Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
There is now a subforum in Lifestyles for "Boondocking"...
Thank you!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by socref01 View Post
...Anyway, that's how good I think they are....Please feel free to share more.
Thank you!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 03-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #23

Are these last 4 pics from Arizona also??
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Camping in 2011 =43
socref01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #24

Yes, they are all in Arizona.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 03-25-2011, 02:54 AM   #25

Ok Glenn, how do you get your truck to all the boondocking areas without dust? I only saw one shot under the big pine tree where there is dirt on your truck, and of course the snow.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
Ok Glenn, how do you get your truck to all the boondocking areas without dust? I only saw one shot under the big pine tree where there is dirt on your truck, and of course the snow.

It is an advanced boondocking skill I am only recently starting to master. It is part of the "dirt free" camping philosophy.

Actually the truck is dirtier than it appears in the photographs. It is in part the settings for the camera I am using. I can set it to enhance the colors so they do not appear to be so washed out and as a result, the color of the truck shows up more than the dust.

In this photo the truck was very dusty as I had driven about 20 miles on dirt roads. You can still see dust on the tires, but hardly any on the truck itself:

Here are a couple pictures where the dust/dirt is more evident:

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 03-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
Agreed,

If you are boondocking, then you are also dry camping, but if you are dry camping, you are not necessarily boondocking. Boondocking is a specific type of dry camping outside of established campgrounds.
I like that definition. Seems like I mostly dry camp, sometimes do RVn' with hookups, and occasionally boondock.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #28

Glenn,
I really dont know many places back east here where you can legally do what you do. I could be wrong though and likely am...I guess other than my backpacking, kayak camping and ocasional boat camping ( all boondocking it), my trailer camping is boondocking lite... we will go to an established US Forest Service campground with no hook ups, no water, no electric...that is boondocking lite (dry camping)...

If I knew of places like you go out west there that were back here, I would boondock it in the trailer too.

That dust free camping rocks! and the dust free truck is even bette. Our 4 Runner is dark blue and we will on an improved gravel road here in the mountains. I can wash that thing and within a day driving down our road, especially if it has been dry, the truck is dirty.

On a side note, I find it interesting folks were or are reluctant to ask where you go in AZ to do this. It seems it is almost like asking a fisherman for his secret spots (lol)....
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyroo View Post
Glenn,
I really dont know many places back east here where you can legally do what you do.
By my understanding, on U.S. Forest Service land in western Virginia, if it isn't specific porhibited in an area, camping is allowed anywhere you can get your trailer into.....without cutting down trees.

The prohibitive areas include the areas around some water control dams, and within so many feet of established campgrounds.

I have found a couple of non-campground sites that I want to try out.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Glenn,
I really don't know many places back east here where you can legally do what you do. I could be wrong though and likely am...I guess other than my backpacking, kayak camping and occasional boat camping ( all boondocking it), my trailer camping is boondocking lite... we will go to an established US Forest Service campground with no hook ups, no water, no electric...that is boondocking lite (dry camping)....
Not sure what you are defining as "back east" but you can boondock on most all National Forest property. I am in Ohio and boondock in Wayne national Forest (have a great hunting spot there), as well I have boondocked in PA, NY, VT, WV, and Maine. In the east on the various Park systems websites it goes by different names, search primitive and backcountry camping to find the rules for the individual parks.
Here is a sample from the Wayne NF website:
Primitive Camping
Primitive Camping is allowed on NF land away from developed campgrounds and anywhere that your camping equipment and/or vehicle do not block developed trails or road right-of-ways.

Plan to bring enough drinking water for the duration of your stay. Leave a clean campsite by packing out all refuse. There is no charge for primitive camping, although a 14 day limitation is in effect. It is not normally necessary to check in with the Forest Service. However, groups larger than 25 people require a permit and prior coordination is required.

Also be careful of fire restrictions some of the east parks only allow fires in provided rings, this is usually in areas that use the term backcountry camping, they provide areas with fire rings that you can move around but fire must be in the ring.

Go enjoy your first Boondock once you do you will not go back to the local KOA.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #31

Quote:
Glenn, I really dont know many places back east here where you can legally do what you do....
I have heard that about back east, that primitive camping areas are not as readily available as here in the southwest. As more people relocate here, it is becoming more difficult to find a spot to yourself, but still can be done.

