Old 10-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #11

solar

I would concider for future - get 2 100 watt solar panels and mount them on top so while your out hunting the batteries are charging.. I use my batteries all night with CPAC machine, oxygen concentrator, and approximately 2 hours of lights (LED) and laptop for approx4 hours every evening and have had not problems. If you want to run microwave, coffee pot, or TV then go with 2 more Trojan batteries and 2 more 100 watt panels for total of 260ah batteries and 400 watt solar system.

Hope this gives you something to think about.. Happy Hunting

Old 10-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #12

Battery charging from Honda 2000i

I have the identical setup you have.

If your battery does not recharge quickly enough going through the trailers converter, you might try charging directly from the 2000i
to the batteries. The 2000i has a 12 Volt charging circuit accessible from the front panel of the generator. It requires a Honda cable with alligator clips and the connector for the generator end.

Good luck - TacBear

Old 10-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #13

bmaggin1

Your advice is what I need. But what type of batteries do you have? I have 2 stock size 27 batteries that I charge with 2000i. They just don't hold up to the lighter demand your talking about.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry.mahoney View Post
I have 2 stock size 27 batteries that I charge with 2000i. They just don't hold up to the lighter demand your talking about.
Are those G27s true deep cycle batteries, or "marine" (dual-purpose)? The latter will have less capacity.
- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:51 PM   #15

Solar Power

The problem with generators is that a battery takes a long time to top of the charge. Unless you run your generator a long time, it won't charge your batteries to their full capacity. A great way to get around this is to hook up a 20 watt solar panel directly to the batteries. Set it out in the sun while you're hunting. You'll be running your generator anyway, but the solar panel will top them off during the day. 10 amps per battery won't overcharge them, so you don't need a charge controller, unless you go with a bigger panel. In the long run, I believe solar is the way to go. I don't take my generator with me anymore. Although with temperatures in the 20's, I might have to take one. I don't like the sound of the furnace, so I shut it off at night and use a warm sleeping bag.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:26 PM   #16

Question

Reply to: chriscowles

All I know is their size 27 that was part of the new Forester 2251 SLEC Chevy MH.

I hear people like solar but what power are they delivering? A 200 watt panel just doesn't seem to do much other than LED lights, Parasitic loads and maybe a laptop & cell phone at best.

I would like a system where one can run all of the above & a TV & DVR for maybe 4 hrs in the evening.

I'm also confused about say 100 Amp Hr rated battery. Does that mean 100 or just 80 or 50 Amp Hrs? I have not found a practical source of information on how much energy can be taken before it need to be recharged. I do know if one takes too much it reduces the batteries life.

If I'm wrong please correct me.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #17

Larry,
A general rule of thumb is that you should not discharge a battery below 50% of its capacity. Doing so decreases the batteries lifespan considerably meaning number charge-discharge cycles.

If I was in your shoes, I'd consider two 2 six volt golf cart batteries (premium) from Sams Club. In series giving you 12 volts, you will have 232 amp-hours capacity.

In addition, 200 to 300 watts of solar power panels with a good solar controller should give you 100% charged battery by 2pm each day with good sun.

My RV's solar has over 600 amp-hours of battery capacity in 3 separate battery banks, 400 watts of solar, 1500 watt full sine wave inverter, and a 70 amp hour Progressive Dyanmics converter (charger) in case sun hides for several days-run by a generator. My batteries are typically discharged no more than 30% each day which greatly extends their lifecycle. I'll get another 200 watts of solar next Spring for it which will allow me to use more power when the sun is out and not worry about the batteries reaching 100% before sundown.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:15 AM   #18

So if I have 232 AH and can draw up to 50% that would give me 116 AH. 116 AH * 12v = 1392 watts hours assuming no line loss. Would that mean I could draw about 300 watts for 4 hours?

To size a solar then do you take the battery AH say 200 AH & match that to the solar 200 watt panel?

This can get complicated. What if your driving the alternator is charging the house batteries & the solar also is. Once your stopped & the solar is not topping off the batteries the generator is applied. How does all this work as one? It would seem it has to be a complete electronic system.

Thanks for the expertise
Old 10-09-2016, 12:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Larry,
A general rule of thumb is that you should not discharge a battery below 50% of its capacity. Doing so decreases the batteries lifespan considerably meaning number charge-discharge cycles.

If I was in your shoes, I'd consider two 2 six volt golf cart batteries (premium) from Sams Club. In series giving you 12 volts, you will have 232 amp-hours capacity.

In addition, 200 to 300 watts of solar power panels with a good solar controller should give you 100% charged battery by 2pm each day with good sun.

My RV's solar has over 600 amp-hours of battery capacity in 3 separate battery banks, 400 watts of solar, 1500 watt full sine wave inverter, and a 70 amp hour Progressive Dyanmics converter (charger) in case sun hides for several days-run by a generator. My batteries are typically discharged no more than 30% each day which greatly extends their lifecycle. I'll get another 200 watts of solar next Spring for it which will allow me to use more power when the sun is out and not worry about the batteries reaching 100% before sundown.
Good set up, but is it worth all the $$$ you spent on the system? Sounds like Larry already has 2 6v batteries and a generator or plans to buy a generator. He should be good as long as he has a decent converter. My 2 12v Interstate deep cell batteries are now 5 years old, my gennies are 10, and 80℅ of our camping is boondocking. Never run out of battery power and looks to me as though their lifespan is just fine. I would like a solar and inverter system but just can't justify the cost when what I have works so well!!

Larry, I would give what you have a shot, then decide if you need to make changes or not.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:36 AM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry.mahoney View Post
So if I have 232 AH and can draw up to 50% that would give me 116 AH. 116 AH * 12v = 1392 watts hours assuming no line loss. Would that mean I could draw about 300 watts for 4 hours?

To size a solar then do you take the battery AH say 200 AH & match that to the solar 200 watt panel?

This can get complicated. What if your driving the alternator is charging the house batteries & the solar also is. Once your stopped & the solar is not topping off the batteries the generator is applied. How does all this work as one? It would seem it has to be a complete electronic system.

Thanks for the expertise
It doesn't matter how many batteries you have as to how many solar panels you can install. Obviously, more of each is better. The more solar wattage you have and larger solar controller, the faster your batteries will recharge.
I installed 6 x 100 panels and a 40 amp controller into 4 x 12 vdc batteries and haven't used the converter since as the batteries are refilled everyday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	600 Watts of solar panels.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	122467   Click image for larger version

Name:	40 AMP Solar Controller.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	122468  

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y