Old 10-09-2016, 12:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry.mahoney View Post
Reply to: chriscowles

All I know is their size 27 that was part of the new Forester 2251 SLEC Chevy MH.
Dealers often throw in the cheapest "deep cycle" battery they can buy and it's often a marine battery. Those are a compromise ("dual purpose") that power 12v devices while also being able to crank a boat motor. The design of a starter battery differs from that of a deep cycle battery. The result is that marine batteries can't hold a charge as well as a true deep cycle battery that doesn't support cranking an engine. Post the battery make/model here and someone can help you identify it.

I personally own a pair of g27 deep cycle 12v batteries which I use in parallel. My choice supports use at home as battery backup for CPAPs for myself and DW. Also, if one of the batteries dies on the road (unlikely, as I'm rarely dependent on DC) I still have 12v. One battery won't last as long but it will work, at least. With 2 x 6v you need both or you have nothing. The benefit of that arrangement is that 6v batteries can hold more of a charge.

- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:24 AM   #22

I have no idea what my batteries are other than size 27. They came new with the forester 2251 MH without any manufacture label. I'd like to replace them but can't figure out a good replacement.

6v golf may not fit in the limited space of a 22 ft MH, it has 2 size 27 now. What can I fit with the most AH in this space its only 10" tall and has may 2" space after the 2- 27s.

When I shop I only see marine/deep cycle, where do you find true deep cycle?

Old 10-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry.mahoney View Post
When I shop I only see marine/deep cycle, where do you find true deep cycle?
Find a place that only sells batteries. Names like "Battery World", "Batteries and Bulbs", you get the drift. Or search by brand - Interstate, Trojan, Exide, etc and dealer locator.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbdavey View Post
Find a place that only sells batteries. Names like "Battery World", "Batteries and Bulbs", you get the drift. Or search by brand - Interstate, Trojan, Exide, etc and dealer locator.
I second this suggestion. I bought my g27 12v's at a Batteries and Bulbs. The price was good and the staff were very helpful. Pull a battery out and take it with you. Get a matched pair having the same dimension. Be sure they're deep cycle, not dual-purpose.
- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:07 AM   #25

I cannot stress the importance of locating the converter within several feet of the batteries. Even a cheapo factory converter can do a decent job of charging batteries if it is relocated next the batteries. I cannot understand why many RV manufactuters put them in back of the camper as far away as possible from the batteries and connect them with 6 or 8 guage wire. The voltage drop from the thin long wire from converter to battery really kills the converter's ability to recharge the battery.

Several campers ago, I got tired of running my generator 4-5 hours in the morning and another 4 hours in the evening to get the batteries charged to at least 90%. A new 60 amp Progressive Dynamics converter didn't do a much better (faster) job at recharging my batteries even though it was 60 versus the 45 amp factory converter it repalced.

Relocating it next to the battery bank cut my charge time almost in half! I loved not having to run my generator so much each day!

Although I now have solar and my solar controller is only 2 feet away from my battery banks, my 70 amp hour PD converter is also 2 feet away from my batteries in case I need to use my backup generator to charge them.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #26

I keep hearing how important placing the converter next to the batteries is, and while I can see it is a good idea, I don't think it is critical! My converter is at least 28 feet from my batteries. We boondock 7 to 14 days at a time, run the generators 4-5 hours a day, and never have a problem with the charge degrading. The 2 batteries still run the heater all night same on the last night as the first night. So if you can relocate the converter, great! If you can't, no big deal.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
It doesn't matter how many batteries you have as to how many solar panels you can install. Obviously, more of each is better. The more solar wattage you have and larger solar controller, the faster your batteries will recharge.
I installed 6 x 100 panels and a 40 amp controller into 4 x 12 vdc batteries and haven't used the converter since as the batteries are refilled everyday.
I'd like to ask, how well does your system work on cloudy days or if camping in an area with a decent tree canopy? I'd love to go solar and have enough roof for a setup like yours.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:07 PM   #28

Just finished a 25 day trip from OK thru TX,NM,AZ,UT,CO and KS without using shore power or generator. 2 T105 6v, 200W roof mounted solar, Trimetric SC2030 & TM2030. Started every night with 100% battery. Also have 200W portable that plugs in parallel for 400w if needed because of shade. Never needed this trip.
Days Camped 2016 80

nodrawers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #29

I did a week in May - June with high 20's - low 30's all week. I would recommend using a Schmacher or equivalent that is capable of 20 amps. Mine is rated for 12 but I've measured over 15 amps. I ran the heater every night. Here's some of my video's that I think will help you. Be sure and bring a DC clip on ammeter. It's tell you more than anything about your battery charge. Also, I have the 2 - 6 volts and it's the way to go. You'll pick up some tongue weight but it's worth it. Be sure to have full propane as I used a full 30 lb tank in a week running the heater. If you can charge a couple of hours a day at the batteries, you'll replenish them quickly.

https://youtu.be/ZWshTRjsqHY?list=PL...wFWGwXO6sr8NG5

https://youtu.be/foLGtyt9Rsg?list=PL...wFWGwXO6sr8NG5

https://youtu.be/hBD3xmcv1pE?list=PL...wFWGwXO6sr8NG5
Old 11-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
I'm new to the forum and new to travel trailers. I have a surveyor 291 bhss on order and am trying to nail down the proper "upgrades" to have done by the dealer before taking delivery. I have searched high and low for info on this and can't seem to come up with anything definitive, and the dealer/salesman I'm working with seems completely ignorant.

My plan is to be able to take my surveyor 291 bhss boondocking during hunting season for roughly 7 days at a time. Where I hunt we have nighttime temps around 20-35 deg f. I have decided on a dual 6v battery setup and have a Honda 2000 gen.

I have a hunting partner with a similar trailer that has complained about his ability to charge the batteries from the generator while boondocking, saying that the longer we are out, the more the batteries become depleted because the genny or converter won't push enough juice in to fully charge the batteries.

So the burning question is: with the stock surveyor converter, dual 6v batteries, and a Honda 2000 genny, will I run into the same issues? Potentially cutting my trip short because I have hopelessly drained the batteries after 4-5 days? Should I look into a converter upgrade? And if yes, what type/size/brand should I go for given my setup. Unfortunately nobody seems to be able to answer this question.

Sorry for the long post
I recommend a stand alone charger and your Honda. See video below. Using your on-board converter will be very slow.

https://youtu.be/IgQTtnEXlU4

Tags
generator