Old 02-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #1

Battery Charger and Built-in Converter used at the Same Time

Does any one know of a reason why I can not speed up the charging of the batteries by hooking up a battery charger at the same time the built-in converter is supplying power to the batteries too?

I have two batteries and am looking for a faster way to charge them due to the limited amount of time you can run a generator at some national parks. I would like to to use a charger that is capable of 50 amps. I know the converter is much less than that.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampnnit View Post
Does any one know of a reason why I can not speed up the charging of the batteries by hooking up a battery charger at the same time the built-in converter is supplying power to the batteries too?

I have two batteries and am looking for a faster way to charge them due to the limited amount of time you can run a generator at some national parks. I would like to to use a charger that is capable of 50 amps. I know the converter is much less than that.
I would not add a second charger, either get a new convertor like 70 amp or just buy the 50 amp and only use that. Look at a progressive 70 amp exact same fit just change the wires over. You probably have a WFCO 50 amp now.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I would not add a second charger, either get a new convertor like 70 amp or just buy the 50 amp and only use that.
X2. I would highly discourage dual chargers. In conjunction with upgrading your charger, other preferred methods would be to not discharge your batteries as deeply between charges (no more than 50%, but 70-80% is preferable), or increase the size of your battery bank to more adequately fit your daily power usage.

Just curious, but how are you determining state of charge? Have you ever done a power audit?

The more information you provide (battery type, what do you typically run, what genset are you using, etc) the better able we are to help.

Tags
battery, converter