Old 08-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #1

Anybody use the Harbor Freight inverter generator?

Inverter Generator - 4.7HP, 2500W Inverter Generator

Do you like it? Good solution for weekend dry camping just for keeping the battery charged (no air)?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Old 08-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

64db is WAY loud for an inverter generator.
Heck, that's the same noise rating as many open frame contractor type generators.

I wouldn't subject camping neighbors to that loud of a generator.
And remember that noise rating is at idle.
It'll be louder when it ramps up.

'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:13 PM   #3

Cool. Thanks! I'll pass on it then.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #4

Being it is a Harbor Freight product, I would use it 4 or 5 times then just leave it at campground for someone else to 'find'. That way you won't be mad the 6th time you need it and its crapped out.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #5

Oh come on now it's not as bad as that.

I've got a shop-full of HF tools among other brands and have never really had any problems with anything. Most of the "American" brands are made in the exact same factories in the Orient. You just have to shop wisely which is why I was asking for peoples' experiences. That goes for anything you buy nowadays since almost everything is made overseas. I've got a Hf jointer, belt sander, lathe, dust collector, scroll saw, pressure washer, compressor, etc. I've been mostly happy with all of it.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:54 PM   #6

The generator is a clone of an ETQ I owned in the past. It is not that loud at full load and its noise level was acceptable.

Read the reviews of this generator and many also state that the generator is quiet. One review of the ETQ states that it was 59 Db at 1 meter running a 1,000 watt load. 59 db is relative normal volume. 60 db is considered normal conversation sound pressure level.

Don't trust all the specs you read on Chinese generator. This generator load rating is overstated as is its sound level. I could only get 1600 watts out of my generator but I'm not at sea level. A review stated that it only put out 1900 watts continuous.

For dry camping to charge batteries it will be perfect for you. Inverter generators only get loud at higher loads and recharging batteries doesn't put much of a load on them.

It is ON SALE at harborfreight for $349.00 and that is a price that can't be beat.

I'm thinking of buying a couple at that price just for emergency use and a backup for our cabin's Champion generator.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:56 PM   #7

I also have lots of HF tools and equipment. But I only buy anything electric from them if I just need it occasionally and not for anything major. A generator for $350? Sure it's a great price, but I would rather put that money toward a reliable generator than waste it one you know will not last long. You have to admit they don't have the best rep for most of their electric tools.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I also have lots of HF tools and equipment. But I only buy anything electric from them if I just need it occasionally and not for anything major.
That's the situation here with my possible generator purchase. I have never dry-camped before and anticipate only doing it once or twice a year for a couple nights each time. Here in the South the times are rare that the weather is comfortable enough to go without air or heater. In late November it seems to go from being 85/60 suddenly to being 55/20s. So 99% of the time I camp where there's power.

Also, unlike in the Southwest, we don't really have that many places that allow dispersed camping (that I'm currently aware of). We have lots of Nfs in the western half of the state, but there are campgrounds with electric scattered all through, and I think they want you to stick to those. The generator would just be for those rare occasions (not even planned yet) where I might need my battery charged.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:40 AM   #9

In the harbor freight ad this weekend I see they have a newer model inverter 2000w that you can parallel with another.

http://m.harborfreight.com/2000-peak...arb-62523.html

No reviews but would be interesting to see if they have now also cloned others in design. Never had issues with my open frame generator from there but can't say it's quiet either.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:08 AM   #10

I bought the the 2800 watt inverter one for $499 and had the overload kick on, then any time I put any load it would kick out. Took it back and paid restocking fee. Bought a 3100 champion inverter for $750 , love it.

retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter