Old 06-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
100 watt

We use a 100watt renology solar panel with two trojan 6 volt batteries. The solar panel is hooked to the controller by about 20 feet of #10 wire. We don't use the microwave or furnace but we do have a dc tv, 100 watt sewing machine, 100 watt iron, (my wife is a quilter) led lights, computers, printer, and phone. The panel puts out about 6 amps in full sunshine and we move the panel every couple hours. We keep the shadows of the panel square with the sun and tilt the panel so the shadow is as short as possible. When the panel is not aligned with the sun the output drops drastically. We don't have any problem with the solar keeping up if we are in the southwest United States but the southeast has a lot of trees and a lot more cloudy days. We have a generator backup but it takes us several hours to recharge the batteries that way.

fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #12

I run 100 watt panel with 200 ah of battery. With the right inverter, it will run everything but the A/C, which I don't need in the woods.

mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #13
To get the most out of solar panels, the best single improvement you can make to any system is to use one of the newer style MPPT charge controllers. These controllers will operate the solar panel at its optimum power production point and, with the very newest ones (lots more $$$), adjust the charging voltage to further increase the charge rate.

Another advantage of the MPPT controllers is that multiple similar panels can be wired in series. This increases voltage instead of current which allows the standard #10 wire to deliver more power to the controller because the power loss in the wire is proportional to the current squared. This means that pushing 10A through the wire will have 4x the losses that 5A has.

The other end of solar is to minimize your load on the batteries. If you aren't using your furnace, it's likely that the largest load on the battery is your fridge. Many RV fridges have an anti condensation heater around the door seals. This heater draws around 1A all the time and is a big drain on the batteries. On my Dometic fridge, I can unplug the power for the heater and light at the control board. Others have removed the light to get access to the wiring behind it and installed a shutoff switch for the heating strip.

My Georgetown 327DS has a solenoid valve on the gas line wired into the manufacturer installed propane/CO detector. The original solenoid also drew 1A whenever the house batteries were connected. That solenoid burned out and the replacement now draws only 0.5A. I also installed a switch on the power line to the solenoid that allows me to shut it off if I don't want propane available in the RV.

LED lights draw a fraction of the power that incandescent bulbs require. When I removed one of the ceiling fixtures to rewire it for the LED panels I installed in it, I discovered that the ceiling had turned brown under the fixture. This was a heat burn from the standard bulbs.

pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #14
Originally Posted by MarkMtl View Post
Thank you.

How long would it take to charge one 12 v or two 6v with a 2000 watt (1600 watt nominal output) inverter generator?

what will allow me the most dry time....two 6v or two 12v batteries?

thanks again
I cant say for 6v but I have dual 12 v batteries in parallel, I charge them every afternoon, on my gauge they show 1/3 to 2/3 depleted from the nights and days activities. I use a Yamaha 2k (inverter, quiet, .... all that jazz) and it takes about 1-3 hours to get them back to full (depending on how depleted they were). I use about 1 gallon of gas in the generator every 2-3 days for charging. Hope this answers some questions and helps.

2015 Forest River EVO 2850
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
Yamaha 2k x 2 with parallel cable
EMS 30 PI portable w/ Edison plug

Nights Camped (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote

camping, dry camping, solar, battery