Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 10:20 PM   #61

Boondocking Safety

We have camped/boondocked for decades. We camp/boondock and fish in Florida, Alabama and Georgia in state parks and remote areas. We have met some really nice people and a few sketchy people along the way.

I recommend researching the areas that you want to visit. I also recommend researching the wildlife in the area.

Firearms are a person choice. I, personally, do not recommend boondocking in Florida without one.

I work in an area where firearms are not permitted. We have the things mentioned in this thread in our offices - baseball bats, wasp spray, bear spray, taser flashlights, etc.

The biggest issues on our last two camps (Florida) have been drunken, loud neighbors and unleashed large dogs.

Have fun, but do maintain situational awareness!
kidwelljr is offline   Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 11:05 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I'd be careful. A couple camping for free on South Padre Island Texas just lost their lives in a free camping area. https://www.unionleader.com/news/cri...f7faeb4b5.html
Of course, there have been others that have lost their lives in paid camping areas.
That being said... we've only seen people willing to help and watch over their neighbors no matter where we've camped. I feel safer camping than I do going to the local mall. And we don't carry a gun because of personal preference.
Also there was a case in Oklahoma a few years ago where a couple with their RV had stopped to walk their dog and some escaped convicts came up, tied them up, put them in the RV, drove somewhere, killed them and burned the RV. That said, these cases are rare, but like the others said, just be careful where you go and don't pull over in the middle of nowhere.
desuhu is offline   Reply
Old 11-18-2019, 11:57 PM   #63

I ALWAYS have a firearm close just in case...better to have it and not need it than need it and nothave it...usually a 9mm pistol or a shockwave shotgun...on that note...safe travels.
The furnace is offline   Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 12:01 AM   #64
Midwest Ed

While most of the discussion has been evaluating how to avoid the evil possible from a tiny minority of humans, the much greater threat will come from accidents and lack of preparedness that can eventually afflict any of us. Specifically, injury from any sort of accident, to becoming stranded due to the breakdown of equipment or just plain getting stuck somewhere.

I started out in the world of wilderness backpacking so I always carry a very well stocked first aid kit, the ability to safely filter and treat the scummiest of puddle water, the ability to start a fire for warmth and cooking from both natural fuel sources and a small camp stove. Signaling devices including an air horn, a loud whistle, a signal mirror, a laser and flares. The quantity of consumables like water, food and dry clothes depends on the destination and schedule. Now that I traded in the backpack for a trailer my emergency supplies can be much more plentiful.

I’m a firm believer in the saying that having a 4 wheel drive vehicle only means you’re going to walk even further when you eventually do get stuck and I carry an ATV in my pickup. Winches and tool boxes and tow straps and spare gas are a given.

Only one person mentioned a personal beacon. I will not travel into a remote area any further than I am willing and able to walk out, and that’s not very far, unless I have a rescue plan. I always carry my Garmin InReach. Another brand is made by Spot but I’ve never used theirs. These systems can perform 3 extremely useful functions.
1) It periodically sends your GPS located position to satellites which can then be observed and tracked on the Internet either by friends and relatives with the login credentials.
2) It allows one-way or two-way communications via texting to/from cell phones in areas where cell phone coverage is totally non-existent. It uses the same satellite system as SAT phones but no voice.
3) With the push of one button, an SOS can be sent to the manufacturer’s monitoring system.
The cost is just pennies to a couple of dollars a day depending on amount of use.

It’s also my experience that the worst outcomes result when a second thing goes wrong after the first was ignored or not handled properly. Maintaining situational awareness and being prepared for any likely event is the key.
Midwest Ed is offline   Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 12:49 AM   #65

A lot of people boondock without firearms, so you aren't alone in that regard. Don't let it keep you from getting out there and enjoying yourselves.

I personally carry wherever I can legally do so, but even then I carry bear spray as well. Against animals (especially at night) bear spray can be safer and easier to manage. However, I wouldn't go up against a grizzly with only bear spray. Nor would I go days off the beaten path without a firearm just because help is so far away and things can happen. Animals, people, injured animals...you just never know what you could run into that far from civilization.
J Man is offline   Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Ed View Post
While most of the discussion has been evaluating how to avoid the evil possible from a tiny minority of humans, the much greater threat will come from accidents and lack of preparedness that can eventually afflict any of us. Specifically, injury from any sort of accident, to becoming stranded due to the breakdown of equipment or just plain getting stuck somewhere.

