Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #1

Work to be done on rigs at Goshen

I plan on attending Goshen for the first time this year and have some questions for you veteran attendees.

1) I have read in many threads go to Goshen and get this or that for free or get something repaired for free. How does this work. My Berkshire has two 13500 BTU Air Conditioning units. They do not cool the coach. I was thinking of swapping the front unit for a 15000 BTU. Can I get this done at Goshen? Will I have to pay? I am out of warranty,

2) For work I may want to have done is there a request form to fill out ahead of the rally or just let someone know when you get there.

3) Are they so busy that they don't get to everyone?

Thanks in advance for your input.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #2

I wouldn't be surprise that you would have to purchase the 15k units out of pocket. They may install them free of charge but that depends upon the Berkshire management team at the rally. They might try to inspect your 13.5k units for any defects though. Everything that gets repaired goes through your Rv brand management committee for review and approval along with prioritization of what can be done onsite that week so not everything is approved.

I know some may make it sound like a free for all at that rally but with 1,000 rigs expected, I would only expect true defects to be taken care of vs. nice to haves done especially when out of warranty.
SurveyorWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #3

If you are a FROG member and have registered your email, you should get a notice some time soon about registration.
There will be a service request form that can be sent/emailed back also.
When you get to the rally, your service request will be reviewed with the FR team and additions may be submitted.

I think the key word here is that 'repairs' are typically done free.
Your request sounds like and 'upgrade' rather than a repair and I'm not sure how/if they would handle those.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #4

not sure the ROI will be worth it. have you had those ACs evaluated? its common to have ducting issues with coaches that never get resolved.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #5

I would go with a repair attempt and document when the A/C does not cool your unit acceptably. Does this happen in 80 degree weather or only when the temps are over 100 degrees? (If the latter then a upgrade to a 15K unit is probably the path to take and maybe the Berkie techs will install purchased units for free)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You must be the original purchasing owner of the rv.
You'll have to pay for the a/c unit they'll likely install for free.
Maybe they'll find the reason the 13.5's are not cooling.
Service request will be part of the registration.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
Director, FROG

A couple of corrections / clarifications to some of the information above. You do not have to be the original owner to get service at Goshen.

The purpose of the service is primarily to deal with:
1) first and foremost, any safety issues
2) problems / fixes / adjustments / repairs that would have been covered if the unit were still under warranty (or even if it is)

It's not intended for "upgrades" such as:
a) I have fabric furniture and wish I had leather, or
b) I was at an RV show recently and saw a trailer the same brand as mine (although much larger and seven years newer) that had two entrances, and it was so cool that I'd like you to cut a hole in the side of my trailer and add a second entrance door and stairs and modify the layout inside to accommodate the new entrance, or
c) I've hit tree limbs twice and put holes in my roof and want you to replace my roof so that I don't have to tell my insurance company, or
d) I live in the south and don't need a furnace, so remove my furnace, construct a storage area, add a storage compartment door, and let me keep my furnace so I can sell it.

By the way, those are not made up. They are all requests that we received last year.

Several weeks ago I got an e-mail from someone who told me he'd just bought a used popup at a price that he thought was a great deal. Now it turns out that there are all kinds of problems, mostly unspecified. He's heard that we do repairs at the FROG Rally, so he'd like us to go over the unit and fix everything that's wrong with it. No.

As for AC's reportedly not cooling the unit, that's the issue to be addressed. The issue is not "replace my AC's with bigger ones."

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #8

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the clarification. So many people speak with authority on the forum and lead one to believe that everything is free at Goshen. It is good to have someone who knows clear the air. I suspected I would need to pay for the AC but wondered more if there would be time by Randy's people to install it with all the other work they have. Otherwise I will add it to my to do list.

As for your last statement I do not think it is a secret to any 39 foot Berkshire owner with four slides and 13500 BTU AC units that they do not do the job in 95 degree heat. I have checked my duct work, clean the AC coils and filter every year, keep all my shades closed, installed window awnings, installed a windshield screen (inside and outside), installed reflectix in all my MaxxAir vent covers, and place a fan in the bedroom to assist in moving the cool air out into the main cabin. Best I can do in the coach is 80 degrees and the AC runs on high and never cycles off. I look like a hermit all closed up and the noise gets old when trying to unwind in the evening.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the clarification. So many people speak with authority on the forum and lead one to believe that everything is free at Goshen. It is good to have someone who knows clear the air. I suspected I would need to pay for the AC but wondered more if there would be time by Randy's people to install it with all the other work they have. Otherwise I will add it to my to do list.

