we do is get location ideas from the guys. Then we run a poll on the locations for 2 weeks and the winning spot it is. We always do it in June but then we have another poll for 2 weeks on which week. So to get a place and date takes about 5-6 weeks but since its a vote everyone seems to be happier then just being told where and when.
Then we basically have pot luck and go with the flow.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:20 AM   #16

As most have said pick a date and a place to start with. I know depending where in Md. we would come from De. we live right on the state line near Elkton. We talked to Bob at the August rally because they are looking for folks to do this very thing, I would try to contact him for any info or help he could offer
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #17

I'm also in De, just 5 miles from Md. I would be interested depending on date and location.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #18

We live in illinois, but visit our daughter in Baltimore/anapolis area and would love to come. We have never attended a frog event and are looking forward to the amana colony event.
DonCath25ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
As most have said pick a date and a place to start with. I know depending where in Md. we would come from De. we live right on the state line near Elkton. We talked to Bob at the August rally because they are looking for folks to do this very thing, I would try to contact him for any info or help he could offer

I live in Elkton, MD. DBLR and I attended the Goshen Rally and did speak to Bob about what it takes to host a rally. Many of the other folks have offered very good advice. As DBLR indicated, if you are interested in hosting a rally contact Bob Byrne at bbyrne@forestriverinc.com as he can offer more advice and provide some support. I would be interested in a rally and would definitely help providing it did not conflict with any planned camping trips.

"Camping is not just a past time it is my relaxing way of life"
buskirk21921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 AM   #20
Director, FROG

I just created a thread of Tips on Organizing a Local FROG Event that you might find helpful. It's at:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ent-52700.html

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frog, vent