Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #41

batteries

When we bought our new MH I asked the dealer about swapping the 12 volt batt. with tow 6 volts and they said they could do it but they would not give any credit for the 12 volt batt. So with the cost of the two 6 volt batteries and having a new 12 volt battery that I did not need I decided to just add another 12 volt battery until they fail then I will replace with 6 volts in series.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:52 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
To the OP:

If you have a WFCO converter, you'll have to run the Honda for hours and hours every day to keep up. I tested my WFCO in the best possible condition, by removing it and setting it by the battery box with only two feet of cable, and it still performed poorly.
Well, I've been the original WFCO converter and my Honda 2000i to recharge the two 12v batteries, for ten years now.
It only takes 2-3 hours usually, to recharge them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:49 PM   #43

IMO, A high amp charger connected directly to the battery is what I've found to give the quickest charge. You have to have an ammeter to know if you are charged, voltage alone won't give you enough info.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:38 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
I think location is more important than the converter. I've got a 65 amp multi phase converter feeding four 6V batteries with 460ah total capacity. I finally added a voltage gauge and noticed that it never reached float, even after several hours running the generator. When I got home it took two days for it to reach float plugged into the house.

My converter is about 15 feet from my batteries and I don't know what gauge wire is there, my winter project is going to be looking at moving my converter into the front compartment with the batteries and running 4ga cables. Either that's the problem or my converter isn't doing it's job.
Yes agree, I have #8 wire size and estimate about 10 or so of length. I think the WFCO would be better than a stand alone if I didn't have so much voltage drop. The converter is going to a trickle charge way too early because of the resistance in the wire.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:19 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
I think location is more important than the converter. I've got a 65 amp multi phase converter feeding four 6V batteries with 460ah total capacity. I finally added a voltage gauge and noticed that it never reached float, even after several hours running the generator. When I got home it took two days for it to reach float plugged into the house.

My converter is about 15 feet from my batteries and I don't know what gauge wire is there, my winter project is going to be looking at moving my converter into the front compartment with the batteries and running 4ga cables. Either that's the problem or my converter isn't doing it's job.
If it's a WFCO converter, it is performing to spec. WFCO specs say that the converter will enter float after current output has stabilized at a low level for 44 hours. That's 2 days of non-use of the camper before it drops into float mode (13.2V) - which is what you experienced. If it drops into float mode sooner, you generally have not fully re-charged your batteries.

IIRC, PD converters use 40 hours before they drop into float mode. It takes a while for a battery to charge that last 10%, which is the reason for the delay to float.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:57 AM   #46

"IIRC, PD converters use 40 hours before they drop into float mode. It takes a while for a battery to charge that last 10%, which is the reason for the delay to float."

This is because deep cycle batt builders have changed their charging methods.

They finally realized "100% charged " is not as full as they thought.

The slight overcharge takes a long time , but will add to batt capacity and life.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #47

Hmm, that I didn't know but you're describing exactly what it's doing. I was planning on looking up it's description and operation once I got the panels off and got a look at it and knew it's actual model number.

Thanks for the info!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #48

Please help me understand or point me to the proper thread or link. What is the advantage of using two 6v batteries vs one or two 12v batteries? My Forester 3051S Class C came with two 12v deep cycle batteries. I haven't owned it long enough to have any experience about how long they will last without charging. I'd also have to disconnect and remove them from the box they're in to see any labels as to brand and amp hours. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #49

Typically two 6v more useable power before needing charging. Also much more stout units that can be recharged many more times.

We are power hogs as DW likes to keep it warm when camping. I've killed two sets of 2 group 24's in three years. Just made the switch to 6v

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
Please help me understand or point me to the proper thread or link. What is the advantage of using two 6v batteries vs one or two 12v batteries? My Forester 3051S Class C came with two 12v deep cycle batteries. I haven't owned it long enough to have any experience about how long they will last without charging. I'd also have to disconnect and remove them from the box they're in to see any labels as to brand and amp hours. Thanks.
A good link to help explain it is this one:

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
If you have the same size battery compartment in the steps as I have, the question is moot because 6v batteries are too tall for it.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #52

Thanks Snowman. I had not gotten that far and now will not bother. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Just curious about the 6v comments.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #53

Well it was a good question anyway. Without going back to see what was said earlier, what I can tell you is that 6v golf cart batteries are designed to survive more cycles of deep discharging than are the typical 12v deep cycle batteries. The 12's are more of a hybrid between deep cycle and starting battery.

So if you are designing for boondocking, the 6's can be a better choice. But if you are a casual boondocker, it's not a big deal.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #54

". I haven't owned it long enough to have any experience about how long they will last without charging"

Unless you have a high quality bulb tupe batt checker and do an hourly discharge graph , you will never know.

Most folks that het serious about boondocking will install a SOC -state of charge- meter, that works like a batt gas gauge.

Here is one,

Battery Monitoring | Home Power Magazine

www.homepower.com/articles/solar-electricity/...

Bogart Engineering ’s PentaMetric ... and the dynamic chemical composition inside reflects a varying state of charge ... Using the Meter Info. In addition to
Old 03-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #55

Go Solar!!!

My last two TT I installed solar panels, controllers and multiple batteries. In my 1969 TT the batteries are 6 years old and are in great shape yet. One of the biggest advantage of a good solar system on a camper is when you are not using it. The solar system will condition the batteries and some will even float the batteries once a month. I was told batteries could last up to 15 years on a good solar system. I will find out.

I like this controller, https://www.solarblvd.com/products/m...-remote-meter/

I also get my panels here too, https://www.solarblvd.com/products/s...e-solar-panel/

In the winter I try to keep the snow off of the panels too. I leave one light (LED) on 100% of the time when I am not using the camper just to work the batteries some.

I also like 12 volt TV's. The more things that are 12 Volts the better. Converting to 115 volts makes heat and is less efficient.

Here are some good one', https://www.furrion.com/store/audiovisual/televisions/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2904.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	492.9 KB
ID:	132027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2906.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	132028   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-01-12-16h41m56.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	132041  
Old 03-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #56

Get the last 10% Charge with Solar

That last 10% you get with a float charge is a big deal. It adds to the capacity and it adds to the life of your batteries. A long, higher voltage, lower amperage charge is what tops off the battery. Charge to 90% with your generator in the morning and then let a 20 watt solar panel top it off for the rest of the day.

I have a 100 watt panel on my roof, two stock batteries, and LED lights. I have warm sleeping bags and hate waking up every time the heater kicks on, so we turn the heater off at night. My system cost about $300. If I didn't live in NM, I might need more panels. The only reason I would need generators is if we need AC.

If you want to do the research, here's a handy blog. It will give you more information than you want probably, but there is a lot of good information.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com
Old 03-21-2017, 06:26 AM   #57

The big downside to solar is to work well you have to park in the sunshine.

It may be 20deg F cooler under the trees , so there is a price.

Most long term folks will operate the batts from 50% SOC to 85 or 90% SOC , and live with only that amount of power.

Solar , a power pole or a long drive will bring them to 100% SOC which adds to their life.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #58

I'm waiting for some lightweight, portable, flexible panels before I think too much about solar. From what I've read, Zamp is on the right track, just too expensive and bulky for me at this time. I could still park in the shade and put the panels in the sun using their panel extension cord. Time will tell.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #59

"'Im waiting for some lightweight, portable, flexible panels before I think too much about solar."

They gave been working on this for about 3 decades , they are about 1/2 way there.

Tags
generator