I started out in the world of wilderness backpacking so I always carry a very well stocked first aid kit, the ability to safely filter and treat the scummiest of puddle water, the ability to start a fire for warmth and cooking from both natural fuel sources and a small camp stove. Signaling devices including an air horn, a loud whistle, a signal mirror, a laser and flares. The quantity of consumables like water, food and dry clothes depends on the destination and schedule. Now that I traded in the backpack for a trailer my emergency supplies can be much more plentiful.

I’m a firm believer in the saying that having a 4 wheel drive vehicle only means you’re going to walk even further when you eventually do get stuck and I carry an ATV in my pickup. Winches and tool boxes and tow straps and spare gas are a given.

Only one person mentioned a personal beacon. I will not travel into a remote area any further than I am willing and able to walk out, and that’s not very far, unless I have a rescue plan. I always carry my Garmin InReach. Another brand is made by Spot but I’ve never used theirs. These systems can perform 3 extremely useful functions.
1) It periodically sends your GPS located position to satellites which can then be observed and tracked on the Internet either by friends and relatives with the login credentials.
2) It allows one-way or two-way communications via texting to/from cell phones in areas where cell phone coverage is totally non-existent. It uses the same satellite system as SAT phones but no voice.
3) With the push of one button, an SOS can be sent to the manufacturer’s monitoring system.
The cost is just pennies to a couple of dollars a day depending on amount of use.

It’s also my experience that the worst outcomes result when a second thing goes wrong after the first was ignored or not handled properly. Maintaining situational awareness and being prepared for any likely event is the key.
X2

I also purchased a Garmin InReach. I want a way to call for help if I am outside of cell service. There is more to safety than carrying a weapon. What if I have a flat or need a tow and I am Boondocking?

See thread: Garmin inReach Satellite Communicator: Does anyone use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
A good example of a GPS Satellite Communicator used to rescue an injured skier on March 1st. The articles did not state the brand of GPS.

Injured skier rescued from Hatcher Pass thanks to GPS device, Alaska Air Guard

Alaska Air Guardsmen rescue injured skier at Hatcher Pass
Just my two cents.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #67

Boondocking is fun.
Make sure your fresh water is full and everything else is empty.
Pack out what you pack in.
Never really worried about crooks, they are to lazy to drive that far.
More worried about the generator starting, or running out of beer.
Forget the gun thing, start small and work up as you get more experience.
You will grow to love it.
JRogers984 is offline   Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by troule44 View Post
I don't usually reply to these as others reply so well. However, here's a thought - regardless of whether you carry a gun, I believe hornet spray is one of the most effective defenses you can carry. It's legal, has a 20 foot range and causes temporary problems for a recipient of the spray. We have a can right next door of the camper, as well as at home.
Various states and Canadian provinces have differing laws regarding guns, pepper sprays, tasers, etc. No one will complain about you protecting yourself against a fatal bee sting.
We've camped for over 50 years and frequently boondock. As others said: "when in doubt, use the wheels and leave".
One last thought - what campgrounds have cameras like Walmart?
Being fairly well versed on where I can/can't conceal carry, etc. I always have immediate access to protection measures .. firearm, knife, and as a last resort hornet spray. IMO it's as good as pepper spray which is illegal in many places. It's a "personal insurance" policy and never advertised.
Since I am to old to get into a fist fight; I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
That is my 2 cents wort so to each their own.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #69

Is boondocking safe?

After 55 years, I have decided it is not totally safe. Few things are.
I have met a few people in all of that time, that I wanted nothing to do with and left.
I have ended up in the wrong place a few times in the dark and never had a problem with that scenario.
Good judgement and experience are your best weapons. In case that doesn't work, I have 3 dogs in charge of security and a backup piece.
ppine is offline   Reply
Old 11-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #70
Brake is on left

In my limited years on this marble, I have only drawn a firearm with intent twice. Neither of those two times were in the boonies. Give me more trees and less humans and I'll feel safer than ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRogers984 View Post
More worried about the generator starting, or running out of beer.
One of those is a trip ending event.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #71

I have been a road warrior since the 1960s. When we were young we boondocked because it was cheap and adventurous. Then it became a habit. Now I have a nice trailer which seems very secure compared to sleeping in the open or in a tent. I have 3 dogs for a security system and a heater just in case.

