Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
Wanderluster

Question A Simple Question

If you don't go boondocking, why not? Don't be shy... less than 10% of RVers are boondockers and I am curious why that is.

A few reasons for not boondocking I can think of off the top of my head are convenience, lack of knowledge of locations to go, and health issues. We live in remote Nebraska and I know that some of our city visitors are uncomfortable at night in the country... that would be another good reason to stay away from the back country. Musn't forget the "I'm too old for this S#%T"

So spill...

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #2

I boondock 95% of the time. Typically I am 50 miles away from the nearest town. Personally I am much more comfortable 50 miles from the nearest town than I am being in it. The peace and quiet is unbeatable! Not to offend anyone else but this is true camping in my opinion. I am fortunate to live in an area where this is possible. For me there are no inconveniences in camping this way. I have all the ameneties I need as much as a campground. After many, many years of boondocking, I rarely find myself wanting or lacking anything once I am out there other than maybe more time off work!

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #3

I think you will find that the people who RV are generally getting older and enjoy the resort lifestyle more than the peace and quiet of a remote camp site. Just look at the type of RV's on the road. That should answer your question.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I think we boondock because we're set up for it. The power and water requirements and limitations are burdens that some don't want to deal with.

We used to do a lot more in the 90s before kids and still do some occasionally but now spend more time dry camping in state parks for the convenience.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #5

We do both and love both.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #6

Having an endless supply of fresh water is the main reason I stay at some kind of CG. I drink lots and lots of water!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I think we boondock because we're set up for it. The power and water requirements and limitations are burdens that some don't want to deal with.

We used to do a lot more in the 90s before kids and still do some occasionally but now spend more time dry camping in state parks for the convenience.
Triguy said it pretty well for my case. Now if I were with a group of people instead of being alone I would feel differently but in the meantime I'm in love with full hookups. Being the main caregiver for my dad who had a stroke just being able to get away is priceless. My RV is my home away from home but without schedules.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
H2oski

There aren't many places on the east coast to boondock. That's why we don't.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #9

Not much boondocking that's legal in new England and there are a number of good private campgrouds and some state parks that can still feel private and not crowded or in a parking lot. There is a decent amount if choices between a full timer type RV resort and primitive camping.
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Site Team

we dry camp almost exclusively but have yet to truly boondock.
we have some new friends that do and we're hoping to do some boondocking this year.

it's more of identifying a good place. we didn't know anyone who does, who could recommend someplace, until we met our new friends.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #11

It depends on exactly how you define boondocking. My wife and I are both 70 years old. In the last three years, we spent 2 nights in commercial campgrounds. The rest of our time was generally in national forest, national park, and state park campgrounds.

Last year we spent 10 nights in a n.f. campground. For 8 of those nights, we were alone. There were no hookups, but there was a picnic table, fire ring, vault toilet, and water pump.

Were we boondocking? I really don't care. We enjoyed it whatever you want to call it.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #12

I boondocked for year when scout leader. Now I enjoy the comforts of full serviced site
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post
It depends on exactly how you define boondocking. My wife and I are both 70 years old. In the last three years, we spent 2 nights in commercial campgrounds. The rest of our time was generally in national forest, national park, and state park campgrounds.

Last year we spent 10 nights in a n.f. campground. For 8 of those nights, we were alone. There were no hookups, but there was a picnic table, fire ring, vault toilet, and water pump.

Were we boondocking? I really don't care. We enjoyed it whatever you want to call it. Joel
generally, boondocking is camping in undeveloped areas, that don't have numbered campsites, picnic tables and fire rings. those are found in developed campsites.

what you did is generally called "dry camping", not boondocking.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
I think you will find that the people who RV are generally getting older and enjoy the resort lifestyle more than the peace and quiet of a remote camp site. Just look at the type of RV's on the road. That should answer your question.
I fit into the older than dirt group & boomdocking or dry camping in the back country is why I have a self contained 5thwheel. Were I can get out by myself & enjoy the peace and quite and still have most of the conforts of home. Used to do a lot of tent camping but these old bones can't take much sleeping on the ground. We also camp in State Parks a lot.
billy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #15

We mainly camp in state parks & national parks. Now that we have the tt we want to do some boondocking, however, we have no idea where to find good locations. I know you can camp anywhere in a national forest, however, where do you find the roads, & what if you get into a location you can not get out? We live in MN and I'm sure there are some great places in nothern mn to do this!!! Help?

2012 30, 2013 25, 2014 29, 2015 37
hockey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #16

Colorado is boondocking heaven. Pretty much unlimited opportunites in stunning settings, with good access readily available.
We found many places by just looking at the National Forest topo maps.
And the trail systems are second to none. Hiking, bicycles, motorcycles, quads, horses, whatever your fancy, there is lots of room for all.
DonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #17

Guess we technically dry camp rather than boondock but that is almost all we do. Some campgrounds are way too compact for me to really consider it camping.

The only way I would really like some of the ones I have seen is if the TT was taking the place of a hotel and we were doing other things in the area rather than what I consider "camping".
wvcampincpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #18

What and give up my A/C? Have you been to South Georgia in the summer?? There would be no way to sleep at night.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #19

Is there a good resource to identify public places to boondock?

Might consider in Florida during the winter when the AC isn't needed ALL the time... Suspect I would have to get serious about conservation of battery/water/holding tanks, where to restock, etc.... kinda like sailing except generator not built-in.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #20

We don't boondock because we live in NW Missouri. Summer camping in this part of the world with no AC is no FUN. We do like to get off the beaten path and have found some small CG's that fill the bill nicely.
mrmurph is offline   Reply With Quote