Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #1

Accessing Internet without Hookup Samsung Galaxy Tab

Sorry to ramble on, but we are pretty thrilled to have access to the internet while on the road for fun and work.. . ...Especially for those cross country trips... We purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3g 16 gB 7" Android.... It is half the size and half the weight of the Ipad......It is not a phone but does text with it's own phone number..... It will pick up free wifi spots and if it cannot find one it will use the carrier you set it up with, verizon, ATT sprint, tmobile etc..... A minimum $20 monthly charge for 1gB or $50 monthly charge for 5gB or $80 monthly charge for 10gB (not all providers require a plan) ....You can also tether it to another rooted Android device with wireless tether....We LOVE it!.... It is really a great size......Anyone else have one? The good the bad the ugly?
Attached Images

mooneybeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #2

Well, we put our Galaxy to the test on our recent 5000 mile trip to Arizona from Michigan. Sooo glad to have the creature comfort on the long haul. We used the "allstays Camp and RV" Ap and "allstays RV Dumps" and "Rest Stops Plus" Aps frequently. They helped so much. Also having the news and weather channel Aps helped us dodge some risky weather situations. We will always have our handy dandy road atlas and hardcopy RV site books, but you can't knock technology!

P.S. After 18 days of use we still haven't used even 1 GB ($20)

mooneybeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #3
Site Team

Great report. I've been looking at tablets and can't decide which one to go with. I don't like the Ipads for several reasons especially the size.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390bh

I looked at the different tablets and went with the Ipad2. For my purposes I only need the internet at sporadic times and I can access it pretty easily with my Motorola Droid. Generally when I need internet with the tablet there is a Wi-Fi spot closeby.

Besides my practice I teach taxation courses to other CPA's and I found I can upload my manuals to my Ipad. This allows me to travel to my seminar locations without dragging manuals through airports and it gives me a fun toy to play with while I'm waiting for my flight to be cancelled.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #5

i use the myfi2200 from Verizon. for $35/mo, i am allowed 3g. if i go over it adds $10 and gives another gig.
we use it on the road and at home. both me and my wife use it at the same time. found speed comparable (sometimes faster) than sat internet.
so far, we have come close but not exceeded the 3g.
i also have the samsung fascinate. it has capability of being a hot spot. but has a 2g restriction.
i'm kinda leary of public hot spots. will not do any banking on them. i do use them for email.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
Great report. I've been looking at tablets and can't decide which one to go with. I don't like the Ipads for several reasons especially the size.
We just bought a Nook Color for $249 from BN. A quick google search on rooting Nook Color and we now have a fully functional 7" Android tablet that can text and do anything the more expensive tablets can.
Droidrt is offline   Reply With Quote