As for your last statement I do not think it is a secret to any 39 foot Berkshire owner with four slides and 13500 BTU AC units that they do not do the job in 95 degree heat. I have checked my duct work, clean the AC coils and filter every year, keep all my shades closed, installed window awnings, installed a windshield screen (inside and outside), installed reflectix in all my MaxxAir vent covers, and place a fan in the bedroom to assist in moving the cool air out into the main cabin. Best I can do in the coach is 80 degrees and the AC runs on high and never cycles off. I look like a hermit all closed up and the noise gets old when trying to unwind in the evening.
This is what we do with Coachmen, again this year we're doing mods....induction cook top. ...MCD shades etc. We make previous arrangements with their shop and get things done prior to or after the rally. ...mods we pay for. If you can do it that way, you have no need to worry about them not getting to it during the rally. ..just a thought

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Hi Bob,

I suggest you do the "Herk mod" to your ac units. Pull the covers off and cover the compressor and pipes with insulation and also put insulation on the covers themselves. Sure made our single unit cool our 5er in 100° weather.
I used the bubble/alum foil insulation, as did Herk.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I don't know, I have a single 13.5k unit and seems to cool my 36' unit pretty darn good.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
A
The purpose of the service is primarily to deal with:
1) first and foremost, any safety issues
2) problems / fixes / adjustments / repairs that would have been covered if the unit were still under warranty (or even if it is)
."
We've been to the last 2 Goshen rally's and had a handful of annoying issues resolved by the Palomino/Sabre Team both times. I believe they were all well with in the primary service purpose stated by FROG Bob.

One such issue last year was a very small, hard to find, propane leak that they found and repaired for us. They did go above and beyond by replacing other lines and fittings just to be sure.

Also...We were talking to a couple and asked if they were planning on returning to Goshen for 2015. He said it was depending on whether he needed any service work done.

I believe this to be a non-typical attitude amongst FROG Folk. For us, we would consider it a good thing to arrive at Goshen with no service needed.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I suggest you do the "Herk mod" to your ac units. Pull the covers off and cover the compressor and pipes with insulation and also put insulation on the covers themselves. Sure made our single unit cool our 5er in 100° weather.
Do you think they will do the "Herk mod" for me for FREE if I drag my trailer to Goshen?

Just kidding.

I think I'll get busy searching for YouTube videos or some such to get the details on this mod. Maybe I can kill two flying insects with one set of foil insulation!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #14
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Do you think they will do the "Herk mod" for me for FREE if I drag my trailer to Goshen?

Just kidding.

I think I'll get busy searching for YouTube videos or some such to get the details on this mod. Maybe I can kill two flying insects with one set of foil insulation!
I have Herk's phone number if you want to check with him on having it done. Also, if you're concerned about killing flying insects, you might want to ask Herk about the "salt shooter."

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #15

Why on earth Dometic went to dark-colored internals/foam, especially with the black shroud, bewilders me! We'll see how it goes this summer, but might need that Herk-alize my A/C!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #16

Is the Herk-mod you all are referring to the one I linked below or is there a better thread with pictures and all? I love pictures :-)

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nts-39868.html

EDIT: Found the Herk thread that has the pics!

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-ac-42280.html
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
rotary compressors run so hot you cant touch them. I would not think it wise to insulate that...
Old 03-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
Why on earth Dometic went to dark-colored internals/foam, especially with the black shroud, bewilders me! We'll see how it goes this summer, but might need that Herk-alize my A/C!
Actually the "heat" effect of the light or dark cover is negligible.
There is no "real" noticeable heat change.

We go through this all the time with shingles, people say I want black shingles but they'll put to much heat in the house when it's hot out, entirely not true.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
it would seem this was done in conjunction with the color change motif the manufacturers did, a quasi conspiracy if you will. Can we get some black EPDM to go with that??
Old 03-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
rotary compressors run so hot you cant touch them. I would not think it wise to insulate that...
You don't cover the compressor, just the sheet metal housing and inside the cover and the piping.