Learn situational awareness. Learn to size up people. I like to meet people I run into in remote locations. Most of them are great. A few times I have met some real losers with large piles of empty wine bottles as an example and headed somewhere else. That is rare. Most of the time you are much safer out there in the boondocks than anywhere else.
ppine is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #72

Boondocking is safe. Most of the time

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/us/texas-deputies-missing-new-hampshire-couple-murdered-rv-stolen.amp
The couple was found buried in a shallow grave. Another couple stole their rig and drove it to Mexico.
hankpac is offline   Reply
Old 02-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #73

The good boondocking sites are not on any app or website. You have to go find them.
ppine is offline   Reply
Old 02-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #74

Dogs. The best security imo is having your pet around. Especially when we need to make a quick trip for supplies and have to leave the RV unattended. Nobody is going to open the door to our RV when we aren't there with our dog and his deep bark going off. Nobody. I also like the idea of the hornet/wasp spray. I will be buying that before our next trip.
kayan121110 is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2020, 12:30 AM   #75

I don't know where the use of wasp/hornet spray came from but I would suggest everyone that thinks that it is an effective alternative to bear or pepper spray take a minute and Google it as a self defense device. It is considered a poison. not something you want to try and defend in a lawsuit for excessive force and really not that effective against a biped. There are many good quality pepper sprays used by LEO's that will bring tears to your eyes!
Cahriad is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahriad View Post
I don't know where the use of wasp/hornet spray came from but I would suggest everyone that thinks that it is an effective alternative to bear or pepper spray take a minute and Google it as a self defense device. It is considered a poison. not something you want to try and defend in a lawsuit for excessive force and really not that effective against a biped. There are many good quality pepper sprays used by LEO's that will bring tears to your eyes!
It could be a defense in a lawsuit in that I was being attacked, feared for my life and bug spray was the only thing on hand. Effectiveness is another matter. But there are instances where even pepper spray would not stop someone intent on causing harm.
PenJoe is offline   Reply
Old 02-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahriad View Post

FWIW, Lead is a poison too and even more deadly if it's traveling 1100 fps.

I think it's a sad commentary on today's society that when one finds themselves in a situation where they have to defend themselves, they have to think of what lawyers will say first.

Best course of action is to not put yourself in a position where you may have to defend yourself. Some boondocking sites are as safe as any other camping area and some aren't due to their location and the presence of questionable individuals.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Old 04-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxtreme30 View Post
I don't want to derail this thread on safety, but I have a quick question if someone could point me in the right direction... How does everyone find their boondocking sites? Most places I see in Oklahoma are fenced off with "no trespassing" signs everywhere. Is there a site, app, or do ya'll just ride around till you find a spot? Thanks for any help and a lot of good info in this thread. Sorry OP, hope I didn't step on any toes.
The absolute best app for ALL public campgrounds/campsites is UC Ultimate Campgrounds. There is a small fee, but worth every penny. It is the only camping app we use.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply
Old 06-26-2020, 04:11 AM   #79

boondocking

I have had a camper in one form or another since 1969. I'm also a Vietnam Vet. So any form of weapon I'm comfortable with. From east end of Long Island where Hunting and fishing is plentiful, So even before the military I learned how to handle firearms. Most of my camping has not been at camp grounds and only mid west or east coast. Generally at sport events or friends home sites with enough room for my camper that is now a class A. I do not like pistols so long guns are my preferred weapon, Shotgun for personal protection when traveling with my wife and 2 large German shepherds. I feel more safe in woods than cities always have. We now live in upstate New York since retired and have plenty of deer and Black bear on our land. I always carry a 45/70 rifle when going on long walks as that will knock down a bear and more than likely kill it, also walk with my large 125 pound German Shepard. As the old lady the cop pulled over said after she told the cop she had multiple weapon on her person and he asked what are you afraid of she answered NOTHING.
The world is not safe carry a weapon you are comfortable with.
Pat wright is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
boondocking