The Forest Service does list dispersed camping areas in North Carolina, but interestingly enough, they include campgrounds:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTSw8jAwgAykeaxcN4jhYG_h4eYX5hPgYwefy6w0H24dcPNgEH cDTQ9_PIz03VL8iNMMgycVQEAIzTHkw!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfME80MEkxVkFCOTBFMktTNTlIMj AwMDAwMDA!/?recid=48112&actid=34&cid=FSE_003705&navid=1101300 00000000&ss=110811&ttype=activity&pname=National+F orests+in+North+Carolina-+Camping+&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&pnavid=110000000 000000&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT

The dispersed camping for Apache/Sitgreaves National Forest here in Arizona simply says:

"You may camp outside of developed campgrounds anywhere on the Forest at no charge. Potable water, toilets, and other amenities are not generally available. If you choose to camp outside developed areas, be sure to bring adequate water or be prepared to purify any water source before drinking. No permits are required to camp in Wilderness areas."

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 03-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
...Go enjoy your first Boondock once you do you will not go back to the local KOA.
AMEN!!

That is the great thing about boondocking having its own section, people that didn't even realize you can do such a thing, might be so inclined to do so now and those of us that do can learn even more from each other.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #33
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Glenn - AWESOME photos and what a spot to park! I am sooooo jealous!!! Nice rig too!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
Glenn - AWESOME photos and what a spot to park! I am sooooo jealous!!! Nice rig too!
Thank you. I do appreciate the compliments from everyone. I have always enjoyed camping and feel quite blessed to have my wonderful wife and two incredible children who also share the love of camping. It is a dream come true for us to have our camper and be able to enjoy these trips as a family. In the past I have been lapse in capturing the moments with photographs and when I have taken photographs I have usually been disappointed with them. I have recently tried to improve my photographic skills. I have come a long way, but still have much to learn. I am glad to be able to share them with you and do appreciate your compliments.

Happy camping everyone!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
There is now a subforum in Lifestyles for "Boondocking".

I always considered boon-docking and dry camping the same, but I can understand bikendan's explanation. Usually when you are off the grid, it is somewhere like BLM or National Forest land. But then again, I camp on the Skyline Drive a lot, where the sites are paved, but no hookups, so that might be considered dry camping instead of boon-docking.
Chap as you know from RVpics I drove the Skyline drive 1st part of Oct-11
didn't see any campgrounds were did I miss them?
Billy Bob
billy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bob View Post
Chap as you know from RVpics I drove the Skyline drive 1st part of Oct-11
didn't see any campgrounds were did I miss them?
Billy Bob
Wow, I didn't realize that you were the same "Bill". The eagle avatar should have been a clue.

There are 4 campgrounds on the Skyline Drive:

Mathews Arm at milepost 22 with about 150 sites, some reserveable, others 1st come 1st served. I have never been to this campground. It is close to Front Royal in the northern district.

Big Meadows is at milepost 51 in the central district with about 200 sites. Big Meadows is usually the 1st to open in the spring, and the last to close in the fall. I thought all sites were were reservable during the main camping season, but the website show some 1st come 1st served. Many sites here have big trees, but very little in low vegetation to isolate 1 campsite from the next.

My camper at Big Meadows:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Meadows 001.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	9210

Lewis Mtn at milepost 57 is a small campground with about 30 sites. This campground is not very "big rig" friendly, but I have seen some pretty good sized units in there. I think all sites are 1st come, 1st served.

Photo taken of a good sized rig at Lewis Mtn a couple of weeks ago:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4154.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	9211

Loft Mtn at milepost 80 in the southern district is our favorite spot....the sites tend to be more private. There are about 160 sites there, with both reservable and 1st come, 1st served sites.

My avatar photo was taken at Loft Mtn.

As far as I know, there are no water or electric sites at any of the campgrounds.....other than the camp hosts. Water is usually found via spigots around the campgrounds. Generators are allowed certain times of the day, and several campgrounds have specific "no generator" areas if people are there for the quiet.

I think all campgrounds are only 1st come 1st served during the early and late season.

Lewis Mtn. does not have a dump station. The other 3 are probably within a mile or so of the campground. A little bit of a trek if you need to pull a blue tote there, but convenient dumping when you are leaving with a rig.

Here is a good place for campground information on the Drive: Shenandoah National Park - Campgrounds (U.S. National Park Service)

Hope this helps.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #37
JAYCO Representative

Great thread with awesome pics! Thanks to all for sharing...
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #38
xgeoman

Glenn, I am in Prescott and considering a trip to the White Mtns and was wondering if you could elaborate on the interesting sounding boondock areas you found. The Forest road number and turnoff would be very helpful. Thanks, L.Dee
xgeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #39

Love boondockin! We head up to northern New Mexico every chance we get. Gona be 4 days this weekend.