Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

Yellowstone Park Campgrounds for May 2011

Hi All.
I will be heading to Yellowstone park after the Forest River Owners Group Rally in Branson MO and want to know what would be a good campground in the park? My routing says I should enter the park from the west side.
Does this sound right?

Anyway wanting to hear from others on a good route as well as campgrounds in or outside the park. I need tomake reservations now I'm sure.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
CampeRooo

For easy reference - Yellowstone National Park - Campgrounds in Yellowstone (U.S. National Park Service) you can take virtual tours from this site.

When we owned our popup, we stayed in Madison campground and it was really nice. A bit tight for some of the bigger rigs, but it was so dark and quiet, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face once we went to bed. Most of the people that were there went to bed after sundown, so we sat with our fire going until after the midnight hour as we listened to the Elk and Wolves all around us.

If you want some really cool views on the way in, go in through the South as you will pass by the Tetons also. I think the West entrance is less mileage, but the South has it's benefits too.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

we came in from the west entrance and stayed at Madison. great base for visiting the geyser basin.

because we went after Labor Day, some camgrounds were closed. we wanted to stay at Canyon but the road to it was closed. so we stayed at Grant, which is a great CG by the lake.
i think Canyon's location is great for visiting the top loop.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the information about the entrance area and campgrounds.
I have done a lot of reading and it seems that all the campgrounds are tight. I was looking at one called The Grizzly Campground inside the park which seems to be very nice. It says the campgrounds all open May 1st so if we were to go it will be around the 9 or 10th of the month of May.
Looks like it is still chilly up there in May and may even have snow.

Can anyone enlighten me about the temps andweathe rin mid May?

Thanks

Old 01-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #5

Expect the unexpected in Yellowstone. Seen 8 inches of snow early June...Be prepared....
Old 01-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1 View Post
Expect the unexpected in Yellowstone. Seen 8 inches of snow early June...Be prepared....
WOW!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #7

I stayed at Grizzly for several days and it is a great park. I strongly recommend it. It is not in Yellowstone though but is located outside the park in the city of West Yellowstone. Be sure to check out the Grizzly discovery center while you are there!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #8

The side of the park you enter on is dependent upon which route you take. The scenery is excellent no matter which direction you approach from. You might take a look at either an entrance or exit of the park on the east side and go through Cody, Wy. Several good RV parks in Cody on the way in or out. A good place to stay en-route is Indian Campground in Buffalo, Wy. Close to the intersection of I25 and I90. From my travels in that area during early and late May it is not crowded. Animals are plentiful to see. If you like to fish your options are limited due to spring run off. Yellowstone river, as it exits the park on the north side will look like chocolate milk.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #9

I will be coming from the east and can enter on the east side, south side or the west side. My issue is that with a 5th wheel 30' and the possibility of snow in mid May I think the east and north entraces would be out. Anyway thank you for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz08h5 View Post
The side of the park you enter on is dependent upon which route you take. The scenery is excellent no matter which direction you approach from. You might take a look at either an entrance or exit of the park on the east side and go through Cody, Wy. Several good RV parks in Cody on the way in or out. A good place to stay en-route is Indian Campground in Buffalo, Wy. Close to the intersection of I25 and I90. From my travels in that area during early and late May it is not crowded. Animals are plentiful to see. If you like to fish your options are limited due to spring run off. Yellowstone river, as it exits the park on the north side will look like chocolate milk.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
Head Rambler

We went there two years ago the last week in May and the snow was so deep that several of the campgrounds couldn't open. We wound up staying it the Teton national park at Colter Bay and it was nice and plenty big for your rig.

I suggest calling the park service there and see what kind of year they're expecting. That'll be your best bet.

Tags
frog